Notices

any one else having rear end problems?

Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one else having rear end problems?

I have a 2000 s2000 that i bought a couple of months back. I wont say that i never race it but i rarely race it or dog it out(usually only one or two saturday nights a month). Im driving home on wednesday and i thought i heard excess gear noise but since i hardly ever ride with the top up(which i was doing that day)i thought i was just not used to it. Well friday that excess gear noise suddenly and completely out of nowhere turned into a 55 mph scream that was so loud i could hear it with the top down and over the radio(turned up all the way). I immeadatly pulled over and called a tow truck.

They take it to pensacola honda where im told im missing four teeth from the ring gear and one or two from the pinion and that its going to cost any where from 3500 to 5500(depending on weather i wanted new or refurbished parts)to have it fixed.

Then im like damn i dont have that kind of money right now. So i just orderd a 4.56 gear from ricks s2k. Im not sure yet if my "pumpkin" is broken yet(the mechanic at honda couldnt say for sure but his price included a new pumpkin/differential/carrier housing), so i may be ordering a comptech reinforced housing as well. Has anyone else had any problems at all with their rear end. I havent raced or dogged my car in at least two weeks, but could i have damaged it two weeks ago and it took driving every day covering at least 600 miles in those two weeks for the problem to surface?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:29 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

?? I don't understand, do you mean your LSD
Old 10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Originally Posted by evolution
?? I don't understand, do you mean your LSD
Im just repeating what the guy at honda told me. The rear chunk/lsd/ring and pinion/what ever it is. If i had acctually taken it apart my self i would know more about it but since it looked nothing like a ford 8.8(the only rear differential ive ever messed with) i didnt even attempt to take it apart and look at it. He said that the gears in it were missing teeth and there were metal shavings in the bottom of the pumpkin.

It gets worse though, this morning i decided to go get it and take it to my shop which no lie is 4 blocks from the dealership. (like a dumbass :slap: )I figured that it would make it because of the short distance. I got a block from the dealer and it differential made a loud WHAM, Then nothing, the car wont move forward or reverse. If someone puts the car in first and lets out on the clutch i can watch the drive shaft spin but is just sounds like metal to metal and the spedo moves but the car dosent. So i think im going to have to have to get a whole pumpkin.

Last edited by h22accord; 10-08-2006 at 07:44 PM.