Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   Need to reset SRS light on 2000 Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/231191-need-to-reset-srs-light-on-2000-accord.html)

bknighte 04-05-2006 12:21 PM

Need to reset SRS light on 2000 Accord

Hi. I have a 2000 Accord EX V6 coupe, and I need to reset the SRS light. Is there a connector that I can use a jumper wire on? Where is it located?:confused:

sherwood 04-05-2006 12:24 PM

why is the SRS light on?

and no only the dealer can fix it and that will require them to most likely replace components until it is fixed. and if it can't be fixed the car will be considered unsafe to drive.

F22B Prelude 04-05-2006 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sherwood
why is the SRS light on?

and no only the dealer can fix it and that will require them to most likely replace components until it is fixed. and if it can't be fixed the car will be considered unsafe to drive.

Yessir....I would take it in..Caue if you get in an accident no airbags :noes:

e3NiNe 04-05-2006 12:26 PM

people usually trigger the SRS when removing the front seats and turning on the ignition. Since the seats have airbags, the system senses a disconnect and turns on the SRS light.

there's a way to jumper a plug using a paperclip, but those directions are somewhere in the forum.

bknighte 04-05-2006 12:32 PM

The light came on after I replaced the alternator. I think the old alternator caused the light to come on when it went bad. I've heard that power surges in the Hondas can cause this.

e3NiNe 04-05-2006 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by bknighte
The light came on after I replaced the alternator. I think the old alternator caused the light to come on when it went bad. I've heard that power surges in the Hondas can cause this.

check your SRS fuses. If there's a fuse break, this would cause the light too.

Azndude1983 04-06-2006 06:02 PM

Wrong!!! That doesn't mean you can't fix it yourself. I had an 01 Accord and had the same problem with the SRS light came on. I didn't remember that i've replaced anything for it to came on. Anyways, i fixed it with the info below, hope that will help you too and for the god sake, same you 95 bucks just for the Honda Dealer to get a diagnostic test the car...they will rip you off.

Here's the info:
SRS Light Fixed,
SRS Light Reset MES Fix - Legit Documentation
« » 10:32 PM 8/30/2004

To erase the DTC memory and reset the SRS indicator light, first locate the yellow plastic Memory Erase Signal (MES) connector:
-The SRS connector is plugged into the upper right corner of the driver's side under dash fuse panel or behind the driver's side left kick panel.

The two wire color combinations found housed in the MES yellow connector should be as follows:
-2.2L engines: Gray/Gray or Black/White
-2.3L engines: Green/Green or Black/White
-V6 engines: Green/Green or Black/(light green-black)

Once the MES connector has been properly located and identified, proceed as follows.
1. Verify and make sure the ignition is switched OFF.
2. Connect the 2 pins in the MES with a paper clip or metal object.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON.
4. The SRS Indicator Light should come on for 6 seconds and then go off. Remove the (paper clip) within 4 seconds of when the SRS Light goes off.
5. The SRS Indicator Light should come back on agian. Reconnect the (paper clip) within 4 seconds of the time when the SRS Indicator Light comes back on.
6. The SRS light should go off. Remove the (paper clip) from the MES connector within 4 seconds of the light going off.
7. If the process was succesfull, the SRS Indicator Light will blink two times.
8. Turn the ignition switch OFF and wait 10 seconds.
9. Turn the ignition switch ON and the SRS indicator lamp should come on for 6 seconds and then go off if all the codes have been successfully cleared.
10. If the SRS Indicator Light does not go off, repeat the erasing the DTCs procedure. If after several attempts to erase the DTCs the SRS Indicator light stars on, use blink codes to help locate the problem in the SRS System. Inspect and make sure that all the components and electrical connectors are properly installed and connected.
11. Once the DTCs have been successfully erased, reinstall the yellow MES connector to its holder in the fuse panel.

This documentation comes from: Chilton's Honda Accord/Prelude 1996-00 Repair Manual. (Covers all US and Canadian models of Honda Accord and Prelude.)

Hope this help. Also, yes you can use a Paper Clip.

turismo29 04-07-2006 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Azndude1983
Wrong!!! That doesn't mean you can't fix it yourself. I had an 01 Accord and had the same problem with the SRS light came on. I didn't remember that i've replaced anything for it to came on. Anyways, i fixed it with the info below, hope that will help you too and for the god sake, same you 95 bucks just for the Honda Dealer to get a diagnostic test the car...they will rip you off.

agreed, just use the instructions to reset the srs code.I did this on my 01 accord too, it works. If it lights up again i would definitely go to the dealership for them to check. My aunt just got her 01 accord seat belt buckle replace for free from the dealearship when her srs light came on. But yours may be something else.

DittoDude 04-22-2006 04:26 AM

I just used Azndude's procedure on my 2001 Accord LX V6 and it worked great.

The plug is located under the driver side dash, behind the fuse compartment. There are two yellow plugs, it's the smaller one on top. The plug has a green wire and a black wire with a green trace.

There is also a Warranty Extension for SRS lights on various Hondas, it is number 06-009 dated March 14, 2006.

RichKing 05-02-2010 04:57 AM

SRS PLUG..... How in the hell do you get the plug to disconnect.... I have been up under my dash a dozen times and I have tried everything I can think of to release the plug so I can jump the plug.... I sure as hell dont want to break the damn thing trying to get it apart..... Surely there must be some kind of release but I cant find it..... HELP WHATS THE SECRET

cruzalekz 05-22-2010 03:34 PM

airbag module is probably zapped by the unregulated voltage from the new or old alternator.
mostlikely on the new one specially if the technician did not disconnect the netgative on the battery when he installed the new alternator.

or if this car has been in a wreck, the modleule itself needs to be hard reset.

HondaB18C1 07-19-2010 12:42 PM

For easy tutorials and videos to reset Srs/airbag light, and bypass faulty airbags go to this site: Cartipsntricks.com . Super easy to do.

Jon02Accord 08-12-2010 07:22 AM

my srs light came on this past week. dealer said it was a faulty seat belt and replacing it is covered under honda's lifetime warranty.

racerz 07-19-2011 04:04 AM

My SRS light just came on in my 02 Accord. Need to try this reset procedure first, but I did find out about the OPDS Warranty Extension. Funny thing was I was never notified of this and I've been the original owner. Warranty says it applies to all US built Accords with OPDS sensor.

chefbar 11-27-2011 09:18 AM

This paper clip jump works. It turned the light off and when I checked with the service manager at the dealer I use (a man I trust and not all dealers are rip offs BTW) he said this is legit. But if the light continues to come on it should be checked. It hasn't yet. I can say that after 11 years and 130k miles, if this is the one major issue in all that time I experience, that is not bad.

calemonlaw 12-13-2011 04:04 AM

If the SRS light is on its because of a problem. If the DTC 9-1 is set, it will require replacement of the airbag module. Take it to the dealer for proper diagnosis. Airbags can kill you if you do something wrong.

Honest Review 12-26-2011 10:08 AM

AZNdude1983 rocks!! It still works as of 12/26/11!! Million thanks to everyone!!

2 Attachment(s)
I had similar problem where SRS light came of from no apparent reason approx. 1 yr ago on my 2000 Accord EXV6. After reading posts on this site I gave it a try and to my surprise it WORKED!!!! Now I want to share my experience..First of all in my car, SRS light never "blinked" after I paperclipped it and turned it on..instead light was constant..but it followed the same sequence that it turned off, I disconnected the clip, it came back on and reconnected the clip and it turned back off and then followed by 2 blinks..2 blinks was a assurance that it worked and it indeed it worked!! I also had to try it 3-4 times as it was not blinking in the beginning but stayed on however it worked..Just follow the steps fron previous post from AZNdude1983!! Also I am a very novice at car repairs and this the "daring" step for me!! I am also attaching picture of MES connector here and how to locate it!! Also I used 2 paper clips (straightened ones!!), one in each hole and When i had to connect it I touched two together and to disconnect I "untouched" two clips. I did this as in short time, I was not able to make a paperclip to connect and disconnect while looking at SRS light!! So i modified it!! Just FYI. MES plug is small yellow one at the top, behind the fuse box on driveside. You can access it after removing the panel!! If you can see closely it is the one which I have pointed with paperclip!! Not the big yellow connector at the bottom but the small one at top!! Good luck!!

2001honda 01-02-2012 10:25 AM

AZNdude1983 rocks!! It still works as of 01/02/2012 on 2001 Accord !! Million thanks to everyone!!

I followed exact directions and it worked....I made following modifications.
1) After removing the Plastic FUSE door on Right side, I unscrewed only 2 screws on the panel to partially loosen the Panel below the Steering wheel without completely removing it.
2) Then, used MIRROR to locate, feel and PULL-OUT the correct YELLOW Adapter easily by HAND.
3) I used 2 SAFETY Pins as they were pointed, thin and could easily slide inside the 2 holes.
4) With one HAND holding the 2 Pins together (shorting them) and with other HAND TURNED the Engine ON.

Rest of the directions were same as "AZNdude1983" mentioned....
It took me 2 tries....as I was a little slow the first time.

BUT, it FINALLY WORKED !!!! like a CHARM.
Total time: 30 mins (being a novice).

Thanks.

Houston_Honda 02-22-2012 02:23 PM

2000 Accord SE....Just tried this on mine a few mins ago. Worked. Will see if it comes back on...Will post again...

quigs 10-10-2012 05:39 AM

Duh!!!

quigs 10-10-2012 05:53 AM

I have a 2000 Accord LX and it is very important to know on this model and year that there are TWO yellow plugs up underneath right next to each other. The one plug is in the direction of the steering column and the other, right next to it, is in the direction of the fuse box. I used Azndudes method using a 3 foot piece of speaker wire instead of using a paper clip cause I found it to be a lot easier. I labored for WAY too long though because at first I WAS WORKING WITH THE WRONG YELLOW PLUG!!! Luckily I didnt f*** anything up but my point is that the correct yellow plug to use is the yellow plug that is closest to the fuse box and/or right behind the fuse box and it's the smaller yellow plug of the two yellow plugs. When I finally did use the correct plug azndudes method worked like a charm. Thanks dude...