Notices

replacing plastic window panel

Old 02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
flynfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing plastic window panel

Has anyone replaced the panel with the plastic window on it. My honda dealer sells the panel with the window but they wont install it. I have a 2000 s2000 with a slice in the window. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:23 AM
AcuraFanatic

From my understanding it's not a quick job. I think it's around 7-8 hours worth of work. For the amount of work you're going to do to take it out, I'd invest in a glass back window.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:25 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it sucks. Its very involved. The entire roof needs to come of and there is alot ov rivets and stuff involved
Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM
flynfish

I just stopped by another honda dealer who showed me that its just a matter of a zipper hidden under some material and velcro. Ill give it a shot and post how it came out. Part wont be in for a week though.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Ant_Knee_S2K

I'm about to have to do the exact same thing. I put my top down the other day and heard a loud pop behind my head. I knew that wasn't good. Now I have a nice crack in the plastic.

Anyone replace with Glass? Is it as easy as replacing the plastic? Does the glass just fold up in the top the same as the plastic. It seems like the folds would have to shift to accommodate the glass shape.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:43 PM
flynfish

Default You cant replace the plastic window

Here is the deal. The window zips on 3 sides and is sewn in on the bottom. Therefore the whole top has to be replaced. I had 2 service guys willing to order me the window for $232 dollars but it cant be done. I went to several independant top guys and 2 Honda dealerships and they all told me the whole top had to be replaced. The cheapest estimate I got was $1400 with labor. Honda will get you for about 2 grand. The top itself is about $850 with shipping (non honda top but it has the green tinted window). I was selling this car anyway so I just traded it in.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
drdre1443

I just picked up my s2000 from hendrick honda in charlotte NC. My top came down 2 weeks ago and ripped my rear plastic window. I had the 100K extended warranty. although it doesn't cover the top, the service lady named cristi called the warranty rep and the rep looked at it was boggled, and she then called a honda rep. They said they never heard of a plastic window ripping due to the top coming down. so they replaced it as a "good faith" warranty.

she showed me the bill that was being charged to warranty and it was 1300+ dollars. they replaced JUST the plastic window, not the whole top. Labor was 12 hours.

Also, for free they replaced my clutch disc due to the TSB on the "buzz" when decelerating. Got a rental for 3 days for free and had my driver's sidewindow regulator replaced as well

I would call Hendrick and hear it straight from the horse's mouth that the plastic CAN be replaced, although it is costly.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:06 PM
biggrengo

honda dealers dont do this repair, they send it out to specialty convertable top shops. then they mark it up for you. see if honda will do repair under warranty, if not, take to the specialty shop yourself.