Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   90 accord dies when i stop (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/247904-90-accord-dies-when-i-stop.html)

djkdawg 09-01-2006 01:00 AM

90 accord dies when i stop

I fixed the problem i put how i fixed it below, and thanks everyone for helping me

90 accord dies when i stop

it stalls first and then dies

it starts and idles just fine, and drives like a champ but when i touch the brake to slow down and stop, it stalls then dies, HELP HELP HELP !!!

losiglow 09-01-2006 08:43 AM

Well, what you'll need to do is figure out another way to stop other than your brakes. I'd recommend using your e-brake or putting your foot out the open door and scraping your shoe against the asphalt till you stop. You may need to plan for a little longer stopping distance that way and new shoes every other day or so. :rofl: :hahano: :lmao: :lmfao: . No, really, that is a pretty wierd problem. If that were happening to me I'd probably just take it to the shop. Is it an auto or manual? If you apply the brakes when it is idling (not moving that is) does it still die? Or only if you are moving and apply the brakes?

djkdawg 09-01-2006 09:07 AM

well when i first start it up, its idling fine i push the brake, put it in reverse, push the brake and put it in drive just fine, when i go about 20 to 30 mph and then apply the brakes, thats when its stalls and then dies

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 3118766)
Well, what you'll need to do is figure out another way to stop other than your brakes. I'd recommend using your e-brake or putting your foot out the open door and scraping your shoe against the asphalt till you stop. You may need to plan for a little longer stopping distance that way and new shoes every other day or so. :rofl: :hahano: :lmao: :lmfao: . No, really, that is a pretty wierd problem. If that were happening to me I'd probably just take it to the shop. Is it an auto or manual? If you apply the brakes when it is idling (not moving that is) does it still die? Or only if you are moving and apply the brakes?

losiglow 09-01-2006 09:20 AM

If it doesn't die when the brakes are applied at a standstill, then it's probably not the brakes fault it is dying. Sounds like it has something to do with the motion of stopping that kills it. Does it start back up fine after it dies? Try throwing the transmission into neutral before stopping and see if it still does it. If it doesn't, then something in the tranny, maybe a clutch, isn't disengaging and causes the engine to stall. If it still does it then, It would make me think it's something fuel related. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? It's fuel injected right?

djkdawg 09-01-2006 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 3118874)
If it doesn't die when the brakes are applied at a standstill, then it's probably not the brakes fault it is dying. Sounds like it has something to do with the motion of stopping that kills it. Does it start back up fine after it dies? Try throwing the transmission into neutral before stopping and see if it still does it. If it doesn't, then something in the tranny, maybe a clutch, isn't disengaging and causes the engine to stall. If it still does it then, It would make me think it's something fuel related. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? It's fuel injected right?

yes starts right back up with the first twist of the key, i just changed my fuel filter and yes its fuel injected, its killing me please help, this is a new tranny btw also, im also thinking its fuel related but when i push the gas, it moves. also this is a new transmission , automatic

luckybays 09-01-2006 11:12 AM

here's an idea but am not sure. could it be that the meter (the one next to the speedometer) when stop is falling below where it should be causing the engine to stop???

losiglow 09-01-2006 12:59 PM

Well, try that idea of mine with putting it in neutral before you stop. If it still dies then you can probably rule out your tranny. But if putting it in neutral before you apply the brakes and stop solves the problem, then your transmission is probably to blame as it may be a clutch sticking that then disengages when you put it back in Park to start it again. I've heard of this happening, but not with Honda's. I'm just throwing out ideas here, I really have no clue why the heck a car would do that. My old 77 Camaro would sometimes stall if I slammed on the brake too fast but that was a carburated engine, I think the float would tilt too much and cause the car to flood. But a fuel injected engine shouldn't do that. Does it stall any other time or only when you stop? Does it cruise on the freeway with no problem? Try the neutral idea and come back.

djkdawg 09-01-2006 01:23 PM

well if i put it in neutral before i stop, sometimes it will die, sometimes the idle will just fall real low and just stall then jump back up

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 3119704)
Well, try that idea of mine with putting it in neutral before you stop. If it still dies then you can probably rule out your tranny. But if putting it in neutral before you apply the brakes and stop solves the problem, then your transmission is probably to blame as it may be a clutch sticking that then disengages when you put it back in Park to start it again. I've heard of this happening, but not with Honda's. I'm just throwing out ideas here, I really have no clue why the heck a car would do that. My old 77 Camaro would sometimes stall if I slammed on the brake too fast but that was a carburated engine, I think the float would tilt too much and cause the car to flood. But a fuel injected engine shouldn't do that. Does it stall any other time or only when you stop? Does it cruise on the freeway with no problem? Try the neutral idea and come back.

losiglow 09-01-2006 01:32 PM

Well, if it still does it, It's probably not your transmission. Dang, I'm out of ideas. Take it to the shop? :confused: Many shops will test drive it and diagnose it for free. Good luck.

djkdawg 09-01-2006 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 3119755)
Well, if it still does it, It's probably not your transmission. Dang, I'm out of ideas. Take it to the shop? :confused: Many shops will test drive it and diagnose it for free. Good luck.

good idea

stereo 09-01-2006 06:36 PM

it moght be your EACV (Electronic Air Control Valve) not catching the idle when you come to a stop .or worse a faulty ECU does it act up more with the A/C on ? should take it to a shop bud as without seeing the car it's only a guess.

djkdawg 09-03-2006 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by stereo (Post 3120300)
it moght be your EACV (Electronic Air Control Valve) not catching the idle when you come to a stop .or worse a faulty ECU does it act up more with the A/C on ? should take it to a shop bud as without seeing the car it's only a guess.

i dont even attempt to turn the a/c on lol

ceosonasti 09-17-2006 04:56 PM

same issue here

im having the EXACT same problem with my 94 vigor... to make it even more wierd it only happens when im at 1/2 a tank of gas or less.... i thought at first i was just an idiot and maybe i was running outve gas and didnt realize bcuz the needle is a little off....but i checked and it def only happens after the half way mark.... The less gas in the tank the more it happens up until 1/4 then it happens EVERY time i stop... its wierd the car has 60,000 miles and purs like a kittten so i dont understand it ,,, i figured maybe it might be a similar issue... does it happen when you fill up all the way.... one mechanic told me it could be electrical but he only guessed never put it up and checked it out

4cylinder4ever 09-18-2006 12:03 PM

I think it may be the Idle Air Control Valve. Because when your car comes to a stop the butterfly in the intake closes completely, so the only other way the engine will run is to let air bypass the through the IAC. If it's plugged up with gum and carbon, the air cannot bypass, resulting in the car stalling/hessiating/stalling when the foot is off the gas pedel / coming to a stop.

Try blasting it your intake with some carb cleaner:

warm up car to normal opperating temp. ( at idle run car until warm)

take the intake hose off of the intake

look inside beside the throttle body butterly, there should be a small peep hole

blast that hole with carb cleaner and while your at it blast the entire intake
too including the butterly. (it'll be messy so use a rag to catch whatever comes out)

when your done, start up the car again. you'll clouds of smoke for a few minutes. try running the car at idle for maybe 15-20 mins to get rid of all the carb cleaner.

hope this helps

djkdawg 09-18-2006 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4cylinder4ever (Post 3146957)
I think it may be the Idle Air Control Valve. Because when your car comes to a stop the butterfly in the intake closes completely, so the only other way the engine will run is to let air bypass the through the IAC. If it's plugged up with gum and carbon, the air cannot bypass, resulting in the car stalling/hessiating/stalling when the foot is off the gas pedel / coming to a stop.

Try blasting it your intake with some carb cleaner:

warm up car to normal opperating temp. ( at idle run car until warm)

take the intake hose off of the intake

look inside beside the throttle body butterly, there should be a small peep hole

blast that hole with carb cleaner and while your at it blast the entire intake
too including the butterly. (it'll be messy so use a rag to catch whatever comes out)

when your done, start up the car again. you'll clouds of smoke for a few minutes. try running the car at idle for maybe 15-20 mins to get rid of all the carb cleaner.

hope this helps

imma sure give this a try

TypeG 09-18-2006 10:36 PM

try the pcv valve. later.

djkdawg 09-22-2006 12:38 PM

will a broken pcv valve do that?

kylet_311 09-26-2006 09:22 PM

Well, you've basicly described my problem, but it happens to me when its running period, driving or not. My motor is carburated though, but it could still be the same thing. I thought it could be a vacuum leek or a leek in the break lines resulting in a leek in the vaccum system. Also, I know nothing about electronics or automatic sensors. The only thing automatic I get out of it is a headache and fried fingertips...:rolleyes:

djkdawg 09-30-2006 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by kylet_311 (Post 3159953)
Well, you've basicly described my problem, but it happens to me when its running period, driving or not. My motor is carburated though, but it could still be the same thing. I thought it could be a vacuum leek or a leek in the break lines resulting in a leek in the vaccum system. Also, I know nothing about electronics or automatic sensors. The only thing automatic I get out of it is a headache and fried fingertips...:rolleyes:

lol well i just went and got another throttle body and all the senors, imma test that tomorrow and let everyone know if that fixes the problem :confused: :confused:

idol4232003 10-04-2006 02:14 PM

i had a similar problem a while back:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=190252

i honestly dont remember doing anything about it as the problem eventually went away. i just let the engine idle for a long time (> 20 mins) and it eventually normalized itself. sorry not much direct help from me...but u may find some info from the above link.

djkdawg 10-06-2006 09:13 AM

i fixed that problem, i just bought a used intake manifold from the junk yard , with sensors still on it, and put it on and that problem stoped after i drove around for about 10 minutes, thank you everyone, i gained a new brake booster, master cyclinder, fuel filter, oil filter , fuel pump and new brakes, and none of those was the problem, to save money just get a new intake manifold and gasket.