Notices

Comptech Supercharger and N/A cams??

Old 01-18-2006, 12:52 PM
BeanSpec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech Supercharger and N/A cams??

I was just seeing what your opinions are about a little argument i'm having with a freind of mine.
I understand that a more aggresive N/A cam will cause more overlap and so might not be good with a FI set up. But on a Comptech supercharger on a f20c, and a set of N/a cam with a good gear timing would increase the effect of a LOWER boost setting. I believe the low boost is 5psi, and the cams will provide higher lift and duration stuffing more air in the cylinders.
WELL, i'm not the expert so i'd like to hear your opinions. basiccaly what im trying to proove is that a comptech S/C s2k VS a Comptech S/C car with Spoon cams; the one with cams will make more power
correct me if im wrong
thanks in advance
Old 01-18-2006, 02:48 PM
AcuraFanatic

If the timing is retarded enough, then yes it would make more power.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

I believe so too.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:13 PM
BeanSpec

5 psi with 11:1 compression and an N/A aggressive cam with the exhaust cam retarded a few degrees to limit overlap seems to me like a really reliable way to get some pony and a good powerband.
Just curious, the comptech runs how much boost? and the peak boost is at the highest rpm?? or is it a linear thing with the boost the same the whole way throughout the power band??
Old 01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by BeanSpec
5 psi with 11:1 compression and an N/A aggressive cam with the exhaust cam retarded a few degrees to limit overlap seems to me like a really reliable way to get some pony and a good powerband.
Just curious, the comptech runs how much boost? and the peak boost is at the highest rpm?? or is it a linear thing with the boost the same the whole way throughout the power band??
I think it's 6psi, I'd assume like most comptech blowers it's a positive displacement blower, so just more power all across the band.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:56 PM
dubcac
I

The comptech blower is 6psi. All superchargers are peak boost at peak rpm, because they are belt driven from the crankshaft pulley. If you want full boost throughout a wider rpm band, go turbo. As for the cams, as long as you can tune out most of the overlap, which is easiest with a mild NA cam, you should be good.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:45 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Originally Posted by dubcac
All superchargers are peak boost at peak rpm, because they are belt driven from the crankshaft pulley. If you want full boost throughout a wider rpm band, go turbo.
Well not exactly. There are many different types of superchargers. The comptech supercharger for example is a centrifugal supercharger. It works like a belt driven turbo. The higher the revs, the higher the boost. The Jackson Racing supercharger like the one for the preludes are another type of supercharger called a ROOTS type twin-screw supercharger. Those are the kind that make full boost as soon as you step on the gas. So, if you wanted full boost throughout a wider rpm band, that would be the type of charger to use . The only draw back to a supercharger is its parasitic drag on the engine making it less efficient than a turbo. In that you can make more horsepower (say +15-30) with a turbo at 6psi than you can with the supercharger pushing the exact same amount of boost.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
dubcac
I

You're right, I forgot that little word centrifugal in there. Although, the Roots blower is still belt driven off the crank, so it will spin faster and flow more at higher rpm. Wasn't someone pursuing producing a roots type blower for the s2k? I had heard something about it a while back, but nothing recently. Another advantage of turbo over S/C is the ability to change boost level with a boost controller, instead of having to swap pulleys.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:59 PM
BeanSpec

Also the centrifugal charger you can use an intercooler, BOV and boost controller.
I think peak boost at peak RPM is very good for driveability and fuel consumption. And would be fun as hell to drive.

Ever see the superchargers that can be turned on with a switch. Its like hooked up like a A/C condenser with a switch the the centrifugal charger on the end of that. Only ever seen it for a VW, but its a cool idea.
Seems like it could cause tuning problems and you would need to have like a second fuel map for boost. Oh well.

Still trying to figure out how to get the perfect amount of power from the s2k, but i think the SCer is it, with some cams and a real good tune.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:15 PM
dubcac
I

They generally use aftercoolers on centrifugal blowers...but if you want to make your own piping, you could run an intercooler.