Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

2005 CRV Rear Differencial Oil and AT Fluids?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 CRV Rear Differencial Oil and AT Fluids?

Hi,

Dealer says 2005 CRV's (4x4 LX) rear differential oil should be changed every 15,000 miles. They want $90 for fluids and hands. When do you think the rear diff. oil should be replaced?

Also, I drain and fill my ATF fluids (Honda ATF) every 10k miles. Dealer says its "not good to change ATF fluid at 10k but at 60k BECAUSE your tranny needs to get used to the fluid???"

I mean WTF is that? My tranny needs dirty fluid?

Comments? Advice? Pleaseeeee?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:12 AM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ

Dealer says 2005 CRV's (4x4 LX) rear differential oil should be changed every 15,000 miles. They want $90 for fluids and hands. When do you think the rear diff. oil should be replaced?

The fluid should be replaced when worn, you will hear "rubbing" or "moaning" on sharp turns indicating this...it begins on the first turn of a drive (pulling out of a parking space for example) but later it can be heard on any sharp turn. Turn off the radio and listen.

The 2005 & up V's have a cam actuation mechanism in the rear diff that actually makes the fluid wear out sooner. I started hearing the moan at 14K miles on my '06.

It's easy to change: on your 05, remove the charcoal canister cover (three bolts), open the fill and drain plugs (in that order!), drain and refill with 1.3 quarts of Honda Dual Pump Fluid.

DON'T use anything but DPF in the diff. Like Honda's ATF, it is a special formulation for Honda clutches. You could save money by having the corner gas station change the diff fluid for you (takes 10 minutes on a lift) but make sure they have the Honda fluid...offer to supply it if necessary.

Also, I drain and fill my ATF fluids (Honda ATF) every 10k miles. Dealer says its "not good to change ATF fluid at 10k but at 60k BECAUSE your tranny needs to get used to the fluid???"

I mean WTF is that? My tranny needs dirty fluid?
I don't think that is true, Honda factory-fill motor oil has a moly additive in it so they want you to keep it in the engine at least 5K miles, but I have never heard of anything special about the ATF factory fill.

Remember that a drain & fill on the Honda ATs only gets a third of the fluid out each time...so if it's "used to the fluid" that's in there, there's STILL a lot for the trans to be familiar with...

I think 10K is rather like overkill on ATF fluid replacement, I have had no problems using the factory schedule (every 30K) in my Acura which has 120K miles on it.

HTH

Last edited by Carbuff; 09-23-2006 at 05:20 AM. Reason: TYPO
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Accord2005NJ

Hi Carbuf,

Thanks for reply. Amazing. Yes, I hear the moaning noise (14k miles on my 2005 CRV) so the car is going in for rear diff fluid replacement Tuesday. The dealer wants $90 for fluid and work (how much are 2 quarts of this fluid?). However, I might take it to my mechanic who might do it cheeper?

As for ATF, it costs me just the price of fluid and $10 so I do it every 10K both on my 2005 Accord and CRV. I think also I will be changing my diff fluid at the same time in the future.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:18 AM
dldavis

Default newbie logs in w/ crv ? on diff. fluid

OK, so I just joined this AM--forgive me if this has been answered 10 times; I am taking my 2005 Honda CRV (20,000) miles back to the dealer for a differential fluid change. The car is still under warranty, so there will be no charge. HOWEVER, the dealer said, they've been getting this complaint a lot and I'm thinking perhaps a recall might be coming?!....anybody heard that?. My independent honda repair guy said it was great that this happened while under warranty, demonstrating a concern that needs to be covered long term. I was not told at purchase that I would have any problems of any sort (like needing to change diff fluid) in the first year. PS, I LOVE THIS CAR! thx
Old 11-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by dldavis
OK, so I just joined this AM--forgive me if this has been answered 10 times; I am taking my 2005 Honda CRV (20,000) miles back to the dealer for a differential fluid change. The car is still under warranty, so there will be no charge. HOWEVER, the dealer said, they've been getting this complaint a lot and I'm thinking perhaps a recall might be coming?!....anybody heard that?. My independent honda repair guy said it was great that this happened while under warranty, demonstrating a concern that needs to be covered long term. I was not told at purchase that I would have any problems of any sort (like needing to change diff fluid) in the first year. PS, I LOVE THIS CAR! thx
The Honda service interval on rear diff fluid is 90K miles.(60K on the '07s) That's why Honda is picking up the tab. However, even the first generation Vs needed it changed every 30K miles.

I don't think it's going to be recalled. The moaning is an indicator the fluid is wearing out. That's when it should be changed. It will probably go longer the next time...supposedly humidity shortens the life.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Steveje0711

Originally Posted by Carbuff
The fluid should be replaced when worn, you will hear "rubbing" or "moaning" on sharp turns indicating this...it begins on the first turn of a drive (pulling out of a parking space for example) but later it can be heard on any sharp turn. Turn off the radio and listen.

The 2005 & up V's have a cam actuation mechanism in the rear diff that actually makes the fluid wear out sooner. I started hearing the moan at 14K miles on my '06.

It's easy to change: on your 05, remove the charcoal canister cover (three bolts), open the fill and drain plugs (in that order!), drain and refill with 1.3 quarts of Honda Dual Pump Fluid.

DON'T use anything but DPF in the diff. Like Honda's ATF, it is a special formulation for Honda clutches. You could save money by having the corner gas station change the diff fluid for you (takes 10 minutes on a lift) but make sure they have the Honda fluid...offer to supply it if necessary.

I don't think that is true, Honda factory-fill motor oil has a moly additive in it so they want you to keep it in the engine at least 5K miles, but I have never heard of anything special about the ATF factory fill.

Remember that a drain & fill on the Honda ATs only gets a third of the fluid out each time...so if it's "used to the fluid" that's in there, there's STILL a lot for the trans to be familiar with...

I think 10K is rather like overkill on ATF fluid replacement, I have had no problems using the factory schedule (every 30K) in my Acura which has 120K miles on it.

HTH
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving! My girlfriend's 2000 CRV (2WD) needs to have the rear diff fluid changed. From your post, I see that 'it's easy', but you ref a charcoal filter. I don't see anything resembling a filter on the diff housing, which could be because it's a 2WD vs. 4WD? All I see are two plugs (upper and lower) on the driver side of this housing. Can it really be this simple? The dealer wants $150 to change and I'm concerned there's a hidden gotcha somewhere in the procedure. If there isn't, the dealer's doing one heck of a rip-off at that price.

Many thanks,
Steve
Old 11-23-2006, 01:45 PM
simplyredvw

Originally Posted by Steveje0711
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving! My girlfriend's 2000 CRV (2WD) needs to have the rear diff fluid changed. From your post, I see that 'it's easy', but you ref a charcoal filter. I don't see anything resembling a filter on the diff housing, which could be because it's a 2WD vs. 4WD? All I see are two plugs (upper and lower) on the driver side of this housing. Can it really be this simple? The dealer wants $150 to change and I'm concerned there's a hidden gotcha somewhere in the procedure. If there isn't, the dealer's doing one heck of a rip-off at that price.

Many thanks,
Steve
You do realize that a 2WD CRV does not have a rear differential.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Steveje0711

Default 00 CRV Rear Diff Fluid Change

A fact my girlfriend also quickly corrected me on. I take it that there are no unique procedures to changing diff fluid in this vehicle?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
jiggajc2003

Default My cars making that noise

i have an 05 crv with 75K and yea its been making that noise didnt want to take it to the dealer dunno why, anyway, ill have my mechanic do this asap, what else could make this skipping clunking noise when making turns from the rear, my mechanic seems to think my rear right tire is pushed in to much, says theres a half inch difference.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 PM
HanmeSAL

Originally Posted by Carbuff

HTH

Good info, I was just about to say the same.
Do you work for Honda or Acura by any chance?