Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning-33/)
-   -   93 Honda Civic motor swap (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning/247168-93-honda-civic-motor-swap.html)

Rebelwork 08-25-2006 08:15 PM

93 Honda Civic motor swap

Bought my daughter a 93 Civic DX. Believe it has the 1.5 motor. What motors will swap with the current tranny and vice versus?

Not sure what motors nor to what year will work in this car. Any info appreciated...Thx Jack

Kai 08-26-2006 07:00 AM

You need to stay within the D-series to keep the current transaxle. This means 88+ D15* and D16* engines, along with a few newer varients of ZC.

Moved to 92+.

white_n_slow 08-26-2006 07:24 AM

any particular reason you wanna keep the trans? There are a number of motors available for around $500 or less for a motor+trans+ecu swap. D16z6 drops right in and is a very nice commuter/sport motor.

Rebelwork 08-26-2006 01:55 PM

Thx for the replies. Not trying to speed the car up but after reviewing Ebay on different motors for sale I was'nt sure what I should be looking at.

The car has 200k miles on it and told my daughter if it held up till spring I would do the body work, repaint and put a new interior in it. But with that kinda mileage I would'nt without finding a resource for a motor if need.

Im 41 myself and a muscle car kinda guy, but after the purchase of the CIVIC and finding abundance of parts available i've kinda takin a serious interest in these lil cars;) ....Jack

Chefboiali 08-26-2006 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rebelwork (Post 3105660)
Thx for the replies. Not trying to speed the car up but after reviewing Ebay on different motors for sale I was'nt sure what I should be looking at.

The car has 200k miles on it and told my daughter if it held up till spring I would do the body work, repaint and put a new interior in it. But with that kinda mileage I would'nt without finding a resource for a motor if need.

Im 41 myself and a muscle car kinda guy, but after the purchase of the CIVIC and finding abundance of parts available i've kinda takin a serious interest in these lil cars;) ....Jack

You sound like me. I come from the 67 Camaro small block era. :D I'm having fun with my 92 Si. Parts are all over the place.

Welcome to HAN. :cool:

Rebelwork 08-26-2006 04:06 PM

Compared to the price of building that "American Muscle" car, Imports are cheap ;). Its no wonder the kids want em :D .

I've had a few keepers in my day. At the time 67-69 Camaros were a dime a dozen and could be had for $1500 in excellent shap.I've owned and sold each of these cars in good condition. 1965 Impala SS/283-powerglide, 1972 442/his/hers/455cu.,1974 Maverick Grabber/302/3sp. floor(rare), 67 Torino fastback, etc. All sold or bought for $250-$1200 .....Jack

sherwood 08-26-2006 05:27 PM

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...Engines&hit=15

the reason i push these guys are the engines are quality.

those long blocks at the bottom of the page are pretty much what you are looking for, though i'd seriously suggest upgrading to a B-series motor (b16,b18,b20) because the motors and transmissions have more aftermarket support and give a hell of a performance boost to boot.

Rebelwork 09-02-2006 07:14 AM

I know this is a bad question but my mind has been drifting and the searches arent giving me what I would like to know.

What are the limits of motor size that can be put in the 93 civic? I keep seeing the "22" size motors coming up. Whats the most you can technically put in the 93 frame?....Jack

Kai 09-02-2006 09:46 AM

The highest displacment engine with a manufactured swap kit right now would be the 2.4l K24. It is an extremely expensive swap, however.

Then falls the 2.3l H23A and 2.2l H22A. Still expensive, but a little more reasonable.

The limit of "easy" swaps is pretty much the 2.0l B20B or B20Z.

The largest you can use with your stock transaxle is the 1.6l D16* family.

Rebelwork 09-03-2006 10:57 AM

Kai thx for the info. I found after doing a lot of searching across the net info on the swaps. Just took awhile to learn "how" to search to get the info.

This new hobby came with a learning curve;) ....Thx Jack

gzelna 09-05-2006 06:30 AM

swapping

Couple very broad tips, we've (me and my son) done a couple of these, a 96EX motor/tranny into a 92 Civic DX chassis most closely resembling what you are trying to do. Both cars were 5 speed manual trannys. The 92 is nearly identical to your 93. On all swaps he bought a wrecked vehicle as the 'donor engine' to go into his existing car. That way you get all those little things you never though of, wring harness pieces and parts,(or connector(s)) , ECU maybe, engine mount(s), linkages, etc, theres just a lot of stuff that you either #1 choose the better part (condition wise) from the two vehicles, or need to swap for proper fit. You may (if interested) even be able to part out some of the wreck for a couple $, when done with it, have it hauled away by a salvage yard. This forums great for parts, tips, advice....

As already stated, unlike the old days, picture the engine/tranny as an integral unit, swap them together. IF you need to break them apart (say, to do a clutch) do it on the bench, MUCH easier. Same applies for all belts, do them, and timing belt/water pump, on the bench, its SIMPLE (versus extremely painful) in the car.

We bought the two ton folding engine hoist from HF tools, its regularly $150, goes on sale for $99. Worth its weight in gold. Did the rental hoist thing, however that puts you into a time crunch to "finish and return the tool" and its not something that can be rushed, nor gauged as far as how long it'll take you to do(and it takes a while, especially with some of those frozen, 13yr old fasteners you'll be breaking loose).

We also bought the HF tools 'movers dollies' to set the engines on, and roll around the garage (the open wood framed ones, with carpeted pads and castors). Work great, and were only like $15 on sale.

You'll save yourself tons of 'redundant labor' by replacing everything during the swap, halfshafts, struts, calipers/pads/rotors, its all (well, not the struts) removed for the swap anyway.