Notices

1998 Honda Civic Radio/CD/Security

Old 10-09-2003, 12:11 PM
wfstewart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Honda Civic Radio/CD/Security

First, let me thank this site and members for having a place for resources and questions. Not sure where to post this but here goes.

I bought my daughter a 1998 Honda Civic LX. The car was broken into and the Radio/CD player was stolen. This happened just before I bought the vehicle. They lost the remotes too.
I understand that the security system is in the radio.
Now, I want to replace with only a factory Radio/CD and the remotes (FOBS).
Anyway, my questions are;
1... What year/s of radio will work (E.G. 1998-1999)
2... If you by a radio from EBAY with the security code, will it work correctly?
3... Buying two new remotes and the radio/cd, then I guess these remotes will have to be programmed at the dealers???

Not sure about the total procedure involved here.

Thanks in advance for any replies

P.S. I bought a CDrom technical service manual (haven't received it yet) and understand schematics well enough.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Dubs
Just wait...

I can't help you but, the same thing happened to my car...while it was on the lot. I just bought an aftermarket Headunit and I really dont care about the security system, I'm not in an area of high crime....

Are you in a place where you feel you NEED a security system? If so, get a better Head Unit, and a seperate BETTER security system....just a thought...
Old 10-09-2003, 03:01 PM
str8edgexx

just go with an aftermarket deck.....they're better sound quality and cheaper than an OEM deck.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:22 PM
96GreenCivic

Ditto, don't bother w/ an OEM deck or security. I ripped out the stock radio (left the tape player in so there wouldn't be a big hole) and replaced it w/ aftermarket. Much better and have a CD player. Also, I have the aftermarket security. That way, I don't even need the OEM deck in the back of the new radio to make it work. In case you didn't know, you have to have the OEM deck behind an aftermarket if you wanna keep the stock keyless.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:40 PM
str8edgexx

Originally posted by 96GreenCivic
Ditto, don't bother w/ an OEM deck or security. I ripped out the stock radio (left the tape player in so there wouldn't be a big hole) and replaced it w/ aftermarket. Much better and have a CD player. Also, I have the aftermarket security. That way, I don't even need the OEM deck in the back of the new radio to make it work. In case you didn't know, you have to have the OEM deck behind an aftermarket if you wanna keep the stock keyless.

:werd: you just got a Civic, so the first thing you should get before anything else is an alarm (since civics are always stolen). Just get an alarm with built in keyless entry, and then an aftermarket head unit, and you're problems are solved.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:10 AM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

Go and buy the aftermarket radio.... I have Alpine CDM-9801 (not too expansive and sounds great!!) ....
http://www.crutchfield.com/

Also get Viper car alarm.. Main key is... Goto local alarm installer shop.. not like Best Buy or Circuit City.. for low quality installation job..

Good luck!!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:06 AM
wfstewart

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to find out what the best options are.
If I do an aftermarket Radio/Alarm/Keyless then I will do it myself since I won't have any major problems to solve if the CD service manual is half way descent in the diagrams.
Order a lot of service parts already (timing belt, pullies, water pump, gaskets, drive belts, front pads, rear shoes, plugs, etc). The usual maintenance stuff. The timing belt and water pump probably are fine but since I'm going through it in detail then I'll do as much as I can stand then have the service records start from where I have good documentation.

Having owned TR3,TR4,TR6s learned that a lot about vehicles and continuous upkeep/maintenance. I've owned and maintained a couple of Yamma powered SHOs so I am not hesitant about doing some mechanical jobs. On the brakes not sure about the drums and rotor's condition so I haven't ordered them yet.

They put a JVC aftermarket Radio/CD player in it after this happened but I'm wanting to keep it as close to factory as possible. In 1998 it seems that there might be two types of connector/plug being used for the radio or radio/cd player, Not sure of that yet.

I have a CD manual for toyotas and Hondas from Mitchell Inc. but it doesn't get into enough detail.
It shows the Security system and the connection/wiring of the Keyless receiver section in the radio but it is vague. I see on the Data Highway three buses Data 0,1,3, valet switch out, security in and a remote in on a LED indicatior. This where the Mitchell CD falls short of documentation.
Where's the Valet switch located???

Has anyone gone into this in any detail.