Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning-33/)
-   -   Check engine light? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning/12463-check-engine-light.html)

Dcivicdan 07-31-2002 11:41 AM

Check engine light?

My check engine light came on the other day and it hasnt shut off.
There is nothing wrong with the performance of my car though.

does anybody know what may be the problem. How to fix it.

Thanks in advance!!

:) :)

inspyral 07-31-2002 11:52 AM

Find out what code it's throwing and go from there.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.html

Dcivicdan 07-31-2002 02:41 PM

how do I check the code??

kinghawk 07-31-2002 03:09 PM

Man look at the link inspyral supplied you

Dcivicdan 07-31-2002 03:44 PM

it says that page cannot be displayed!!:eek:

1stGenCRXer 07-31-2002 04:27 PM

Comes up fine for me... :dunno:

kinghawk 07-31-2002 05:18 PM

Works for me !!!!!!!!!!!

inspyral 07-31-2002 09:50 PM

CHECKING THE ECU CODES

If your CEL has illuminated, it is more helpful to know WHY it has lit up instead of just guessing at the problem... How do you find out what the error is? Well you will need a short peice of wire or a paperclip.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/pics/dsc00040j.jpg http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/pics/dsc00039j.jpg

On the passenger side of your car, under the dash beneath the glove box, you will find a green cover above the kickpanel that houses a blue connector that has two wires.

That you need to do is turn the ignition off, and using the piece of wire or paperclip, jump the blue connector so that you connect the two wires together. Basically stick one end of the paperclip or peice of wire into one prong on the connector and stick the other end of the paperclip or wire into the other prong.

Once you have done this, turn the key to the IGN position and watch your CEL light. It will illuminate in a series of flashes.

You will notice that there will be LONG flashes and SHORT flashes. All of the ECU trouble codes are two-digits. LONG flashes determine the TENS digit by the number of times it flashes, and SHORT flashes determine the ONES digit by the number of times it flashes.

ie. LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 34

3 LONG flashes followed by 4 short flashes, then a long pause. If that is the only code the ECU is throwing, then the code will simply repeat until you remove the key. If, however there are more than one ECU error code, then you will see a different series of flashes followed by the long pause. Once all the ECU codes have been displayed, they will continuously cycle until you remove the key.

ie. LONG-LONG-SHORT-PAUSE-LONG-LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 21 and 43

Once you have determined the codes, you can simply remove the paperclip or wire from the connector and replace it back in the green housing.

So now you have the codes, what good are the numbers? What do they mean? Refer to the TROUBLE CODES section.

95LSv 02-11-2006 01:00 PM

I did just this today and it did not work? Any reasons? (i used a paperclip)

flyerhky11 02-14-2006 10:30 AM

My CEL is on, but is only on after the car is driven several miles. Will this paperclip test work even if the CEL is not on? Should I do it while the car is running since the light goes away after the car is off and only appears once I drive a little? Thanks

SP00NFed 02-14-2006 10:33 AM

if you put the paperclip and test it when the car is turned on but not driving the cel should still flash

audrebecca 03-13-2006 05:20 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just saw this website (and discussion) today.

I have a '96 del Sol, and when looking at the codes, notice the del Sol isn't on there. Would the Civic codes be "interchangeable" so to speak? I know the del Sol was at one point at least the Civic del Sol, but I can't recall if that was for all four years of production, and don't know if that really has any bearing in any event.

95LSv 03-13-2006 03:02 PM

Most places have the Del sol listed separately than the civic... they are different i guess, but the codes might be same...

audrebecca 03-15-2006 12:14 PM

Thanks. I am just going to take the car to the dealership, I am (or at least, should, and dang well, BETTER BE) covered under the extended emissions warranty. :)

westcoaststyle 03-15-2006 01:30 PM

codes are the same for the sol. The engines and ecus are the same (for the most part).

Dumbrella987 06-03-2006 08:11 AM

HELP! i did the paper clip thing and made my car engine light flash the code, but i cant really tell what it is, i think it might be code number 70, anyway i took a video of it, can anyone help!! please http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYsAaw-CpPA

My Car is a 1997 honda civic si vtec (canadian), or 96 civic ex if your in the states i believe.

95LSv 06-03-2006 10:57 PM

yep thats a 70, 7 long flashes and no short ones

Dumbrella987 06-04-2006 09:52 AM

lol so a code 70 on my car apparentley means that a malfunction happened in my auto transmission system while i was driving, should i get it checked out? it runs fine now...

i had question about my cars odb, the check engine light came on while i was driving down a ruff rocky dirt trail, the car still seemed to run okay so the next day i reset the battery, and then check engine light went off, i was just wondering that if there really was a serious problem with the car, the check engine light would just come on again after i drove it and gave it a chance to sense any problems right? and if it comes on again it means theres somthing to worry about, but if it doesnt come on again after the reset, it means the problem has probably corrected itself, and culdve been somthing like a change in gas tank pressure, or low engine coolant (I checked the coolant level and it was kind of low lol)??

basically what im trying to ask is that if there really is a problem, then the light should just come on again after a reset?

Greasy Thumbs 12-07-2006 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm having the same problem. My CEL is on. It was cleared by a mechanic but has returned. I have a 1997 Acura 2.2 CL. I checked under and to the right of the glove box and found a blue connector for 2 wires. I undid it from the bracket and inserted the paper clip. This is a picture of the blue connector.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...1&d=1165525844

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...1&d=1165528208

With the clip inserted, I turned the key to IGN but there aren't any flashes. It also seems that I couldn't short out the connector. Looking through the connector as well as I could, only blue plastic was apparent.
So,
[1] Do I have the correct connector?
[2] Have I shorted it out correctly?
[3] If so, what would no flashes mean?

Thanks for all the information on this site. First real trouble with the Acura in 120K miles except for a blocked A/C drip line that I fixed.

mberndt 12-11-2006 03:43 PM

Should be the same for the CL...
Yes, it looks like you have the right connector... Mine on my EG civic is green, but the color prob changed with OBD-2...

You prob haven't shorted it out correctly... Just make sure the metal of the wire/paperclip is touching the metal of the wire contacts...

If you have no flashes, and you're car is running fine except for the Check engine light (CEL), than it just means you didn't short it out correctly...

Philixxj 12-23-2006 07:54 PM

Hi i Have a Honda Prelude 1997 AT.. ok 2 nites ago i got in my car and started it. and i was just sitting there warming up the car. and then out of no where the speedometer starts to go wacko its jumpin everywhere. and it was just in neutral and i wasnt even reving the motor. and then i put it in reverse . and put it in drive. and it still was going crazy. and when i put it in drive. when the speedomter go to high mph) without accelerating) it would change the gears it self.. and now that it wasnt doing it anymore. and everything was fine.. now that my speedometer is now not working. and that the engine light is on and the 'D' light is blinking. and i read that if the speed sensor is malfunctioning the vtec will not engage. i drove it earlier and i went to engage vtec but wouldnt. i thought it would be just not at the right temperature. please help.

1stGenCRXer 12-23-2006 09:05 PM

If your speed sensor is malfunctioning, you will not have VTEC. If you have an automatic with a speed sensor malfunctioning, it probably won't shift correctly either.

If you have a speed sensor error code, you should replace the speed sensor.

Philixxj 12-24-2006 09:02 PM

ok i got the codes it threw out to me. actually i have 6 codes together... My car is a 1997 honda prelude. i swapped the motor for a JDM H22 Type S motor. on it is a A/T... ok on the Check egine light i have 3 codes

23---- i figure this is for ( Knock sensor circuit malfunction )
70---- (Automatic Transmission concerns)

i noticed the "D" light was throwing me 2 different codes tooo..

and then the ABS light was throwing 1 code

can anyone please tell me what these codes are. and are there anything i can fix it...? thanks

ravasmout 08-02-2007 03:10 PM

Honda Accord 2002 LX

Hey what about an Accord LX 02? I got the same light but i have no idea where to find the blue connector to check for the code. Lookin around but can't seem to pick it out. Got anything for me?

JimBlake 08-03-2007 05:00 AM

Since it's OBD-2 I'd go to some AutoZoned-type place & have them use an OBD-2 code reader. Those codes are more specific anyway. Get the code number, not just the guy's explanation.

ravasmout 08-07-2007 03:34 PM

Thats what I was thinking of doing but then I figured why should I pay money to find out what the problem is when I can do it myself then pay money to get it fixed, you know? So does anyone know how I can get the Error Code off my 02 Honda Accord LX on my own?

JimBlake 08-08-2007 07:10 AM

Where are you? All the AutoZone/AdvanceAutoParts & places like that around here will read the error codes for free.

ravasmout 08-08-2007 03:54 PM

I'm in British Columbia Canada.. I'll have to look around I guess. But thanks for the tip yea?

Stykbow 09-18-2007 07:32 AM

Code 41

Does anyone know what code 41 is ? I am getting 4 long flashes and 1 short flash.

JimBlake 09-19-2007 04:42 AM

Code 41 is the heater circuit of the primary oxygen sensor.

What year/model? Often that sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold right up front. Unplug it, look for the 2 same-color wires from the sensor. Measure resistance between them - it should be 10 to 40 ohms. If not, get a new sensor. If the resistance is OK, then post back about checking the rest of that circuit.