Notices

Blown Rod

Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 AM
JDMsType

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Rod

I just put a buddy club pro spec exhaust and fujita intake on my car. I took it out and got into it for the first time and later on heard a knocking. I work at a Toyota dealership and one of the techs told me it sounds like a blown rod. He told me to trash the car and get another but I still owe on it so that is not an option. The guy normally knows what he is talking about but I might get a second opinion. Either way, after gettting some nice free mods my car is out of commission for a little while. My friend just got his teg back from Inline Pro in Northern VA and they said they had a K24 block they could put on it for me. So with all of that said and now scrambling to find $2000, just how much power will the K24 block and K20 head give me? Heard of this but I was just curious so I could possible take my problem and look at it like an investment!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM
flyromeo3

get a second opinion.

Exhaust and intake will not cause you to blow a rod.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
JDMsType

Def not, I certainly don't suspect that it was the exhaust and intake. It's actually probably my fault because when I had my oil changed last time I don't think they put enough in. I had my oil changed yesterday too and my friend told me it was really low for 3,500 miles on that oil change. It wasn't burning oil or anything so I think that the low oil and punching the engine combined to blow the rod. Shitty situation for me but I will def check my oil levels once a week from here on out
Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 AM
JDMsType

The rod theory might be out the window. The car still runs fine (although I'm not driving it) so I'm thinking it may be a vlave. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:38 PM
FLAT_LINER
Ridin Dirty

Originally Posted by JDMsType
The rod theory might be out the window. The car still runs fine (although I'm not driving it) so I'm thinking it may be a vlave. Anyone have experience with this?
if it was anything of that nature there would be enough of a difference for you to know that something is wrong
Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the coil packs one at a time while the engine is running if the knock gos away at #3 you have a bad rod bearing on #3 or the 2 crank bearings adjacent to that rod. Do a cylinder leak down test if you hear air pumping into your intake you have a bent intake valve. If you hear air in the exhaust you have a bent exhaust valve. Do a compression test if it is low squirt some oil in the cylinder if it gos up you have bad rings. Take your oil pan off take a peek see if the rod is sow bent it is rubbing the cylinder also look at your cylinders for 4 corner seizure this causes the piston to slap.

http://www.pwab.org/PISTONDIAGNOSTICGUIDE.htm