Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

CRV problems

Old 10-14-2003, 07:43 AM
klj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV problems

I have a 2000 CR-V with 72000km. When I crank my wheel full left to make a sharp turn I hear a squeaking noise that seems to be coming from my rear end. If I do it slowly enough...no sound. But if I do it a bit faster.....squeak. Could it be that the difference in wheel speeds is just at the threshold that causes the 4w drive to kick in? I also seem to remember this past winter that that same sound was happening when the 4w drive engaged when it was really cold. Does anyone have any ideas?

My second problem is the power locks. Sometimes after I lock my car it continues to lock multiple times. When it first happened I thought the car was locking-unlocking-locking-unlocking....etc., but when I would go to check the locks never popped back up. It was just continuing to lock....as if I was pressing the lock button on the fob multiple times.

Does anyone have any experience with these problems? I want to get an idea what I'm in for when I take it to the dealer. Are these problems going to be expensive to fix?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:00 PM
mwkirchner

Default Re: CRV problems

Originally posted by klj
I have a 2000 CR-V with 72000km. When I crank my wheel full left to make a sharp turn I hear a squeaking noise that seems to be coming from my rear end. If I do it slowly enough...no sound. But if I do it a bit faster.....squeak. Could it be that the difference in wheel speeds is just at the threshold that causes the 4w drive to kick in? I also seem to remember this past winter that that same sound was happening when the 4w drive engaged when it was really cold. Does anyone have any ideas?

My second problem is the power locks. Sometimes after I lock my car it continues to lock multiple times. When it first happened I thought the car was locking-unlocking-locking-unlocking....etc., but when I would go to check the locks never popped back up. It was just continuing to lock....as if I was pressing the lock button on the fob multiple times.

Does anyone have any experience with these problems? I want to get an idea what I'm in for when I take it to the dealer. Are these problems going to be expensive to fix?

Any help would be appreciated.
The first of your problems is the rear end. There are clutches in there and when the fluid get older and breaks down the clutches chatter and make the noise you are speaking of in here.

You should get the fluid changed ASAP. You may luck out and everything will be okay after the change. You might also end up having to change the clutch pack to cure the problem.

The problem was addressed to Honda dealers in Honda Bulletin #01-079

SYMPTOM
A screech or whine from the rear differential when making a tight turn at low speed (for example, in a parking lot when 4WD engages).

PROBABLE CAUSE
The differential fluid is contaminated or broken down, providing insufficient lubrication.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the dual pump fluid, and test-drive the vehicle. If necessary, replace the rear differential clutch, replace the oil pump assembly (1997 model only), and add a flow collar.

The second question you have is a door lock actuator. This is a common problem on all of the Honda models. Generally it is the driver door actuator that causes this to happen.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:02 AM
klj

mwkirchner,

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:40 AM
m735is

I've got the same problem on my wifes 00 CRV. I haven't even looked at the diff yet, is it easy to change fluid? What tools, how much and what kind of fluid is needed?Thanks.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:00 AM
mwkirchner

Originally posted by m735is
I've got the same problem on my wifes 00 CRV. I haven't even looked at the diff yet, is it easy to change fluid? What tools, how much and what kind of fluid is needed?Thanks.
It is not hard to change at all. There are 2 plugs on the side of the differential. One to fill and one to drain.

You HAVE to get the fluid from a Honda dealer. It is called DUAL PUMP fluid. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ANY OTHER KIND.

Once you have it drained and refilled (should take just 1 quart) you should take the vehicle on the road and do a figure eight with it in both directions. This get the fluid into the clutch packs.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:15 AM
m735is

Thanks for info, I checked her owners manual when she got home, love the 1.1 qts of fluid. Looked at the diff too, very easy(famous last words).
Old 11-29-2003, 02:26 PM
m735is

It was easy-except filling back up. Wish I had a clean pump-mine has other diff oil in it. Worked though. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, good info mwkirchner! :thumbup:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 01-06-2004, 06:50 PM
sawsawsarap

same power locks problem with my 2000 lx. i took it to a dealer once and they said it's just the locking mechanism.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:42 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

very good info, u beat me to it. also I was kinda thinking these ppl should check the rear sway bar links, they get noisey too when they break.