Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself-50/)
-   -   I did a stupid thing, now I need help! (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/204229-i-did-a-stupid-thing-now-i-need-help.html)

OldHondaOwner 09-07-2005 12:19 PM

I did a stupid thing, now I need help!

I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

delsol161 09-07-2005 12:42 PM

try running the CEL codes. seee what it comes up with.

OldHondaOwner 09-07-2005 12:52 PM

Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.

98CoupeV6 09-07-2005 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldHondaOwner
I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

You probably busted a lot of relays.

OldHondaOwner 09-07-2005 01:11 PM

I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?

98CoupeV6 09-07-2005 01:12 PM

I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?

Accord forum.

delsol161 09-08-2005 01:43 PM

Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.

running CELs is easy. but being that it's an '87, i'm unsure how to do it. on newer hondas, there's a wire/plug comnig out of the ecu... and ya use a wire, or something to put into both openings. check your ECU, maybe it has the same thing. i agree w/
98CoupeV6, check the Accord forum.

DaNnYsEvEn 09-08-2005 05:52 PM

im with 98CoupeV6

ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
good luck

delsol161 09-09-2005 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by DaNnYsEvEn
ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
good luck

agreed, find a wiring diagram, or a diagram of the fuse box and remove the main relay. if there isn't anything obviously wrong... i'd suggest going to a shop...

beeek9 09-10-2005 05:56 PM

just change the battery fuse, thats it. if u wanna know before buyin the fuse. just put 2 wire on both side of the fuse and try startin the engine

VPUPPY 09-10-2005 07:10 PM

there is a main FUSE, it should be in the under hood fuse box. its a bigger fuse than the others. the main RELAY has to do you with your fuse injection and fule pump.

sleepee 09-10-2005 10:52 PM

beeek is right i did the same thing once because the shit was labeled i was in a rush and didn't route the cables to the starter and ground and blew the BATTERY FUSE.

check that...then the Main Relay.

Good luck

delsol161 09-11-2005 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by beeek9
just change the battery fuse, thats it. if u wanna know before buyin the fuse. just put 2 wire on both side of the fuse and try startin the engine

Originally Posted by sleepee
beeek is right i did the same thing once because the shit was labeled i was in a rush and didn't route the cables to the starter and ground and blew the BATTERY FUSE.

check that...then the Main Relay.

Good luck

makes sense, check that for sure.