Notices

INStalling Skunk2 coilovers

Old 10-08-2003, 11:28 PM
DanyeruDono

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INStalling Skunk2 coilovers

Yo guys i just bought a set of SKUNK2 coilovers and KYB GR2 struts *yes i know they are OEM replacements* i havent messed with suspension yet so i am not knowing what to expect when i do the install

The Stock struts and springs all come out together correct?

on the Front struts the strut is slid into the Fork. does it just slide out or do i need to heat it up to get oem out and new one in? or can i just tap it with hammer and it should come lose? i see in the manual a bolt but am not sure if that is to releive pressure from the fork onto the strut or not?

when i install the coilover and new strut DO i need the damper mounting base from the top of the oem strut, to bolt it to my car? i am thinking i will but then that means i need a spring compressor to get the damper mounting base off of the stock unit
and onto the new ones. correct

i DID search many times different ways and i didnt find a how to kind of thing on doing this

i have the haynes manual and have read it, but i wanted everyone advice since there are alot of DIY out there\

Thanks guys *and gals*
Dan
Old 10-08-2003, 11:52 PM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

Default Re: INStalling Skunk2 coilovers

Originally posted by DanyeruDono
Yo guys i just bought a set of SKUNK2 coilovers and KYB GR2 struts *yes i know they are OEM replacements* i havent messed with suspension yet so i am not knowing what to expect when i do the install

The Stock struts and springs all come out together correct?

on the Front struts the strut is slid into the Fork. does it just slide out or do i need to heat it up to get oem out and new one in? or can i just tap it with hammer and it should come lose? i see in the manual a bolt but am not sure if that is to releive pressure from the fork onto the strut or not?

when i install the coilover and new strut DO i need the damper mounting base from the top of the oem strut, to bolt it to my car? i am thinking i will but then that means i need a spring compressor to get the damper mounting base off of the stock unit
and onto the new ones. correct

i DID search many times different ways and i didnt find a how to kind of thing on doing this

i have the haynes manual and have read it, but i wanted everyone advice since there are alot of DIY out there\

Thanks guys *and gals*
Dan
Yes the struts and springs come out together. There is a bolt that you have to take out of the fork on the bottem of the strut and there is another that you have to take out of the bottem of the fork itself then it will pull off of the strut then take the nuts off on the strut tower to release the strut and pull it down.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:48 AM
DanyeruDono

ok thanks on that info, i spoke with SKUNK2 today and they told me i had to remove the whole top damper mounting set up, and then he said i had to remove the perch from the old STRUT??

wtf is that, the perch i mean. do i really need to take it off? does anyone have any pics of what this part is?
and does me taking it off mean i have to CUT it off with a torch or does it have bolts???

please help

o and HOW neccesary is getting an alignment done after redoing the struts and springs? nO matter what? or only if something is wearing funny or is pulling?

thanks again
Dan