Notices

Accident cause: Suspension problem?

Old 11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
NicoSommer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident cause: Suspension problem?

I have a 2,5 month young 3.500 miles driven 2005 S2000. Besides the known 2nd gear problem I was nothing but happy. Since Saturday night I'm happy being still alive.
On my way home on a empty freeway (rare condition in Southern California) my live was challenged without any warning.
A short sharp metallic bang and the S2000 were almost completely out of control at 68mi/h and were spinning several 360s. Finally I ended up in the soft bank in a huge cloud of dust after passing luckily the unforgiving concrete of a bridge.
The good news first: I was able to keep the car more or less on the road and the S2000 seem to be flipping over resistant.
The scary bad news: The right rear upper A-frame was broken off the Hub (the cause). The suspension is after this wild ride heavily damaged - I’m looking at ~ $10.000 repair.
Honda USA reacted insulting and of cause declined any responsibility.
I’m from Germany – use to drive fast but responsible and without accident for over 30 years – live now in California for 8 years (means I know the roads) and with 52 certainly not a silly punk.
At Honda USA they play the “Blame the customer” game and I’m seeking for help and information. Any similar events out there…?

PS. I checked the freeway on the next day at daylight for unusual road condition and was unable to blame the incident on CalTrans.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would be very persistant with Honda. Look into an attorney. Claiming that it was your fault is rather arrogant, IMO, so I would look on getting some sort of compensation from them.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 AM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

That sounds horrible. So is just gave out. No patches of oil or water? How much mileage did you have on the tires?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:54 PM
jurn

Were your spring spacers removed? There have been numerous incidents of people loosing control or damaging the suspension because the dealership has not removed the rubber spring spacers used during shipping of the car.

You might want to try this question at www.s2ki.com forum. A lot more S2000 people in there.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

Originally Posted by evolution
That sounds horrible. So is just gave out. No patches of oil or water? How much mileage did you have on the tires?
My guess is 3500 miles on the tires, since the whole car had 3500 on it.

Spring spacers = good possibility.