Notices
Professional Racing Formula 1, Indy Racing League, Speed World Challenge, etc.

Honda Racing: Honda's Eli Tomac and Trey Canard go 3-4 at Budds Creek National

Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Racing: Honda's Eli Tomac and Trey Canard go 3-4 at Budds Creek National

The excitement continued this past Saturday at Budds Creek Motocross Park in southern Maryland for round seven of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, and the Honda Red Riders fought through the hot and humid conditions to post solid results. Muscle Milk-supported GEICO Honda's Eli Tomac continues to impress, landing on the podium for the third consecutive week with a third overall. Team Honda Muscle Milk's Trey Canard picked up a strong fourth-place finish with 3-4 scores aboard his Honda CRF45R.
450 Race
When the gate dropped for moto one of the 450 class, Canard grabbed a second-place start and then took over the early lead. With a crowd of competitors in tow, Canard led the first four laps before relinquishing two positions to finish third. During the final race of the day, he launched off the line to a fourth-place start, moving into third by lap two. He fought hard to maintain his position, ultimately taking the checkered in fourth. His 3-4 marks landed him fourth overall for the day.
"Overall I'm happy with how today went because we made a lot of progress," stated Canard. "I think the bike was the best that it has been all season so that was good. I was able to lead some more laps and really feel like I am getting closer to a win. We are leaving healthy and with points, so I am looking forward to getting back on the podium next weekend."
During his second appearance aboard the Team Honda Muscle Milk CRF450R, Fredrik Noren put together a respectable performance, landing 12th overall with 10-16 scores. He grabbed a 15th-place start in moto one and worked his way into 10th by the end of the race. During the final moto of the day, Noren grabbed another mid-pack start and began methodically advancing through the field. While running an impressive eighth, the Sweden-native went down twice, causing him to lose multiple positions. He remounted his bike and pressed on, crossing the finish line in 16th.
"I'm a little upset with how today went, to be honest," said Noren. "The first moto was good. I got an okay start but worked my way up to 10th by the end of the race. In the second moto, I got another okay start and made some passes, putting myself in a good position. I think I was running eighth before I went down twice and lost a lot of time. My riding was strong all day but just made some mistakes that set me back. We will continue to test and work from here, trying to get better every weekend."
Muscle Milk-sponsored GEICO Honda rider Eli Tomac has continued to be a constant threat since returning to the lineup three races ago. Tomac scored a fourth-place finish in moto one, holding the position from nearly beginning to end. In moto two, he got off the line to a sluggish start and then worked his way from 11th to third by the end of the 17-lap race. His 4-3 scores landed him on the podium for the third consecutive week.
"Honestly, at the start of the day I didn't know if I was going to be racing, so to turn it into a podium is awesome," explained Tomac, who had been suffering from nagging back pain. "It was fun. I got in a good flow and had some good lines out there. Honestly, it was a really tough track to pass on. A lot of the lines drifted into each other, so when you tried to pass the other guys would kind of cut you off. To make a pass stick, you had to be really aggressive and hope the other guys would make a mistake."
250 Race
Justin Bogle led the 250 efforts for the Muscle Milk-supported GEICO Honda squad, grabbing sixth overall with 4-5 marks. In moto one, Bogle propelled his CRF250R off the line, nailing down the holeshot and early lead. He maintained his lead for the opening laps of the race before losing a couple positions and finishing fourth. Bogle struggled in moto two, getting off the line to a top-10 start and spending the remainder of the 30 minute-plus-two lap race working his way into fifth.
"I got tight. It definitely wasn't my best display of riding today," stated Bogle. "The day started off good in practice and I felt good. For me, practice usually doesn't go that well, so it was a good start to the day and a great start to the first moto with the holeshot. We led a few laps and then ran up front the rest of the time. Moto two was just really tough for me. I didn't get the greatest start and got shuffled back the first couple laps. I felt good and was catching guys at the end, but I need to make it happen sooner."
Teammate Matt Bisceglia and Zach Bell persevered despite a challenging day to finish 15th and 16th overall, respectively.
The Focus: Budds Creek Honda History
The first time a national was hosted just below the Chesapeake Bay at Budds Creek Motocross park was in 1989. That first year, American Honda swept both races with Mike Kiedrowski on a 125 and Jean-Michel Bayle on a 500cc two-stroke; 250s did not race that year. Kiedrowski and Jeff Stanton swept both classes again the next year for Honda. Other Honda Red Riders swept the podium three more times at the southern Maryland track, including 1995 and 1996 with Jeremy McGrath and Steve Lamson, then in 1999 with Kevin Windham and Tallon Vohland.**
450 Class Overall Results
1. Ryan Dungey 2-1
2. Ken Roczen 1-2
3. Eli Tomac (Honda) 4-3
4. Trey Canard (Honda) 3-4
5. Weston Peick 6-5
6. Josh Grant 9-6
7. Andrew Short 8-7
8. Brett Metcalfe 7-11
9. Phillip Nicoletti 12-8
10. Matthew Goerke 11-10
450 Class Championship Points (after 7 of 12 rounds)
1. Ken Roczen 327
2. Ryan Dungey 301
3. Trey Canard 264
4. James Stewart 212
5. Brett Metcalfe 192
6. Josh Grant 186
7. Weston Peick 162
8. Andrew Short 161
9. Chad Reed 132
10. Malcolm Stewart 128
250 Class Overall Results
1. Blake Baggett 3-1
2. Jeremy Martin 2-2
3. Jason Anderson 1-7
4. Christopher Pourcel 6-3
5. Cooper Webb 5-4
6. Justin Bogle (Honda) 4-5
7. Justin Hill 13-6
8. Cole Seely (Honda) 10-9
9. Anthony Rodriguez 9-1010. Marvin Musquin 8-14
250 Class Championship Points (after 7 of 12 rounds)
1. Jeremy Martin 294
2. Blake Baggett 267
3. Cooper Webb 261
4. Justin Bogle 225
5. Christopher Pourcel 211
6. Jason Anderson 2067. Marvin Musquin 201
8. Cole Seely 166
9. Justin Hill 150
10. Jessy Nelson 144

More...