Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   CRX & Pre 92 Civic (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic-8/)
-   -   Fuel pump going bad? What are symptoms? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic/243014-fuel-pump-going-bad-what-are-symptoms.html)

redcivicforever 07-18-2006 03:56 PM

(Keep in mind these symtoms are intermittently happening to my 91 civic hatch dx 1.5, and have been for a while now)
Would fuel pump that is going bad cause the car to jerk (like you didn't know how to drive stick) as you were trying to accellerate in 1st gear? Would it cause surging in accelleration or the feeling of not getting gas when you step on the gas in 1st gear taking off from a stop? It doesn't get any rev at all sometimes when I am taking of from a light even when I would expect I'm giving it enough gas to rev but then it will slowly accelerate like I'm barely giving it gas but I'm giving it sufficient gas. Could this be a TPS issue or maybe Air Intake issue that would cause these symtoms? Or something else maybe? Super appreciate any help you can give me this is driving me nuts.

m735is 07-18-2006 04:51 PM

You'll have to measure the fuel pressure and you could rig it so you can watch it while driving (up between the hood and windshield, not inside)

Exempt 07-18-2006 05:14 PM

Sounds more like a slipping clutch too me...

crxtrafast 08-01-2006 09:51 PM

check your rotor and then change your fuel filter i did it to my crx after having the same problems and it helped that part anyways!

RevengeCRX 08-02-2006 12:33 AM

Sounds like a combination of tps sensor and a slipping clutch.

redcivicforever 08-04-2006 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX (Post 3059701)
Sounds like a combination of tps sensor and a slipping clutch.

OK thanks guys, BUT is there any way for me to know for sure OR be pretty sure, if it's either TPS or a fuel pump going bad? or possibly a fuel injector that's clogged or going bad? Anything that differentialtes one from the other or test that will differentiate to eliminate one or the other, narrow it down. If not then what would you guys do in my situation? TPS has come up alot as well as the other things I mentioned so has clutch but I'm less wanting to think it might be the clutch since it was just replaced about 8 months ago.

Exempt 08-04-2006 09:04 PM

Clutchs depend on both how it was installed (was the flywheel resurfaced is the main player and if it was PROPERLY broken in), and ofcourse the driver...

To test for this:

Put on the ebrake.
Start the car with the clutch in.
Put it in 4th gear.
Slowly let up while pressing the gas.

If the car doesnt stall, then its probably the clutch...

You can diagnose most of the other problems with a Helms and a volt meter...

samatronz_182 08-04-2006 10:12 PM

wouldnt a bad tps sensor throw a code?

samatronz_182 08-04-2006 10:12 PM

i would check pressures

redcivicforever 08-12-2006 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Exempt (Post 3065590)
Clutchs depend on both how it was installed (was the flywheel resurfaced is the main player and if it was PROPERLY broken in), and ofcourse the driver...

To test for this:

Put on the ebrake.
Start the car with the clutch in.
Put it in 4th gear.
Slowly let up while pressing the gas.

If the car doesnt stall, then its probably the clutch...

You can diagnose most of the other problems with a Helms and a volt meter...

Thanks finally someone tells me how to check the possibilities! Awesome thanks again!

91civicse 08-12-2006 08:28 PM

my civic had the same idle issue, i dont know if this would fix yours but it might help. (assuming u have a 1.5l) first remove the top of the throttle body , the black cover thats labled DPFI , then started the car, then sprayed a shit load of throttle body cleaner into the honeycomb looking thing there while spraying reve the engine up and down with the throttle cable, then put the lid back on and drive the car right away for a bit (i did some quick full throttles). i repeated this a couple of times and my idle has straightend out pretty good

redcivicforever 08-17-2006 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 91civicse (Post 3078878)
my civic had the same idle issue, i dont know if this would fix yours but it might help. (assuming u have a 1.5l) first remove the top of the throttle body , the black cover thats labled DPFI , then started the car, then sprayed a shit load of throttle body cleaner into the honeycomb looking thing there while spraying reve the engine up and down with the throttle cable, then put the lid back on and drive the car right away for a bit (i did some quick full throttles). i repeated this a couple of times and my idle has straightend out pretty good

Thanks so much for your help. But I don't know how to work on cars mysef, do you think if I just the TPS replaced it would have the same affect or would I have to replace the entire throttle body? Thanks again for your help
:)

Tankard 08-18-2006 04:11 AM

When my main relay was going bad, my car did that. It kind of jerked and hesitated on acceleration sometimes. It also had the no starting when hot symptoms also, sometimes. I replaced the fuel pump for no reason, thinking that was my problem. I then read here about the main relay. I took it out and re-soldered all the solder points, and it fixed my problem.