Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning-33/)
-   -   high flow cat worth it? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning/190736-high-flow-cat-worth-it.html)

crazy4396063 05-25-2005 06:29 PM

high flow cat worth it?

im planning to free up some power on my jdm b16a and was wondering if a high flow cat is worth buying...im planning to buy a header to go along with it....will the high flow cat produce any noticable gain or will it not matter?

shivers 05-26-2005 05:23 AM

If you get a header with a 2.5" collector, you'll have to upgrade the cat no matter what. If you're not going to get a header with a larger collector, just use what you've got and save your money.

Kai 05-27-2005 07:46 PM

If you like to hug trees, yes, it will give a minor improvement in the top end of the powerband.

If you're not a hippie, a $40 test pipe will accomplish the same goal, only better and much cheaper.

Provocateur 05-27-2005 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kai
If you're not a hippie, a $40 test pipe will accomplish the same goal, only better and much cheaper.

But it will stink and sound like shit.

b16ahybrid 05-28-2005 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shmoo
But it will stink and sound like shit.

who cares when you can gain 1whp :rolleyes:

For your application a testpipe is pointless. I wouldn't even bother with a high flow cat until you get more mods.

Provocateur 05-28-2005 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by b16ahybrid
who cares when you can gain 1whp :rolleyes:

For your application a testpipe is pointless. I wouldn't even bother with a high flow cat until you get more mods.

:chuckles:

I agree with the high flow cat. Until you have a reason for a better flowing exhaust, you shouldn't even bother. Shit, I even run the stock cat with my turbo setup.

b16ahybrid 05-28-2005 04:38 PM

:chuckles:

I agree with the high flow cat. Until you have a reason for a better flowing exhaust, you shouldn't even bother. Shit, I even run the stock cat with my turbo setup.

Exactly. Unless the engine can beinfit from the added flow, all your doing is making your exhaust louder.

Kai 05-28-2005 04:49 PM

But it will stink

Not really. Not nearly as bad as everyone around here makes it out to be.

and sound like shit.

Honda engines tend to sound like shit anyway thanks to their low displacement. A good resonator will do a better job to cure that then a cat anyway.

ED9man 05-28-2005 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kai
Not really. Not nearly as bad as everyone around here makes it out to be.Honda engines tend to sound like shit anyway thanks to their low displacement. A good resonator will do a better job to cure that then a cat anyway.

True and true, my car smells fine sans cat, and taking it out didn't make it sound too much different, resonator and muffler are more important. It'll only stink if it's running like shit. That and it still passed emmisions, so how bad can it be? Granted some of the levels were 3-4 times higher, but still it passed.

civicandtegra 05-29-2005 07:56 PM

i have a high flow and when the motor is mince and raced it smells like crap i wanna get rid of it, u know u could always take the cat and drill straight through it
oh and when i first got my teggy it had a test pipe on it and it shaked violently and sounded just bad

Kai 05-30-2005 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by civicandtegra
u know u could always take the cat and drill straight through it

I've gutted stock cats before. All it takes is a long screwdriver and a hammer.

Originally Posted by civicandtegra
oh and when i first got my teggy it had a test pipe on it and it shaked violently and sounded just bad

Violent shaking has nothing to do with a test pipe at all.

buffalobill 05-31-2005 05:43 AM

Urethane engine mounts, or perhaps a worn out stock mount? Or no flex pipe behind header, and/or bad exhaust system hangers?

civicandtegra 05-31-2005 07:26 PM

the shaking stopped when i got a new exhaust so maybe it was rubbing against the body