Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   1999 Accord: Do I have remote keyless entry? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/170398-1999-accord-do-i-have-remote-keyless-entry.html)

litzdog911 01-01-2005 10:20 AM

1999 Accord: Do I have remote keyless entry?

Happy New Year to all of you Honda experts!

I just received a 1999 Honda Accord LX as a gift from my mom who can no longer drive. She lost all but one key, however, and she doesn't remember if the car had the remote keyless entry option. How can I tell if this option is installed?

I'll be visiting my local dealer on Monday to get a second key, since I understand that they're specially coded and I can't just get one made at the local hardware store, right?

Thanks for any tips!

Jim

syclone 01-01-2005 11:28 AM

it's standard on the ex models.. but i believe it's a dealer installed option for lx. not really sure how you can tell if you have it or not..

wedley2 01-01-2005 12:20 PM

id just get an alarm installed w/ the keyless entry option installed, kill 2 bird with once.:)

litzdog911 01-01-2005 12:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I supposed the dealer can tell me on Monday. I'm just hoping that it's already installed and I'll just need to buy and program a keyless remote. But if it's not installed, then I'll certainly consider an after-market alarm/keyless entry system.

Just hoping that knows of a way to determine whether it's installed or not.

Thanks!
Jim

MrChad 01-01-2005 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by litzdog911
Thanks for the suggestions. I supposed the dealer can tell me on Monday. I'm just hoping that it's already installed and I'll just need to buy and program a keyless remote. But if it's not installed, then I'll certainly consider an after-market alarm/keyless entry system.

Thanks!
Jim

Keys are pricey you may be able to find a blank one on ebay and have it cut...I think you can even program the key yourself. You need the key code I think for the dealer...I think they get it from your VIN.

www.handa-accessories.com should have the LX remote access kit.

VPUPPY 01-01-2005 04:33 PM

if you do have factory keyless, check out autozone or even online for oem replacement remotes(non honda). those will be cheaper and look eactly the same.

kenton 01-01-2005 06:23 PM

The reprogramming is easy.

You turn key to accessory like 3 times on and off and then you do something and something. Google that shiz son!

klnyc 01-01-2005 07:32 PM

I also have 1999 Acd.LX. I installed keylee entry by myself. I think dealer was 400.00 for that crap. Goto majustichonda and order the keyless entry for under 125.00. Good luck, it pretty ezy, if i can do so can you.

shipu7la 01-01-2005 07:54 PM

Don't buy it from Dealership

Originally Posted by litzdog911

Thanks!
Jim

If you want to buy a remote, do not buy it from honda dealers. They will probably charge you about $200. so, buy it from online about $50 bucks. Go to the dealership and find out if you have keyless entry/alarm system installed in your car.

MrChad 01-02-2005 12:39 PM

www.handa-accessories.com
Has the remote replacement for ~$60
Has the remote entry kit for ~$155
Has the security system (w/ Keyless) for ~$240

It couldn't hurt to just add the full Honda OE security system for that price.
The greatest feature that I think keyless can offer...remote trunk pop...wow

They have that too for an additional ~$26

MrChad 01-02-2005 12:46 PM

woops! 2x post

litzdog911 01-04-2005 10:26 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I stopped by my local Honda dealer today and they verified that my '99 Accord LX does not have the remote keyless option. The way he checked was pretty clever, I thought .... he just looked at the trunk release to see if it was the electronically controlled version.

So now I need to decide if I should install the remote keyless option and trunk release myself, or have the dealer or another service shop do the work.

How hard is this installation? klnyc above said the install was pretty straight forward. I've reviewed the installation instructions, and it looks rather involved. Any advice from folks who've done it would be appreciated. Thanks!

agiorgio 01-06-2005 05:40 AM

I've got a 95 Accord EX, and I don't have keyless entry either. How hard/expensive would it be to add the OEM keyless entry system to my car?

H & A doesn't carry anything for pre-1998 models.