Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   do cam gears make a big difference or not? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/222480-do-cam-gears-make-a-big-difference-or-not.html)

njblacksol 01-27-2006 06:58 PM

do cam gears make a big difference or not?

you guys have been answering my questions lately and i apreciate it...so0o...
heres another for u guys.....do cam gears make a noticable difference????? Do i have to change my timing belt too???? what exactly happens wen u change them from stock to aftermarket?????
thanx

ReVenGe 01-27-2006 07:26 PM

well..... suposedly if you get an aftermarket cams it has higher lift which lets the valves stay open longer which makes more power..... and you dont need a new timing belt if you get one to the best of my knowledge..... cause otherwise that would suck..... but you might need to adjust the timing.... not sure... :0

b16ahybrid 01-27-2006 07:59 PM

Cam gears allow you to adjust your intake and exhaust cam timing independently......They are useless on a stock motor, but can be benifitial on a motor that has some head work done.....I wouldn't bother with them on stock cams...You also need to tune them on a dyno.

bambbrose 01-27-2006 08:03 PM

pointless on a mild motor. Worth time if you have a well built motor and a tuner who knows what they are doing

Sleeper Honda 01-28-2006 08:37 AM

so is upgrading the cam good on a SOHC stock D16y8?

RicoD 01-28-2006 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeper Honda
so is upgrading the cam good on a SOHC stock D16y8?

NO

njblacksol 01-28-2006 11:17 AM

so for his d16 changing his cams from stock to aftermarket.....it wouldn't help him and he wounldnt benifit AT ALL?????

bambbrose 01-28-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by njblacksol
so for his d16 changing his cams from stock to aftermarket.....it wouldn't help him and he wounldnt benifit AT ALL?????

not on a stock motor, as he stated.

Stock meaning no intake manifold, port work, valvesprings, or ecu tuning.

Cams don't do shit without the proper supporting mods

njblacksol 01-28-2006 01:23 PM

so if I were starting right now....to build a sohc monster.... where would i start....like wat performance parts would u buy first????

rampage918 01-28-2006 02:18 PM

I have a JDM B16 I/H/E and msd. I'm going to change my timing belt soon so I could just change my cam gears since its right there and set the settings to 0 and 0?

bambbrose 01-28-2006 02:27 PM

so if I were starting right now....to build a sohc monster.... where would i start....like wat performance parts would u buy first????

what motor?

Civic2Scooby 01-28-2006 02:38 PM

first performance part I would buy would be a B series.

InfiniteVTec 01-28-2006 03:43 PM

An Adjustable Cam Gear, won't do anything noticeable on an D16Y8 unless you have a stage 2 cam from Zex, Crower, Crane... with a higher power band so you can adjust the cam to a more useable range. You need to get more air+fuel in and more exhaust out just so the cam works, and there's some people who change cams and use them with the wrong valve springs. So something with an VAFC2 or EMS, with a good catback exhaust, header, intake, intake manifold and high compression valves would see good use of a cam gear on an SOHC. If your car is stock...the cam gear weighs less than the stock one, but you wouldn't see a difference in power.

You'll need to dyno tune this to put some power to the ground.

InfiniteVTec 01-28-2006 04:19 PM

on a DOHC engine you expect bigger gains as you can adjust intake and exhaust seperately, but you need more caution or you'll strike valves with pistons and other issues.

monicle 01-30-2006 09:38 AM

on my turbo b18c i saw a 7hp gain to the wheels with the camgears correctly adjusted. so you can expect to see alot less than that.

waaBAAH 01-30-2006 12:04 PM

what is the point with a cam gear on a single cam motor. you can just adjust your distrubutor. sure you get more adjustment method out of an adjustable cam gear but have you ever tried turning your dizzy? to much and it feels slow...to much the opposite way and it knocks. so what is the point of going further then factory settings allow since the motor doesnt like either advanced or retard in great amounts.

bambbrose 01-30-2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
what is the point with a cam gear on a single cam motor. you can just adjust your distrubutor. sure you get more adjustment method out of an adjustable cam gear but have you ever tried turning your dizzy? to much and it feels slow...to much the opposite way and it knocks. so what is the point of going further then factory settings allow since the motor doesnt like either advanced or retard in great amounts.

you sir have ignition timing and mechanical timing mixed up. YOu think they are one and the same. They are not

waaBAAH 01-30-2006 11:02 PM

you are right.....thanks for clearing that up....now put in your k20!!!! stop searching forums and do some work. just kidding

bambbrose 01-30-2006 11:41 PM

you are right.....thanks for clearing that up....now put in your k20!!!! stop searching forums and do some work. just kidding

haha I'm working on it. Waiting for those damn tax returns. filed them this week:cool:

just for future searchers who read this thread.

mechanical timing, the type adjusted with cam gears, is the timing of the valves opening in relation to when the piston is at top dead center.

Ignition timing, the type adjusted with the distributor, is the timing of the spark in relation to when the piston is at top dead center.

SO when you set your ignition timing at 16 degrees, you are making the spark light when the crankshaft is 16 degrees from pushing the piston in the number one cylinder to top dead center.

Mechanical= valves

Ignition = sparks

InfiniteVTec 01-31-2006 01:03 AM

Cam Gears make a big difference... a 2 degree adjustment which is 1 mark on the AEM cam gear, net me 15-17ft/lbs torque gains from 2-4,500rpm.

bambbrose 01-31-2006 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by InfiniteVTec
Cam Gears make a big difference... a 2 degree adjustment which is 1 mark on the AEM cam gear, net me 15-17ft/lbs torque gains from 2-4,500rpm.

boosted correct?

waaBAAH 01-31-2006 10:06 AM

yes...but what other mods do you have done? on a stock motor (even i/h/e) i doubt you could gain 15 hp.

97civicEXVTEC 01-31-2006 10:28 AM

i thought you said you didn't go dyno tuning yet.

InfiniteVTec 01-31-2006 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by bambbrose
boosted correct?

n/a actually... but i'm speaking of ranges below the 4,000rpm... cam gears really effect torque more so than hp in my experience on the dyno when adjusted... however i never retarded the cam gear only advances.

InfiniteVTec 01-31-2006 08:55 PM

yes...but what other mods do you have done? on a stock motor (even i/h/e) i doubt you could gain 15 hp.

Zex Stage 2 Cam, valve springs n retainers, Skunk2 IM, 4-2-1 DC Sports Header, Fireball Cat-back exhaust, and AEM CAI

InfiniteVTec 01-31-2006 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 97civicEXVTEC
i thought you said you didn't go dyno tuning yet.

Monday 1/30/06... my 1st dyno session.

waaBAAH 01-31-2006 09:02 PM

Zex Stage 2 Cam, valve springs n retainers, Skunk2 IM, 4-2-1 DC Sports Header, Fireball Cat-back exhaust, and AEM CAI

so it is diffrent for you....you have mods done but on a bone stock
(even i/h/e) i doubt you would get that high of numbers from a cam gear...your cam really helped those numbers i think

InfiniteVTec 01-31-2006 09:13 PM

so it is diffrent for you....you have mods done but on a bone stock
(even i/h/e) i doubt you would get that high of numbers from a cam gear...your cam really helped those numbers i think

on a stock cam, i think you could pull a lil bit more torque on the low end, but nowhere near the #'s I pulled.

on an SOHC, cam gears should be used with a upgraded camshaft. on DOHC cam gears would work with stock cams, but you won't gain much unless you're going with new cams.

I'm going to try visiting the shop to see if i can take pics of the various runs I did with different cam gear adjustments, just for referrence to this question.