Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself-50/)
-   -   Installing an engine? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/213385-installing-an-engine.html)

PunkAssKidThe1s 11-15-2005 07:13 AM

Installing an engine?

How hard is it to install your own engine (bolt-on and play such as H22 in an Accord)? I'm not exactly the best mechanic - hell, I went to a shop to have my header put on, but I want to learn, and one of my uncles had to fork out $1,000 for a new engine to be installed into his Subbie!

So, how hard it is and what tools outside of the standard nuts/bolts/screws/drivers/wrenches would I need for this??

Thanks!

PunkAssKidThe1s 11-15-2005 07:13 AM

Oh, yes, and same question for tranny... Afterall, I've got an AT matted to an F22 in my Accord SE (97)...

97civicEXVTEC 11-15-2005 12:33 PM

air tools is a must..

if you cant install your own header, i would do a lot more research before you take on something like that..

Altern8r 11-16-2005 03:57 AM

ye i agree with 97civic*** as it is a lot more complicated than a header. that is simple.

96HawkCnvt 11-21-2005 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by PunkAssKidThe1s
How hard is it to install your own engine (bolt-on and play such as H22 in an Accord)? I'm not exactly the best mechanic - hell, I went to a shop to have my header put on, but I want to learn, and one of my uncles had to fork out $1,000 for a new engine to be installed into his Subbie!

So, how hard it is and what tools outside of the standard nuts/bolts/screws/drivers/wrenches would I need for this??

Thanks!

It's really not that difficult to do stuff like that and I'd encourage you to give it a try. But as others have pointed out, there is a lot more to it than just installing a header. My suggestion is to find some guys locally that you know you can trust and see if you can get some help with it. You'll learn a lot if you aren't afraid to give stuff a try. Just be smart about it so you don't cost yourself a lot or end up with a safety issue etc.

Good luck!

Todd

goldex420 03-29-2008 09:48 PM

installin a header takes 10 min a engine 4 hrs or so if u know what ur doing and ive done plenty its quite a job and i KNOW ur not ready

willpower101 12-27-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 97civicEXVTEC (Post 2609576)
air tools is a must..

To swap an engine? I don't think so. Tons of people do this job with standard tools, and the saying that they are a "must" is simply misinformation.

Besides standard tools and a ball joint separator the only other thing that makes the job much easier is an electric impact wrench.

donta 03-19-2009 09:43 AM

How hard is it to install a tranny in a 95 Accord. I need to get step by step instruction as to how it should be done.

marvinp8700 03-25-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by donta (Post 4260852)
How hard is it to install a tranny in a 95 Accord. I need to get step by step instruction as to how it should be done.

Haynes manual

jrgoswick 04-25-2009 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by goldex420 (Post 3850499)
installin a header takes 10 min a engine 4 hrs or so if u know what ur doing and ive done plenty its quite a job and i KNOW ur not ready

I recently assisted Specialty Performance in Rogers Arkansas install a KillerB into a Civic. Took about 2 hours for the motor AND tranny! It is a lot of work. The ONLY thing I can't say enough-MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!

mattliston 08-15-2009 07:00 PM

air tools are for the weak of arm. and cost a LOT if you dont already own an aircompressor. much easier and cheaper to simply buy a few extension pieces , a breaker bar for added ease of turning, and maybe an iron pipe around 2 feet in length that fits somewhat snugly over the breaker bar

if you have a 92-00 civic, popping the lower ball joints, removing the axles (after draining the tranny) and pulling the engine completely is a 2-3 hour job. few plugs on each strut tower, VSS and reverse plug(if manual) and all the electricals are unplugged. unhook the shift linkage and remove the AC compressor and powersteering pump, and its time to jack teh car's front end way up, undo teh mount bolts and pull the engine out form underneath. if you have an engine hoist, its much easier, just hook that bad boy up to teh factory tranny hoist bracket and bolt the chain to the intake side of the block, say alternator bracket bolt, and jack it up jsut enough for tension, remove the mounts and brackets and jack it out

EDIT I would imagine an F series equipped accord to be similar, though I have ZERO experience with any accord. most of my experience with hodnas is honda civics/del sols and acura integras

Line7 10-08-2009 11:37 AM

Im about to do it this weekend, then I'll let you know.:x: