Notices

Is a S2000 really worth it? HELP

Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:closeup:

Can't quite see the pics....

I'd prefer taking a corner at 70mph than going straight at 120mph :dunno: You're going to be buying and driving it dude... Seems like you're more into the straight line raw power... so I guess keep your GSRT...
Old 07-12-2006, 04:51 AM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by rugsr
So I test drove a S2000 today and was not impressed!

WELL i was and wasnt. The car is awesome. looks great and feels perfect. like im sitting in a jet or something. steering is awesome and i let the rear end kick out to see what happenes. i took my foot off the gas a smidge and it straightened right out. just driving it for 10 minutes i got looks up the ass, guys/girls and even this 80yr old guy checking his mail. He tossed me a thumbs up! good stuff

What im not impressed with is its performance. I think its because im used to my 300+ HP teg. The 2000 is a 2.0L and I think has around 220HP, so theres a big difference in HP. I jumped on it and was waiting for it to kick in, "wheres the power!" Even VTEC kinda seemed like nothing.

They want 20K but I got him down to 18,400. Exhaust has a dent and it has a small crack in the windshield.

DONT GET ME WRONG....I LOOOOVE THE CAR! But im not sure if I want to buy a slower car then I have. I guess im more into straight line then corners.

Convince me to buy this and sell the GSRT!
So you say you drove it and was not impressed. Why in the world do you want people to "convince" you to buy it??? You already answered your own question.

From the exhaust pics, you can tell the car has been backed into something since the chrome exhaust piece has been pushed far up onto the actual tailpipe.

And resize the pics please, they're way too big.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

my thing is i want both...probably could afford it.
i could always boost this too. im sure its been done, but i heard the S2K blow their shafts at 300HP+....true/false?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Buyimports2

Originally Posted by rugsr
my thing is i want both...probably could afford it.
i could always boost this too. im sure its been done, but i heard the S2K blow their shafts at 300HP+....true/false?
The stock differential is kind of weak. If you have maybe 300 or more hp at the wheels and launch at a drag strip you could bust it. It's not a drag car(see paragraph below). My buddy supercharged his s2k, and has had NO problems with the diff. He doesn't launch it though.

The s2k is NOT a drag car. If you want straight line speed only, you are completely wasting your money. It's not slow, but a drag car is the last thing it was designed for.

Cliffs notes: awesome car, but not for the dragstrip
Old 07-12-2006, 12:34 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Heh, if you want to go fast in just a straight line look elsewhere.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:12 PM
LateApex
Track Day Club

Originally Posted by evolution
Heh, if you want to go fast in just a straight line look elsewhere.
I agree with that statement.

You expect a car to accelerate, decelerate and turn competently. The S2000 does all of that. If your expectation is only competence in the first of these three abilities, then the S2000 is not the car for you.

In 2004 at the Nationals of the Tire Rack/SCCA Solo II, B-Stock competition, the S2000 took places 1-16, a Z4 BMW took 17th, S2000 took the next places 18-28, a 350Z took 29th, then two more S2000 before the first Porcshe Boxter place in 31st. ( http://ww2.scca.com/soloresults.php?ID=15 )

That’s a clear demonstration that it possesses the three major competencies of an automobile.

Because of that result, the S2000 was moved up to A-Stock where it now competes with cars having motors with as much as 160 bhp greater than the S2000. So, in 2005, it came in 3rd behind a Porsche 993 and a Corvette, then 5th and 7th mostly with a bunch of ZR1 Corvettes in between. That's a further demonstration of competency.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:36 AM
rugsr

ok so mabye i will keep both
GSRT for straight lines
S2K for turns and AutoX

ONE THING, should I be worried about theft like I am with the teg?
It has an alarm but do I need fuel cutoff, rerouting the hood cable, etc etc?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 PM
rugsr

WELL I did it....I picked up the S2K today....I LOVE THE CAR!!!!!
Yea its slower then the GSRT BUT everyone loves it!. I drove about 40miles today nd had over 10 people giving thumbs up, saying nice car and even one chick flipping out saying she loved the car and she MIST have a ride. IM LIKE wtf let me enjoy the car first....HAHA
onething though RWD is much different then FWD. I learned this the hard way on the way home =(

HAHA kidding. its all safe and locked up tight!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:09 AM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

one thing i found out about my s2k... its alot faster than it feels.. Ill be honest, the car when going in a strait line just dosent feel fast. But pull it up to a mustang gt or a STOCK z28. Youll kill the gt and only be a car or so behind the z28. Both of which feel MUCH FASTER than my s when driving or riding in them. It just doesnt put you in the seat like it should.

Since you seem like a mostly strait line racer like myself you will probably need to know this info pretty soon. In the very likely event that the transmission and rearend go out in it , replace both with upgraded 04+ parts(cheapest) or comptech (rear end and throw in a 4.56 gear while your in there). I did. I got mine off of car-part.com. IMO The 04 trans is MUCH better than the 00 both in shift feel and acceleration.

Last edited by h22accord; 07-14-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:06 AM
rugsr

thanks man ^
what octane gas? is 93oct a must?