Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   Difference between manifold and header (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/265668-difference-between-manifold-and-header.html)

passionateman 03-15-2007 03:55 PM

Difference between manifold and header

Hi guys

I was just wondering what the difference is between a manifold and header. I don't believe you could connect both of them to your engine because it has those 4 holes that go in the engine and I can only see one thing fitting there.

1. Is there any efficiency thing that one is better than the other?
2. What's better to use?

Thanks

Snoopy 03-15-2007 04:12 PM

the definition of an exhaust manifold is "a component of the exhaust system consisting of a collection of tubes, usually of cast iron, that channel the exhaust gases from the cylinders of an engine to the rest of the exhaust system."

in the dictionary header refers back to exhaust manifold when used in relation to automotive.

basically, different names for the same thing.

passionateman 03-15-2007 06:48 PM

Which one is better though? If you go and check websites to buy manifolds, they have both manifolds and headers in there, not together, but separate. And their prices are different too.

If they are the same thing, how come all websites put them separately then?

njblacksol 03-15-2007 08:11 PM

snoopy is 100% correct.... most people put it this way:

exaust manifold = stock term
header = aftermarket after

ur sure its EXAUST manifold ur looking up and not INTAKE manifold???
after market headers [ such as dc sports] produce more power, so i would say they're better to go with although i dont know if it changes emmisions or not

passionateman 03-15-2007 08:28 PM

The reason I am asking is that Honda dealer told me that the manifold in my car has rust and there is crack and they asked me to replace it, but they charge 950 bucks for it. I said not to do it..

So I wanted to see if I could put some performance part instead of the stock part and when I searched on the internet, I came across both manifold and header, but they look kinda the same. That made me wonder how on earth you could use both of them since the engine has 4 holes there, not 8.

So all you experienced guys should be able to help me out here. Correct me if I am wrong here.

All I need to do is buy a header aftermarket (not the ceramic one), which is more efficient and just remove the current stock manifold from my car and put this header instead? Is that right?

njblacksol 03-15-2007 08:38 PM

yup...just yang da old one out and slap the new one in.... exaust manifolds and headers ARE the same thing!

i would go with these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DC-sp...QQcmdZViewItem

but if u dont really care for performance and u just wanna look kool, or put a temporary replacement till you go dohc [ just in case u dont know Dual Over
Head Cam] then pick something cheap like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...QQcmdZViewItem

2gr84u 03-16-2007 05:32 AM

Just to help you out a little more, alot of the time when your dealing with turbos, people will refer to the portion that the turbo bolts upto as a manifold, just make sure that you can decern the difference when someone is speaking of a turbo manifold, and when someone is talking about a stock exhaust manifold.

Omniscient 03-16-2007 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2gr84u (Post 3419496)
Just to help you out a little more, alot of the time when your dealing with turbos, people will refer to the portion that the turbo bolts upto as a manifold, just make sure that you can decern the difference when someone is speaking of a turbo manifold, and when someone is talking about a stock exhaust manifold.

you mean turbo header.

Snoopy 03-16-2007 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Omniscient (Post 3419754)
you mean turbo header.

most often referred to as a turbo manifold

asiandoood 03-16-2007 10:44 AM

2 words meaning the same thing.

Omniscient 03-16-2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 3419943)
most often referred to as a turbo manifold

nah turbo header.

2gr84u 03-16-2007 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omniscient (Post 3420096)
nah turbo header.

ive never seen anyone refer to it as such

passionateman 03-16-2007 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2gr84u (Post 3419496)

I checked the recommedation page I got from the Honda dealer. It says that "Exhaust Manifold Leaking (Cracked)." So is it the header that I could purchase and it will replace this exhaust manifold thing?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Snoopy 03-16-2007 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by passionateman (Post 3420255)
I checked the recommedation page I got from the Honda dealer. It says that "Exhaust Manifold Leaking (Cracked)." So is it the header that I could purchase and it will replace this exhaust manifold thing?

Let me know.

Thanks.

yes. exhaust manifold = header

passionateman 03-16-2007 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 3420261)
yes. exhaust manifold = header

All righty. Thanks. Do you think if I get a cold air intake like the aem v2 along with a header, will that give me some horse power?

Snoopy 03-16-2007 03:00 PM

bolt on's will not give you any noticeable hp. dont mistake increased throttle response with hp. and definitely dont spend $300 on an aluminum pipe and filter.

passionateman 03-16-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 3420323)
bolt on's will not give you any noticeable hp. dont mistake increased throttle response with hp. and definitely dont spend $300 on an aluminum pipe and filter.

1. What do you mean by bolt on? You mean using these headers and air intake wouldn't make much of a difference?

Snoopy 03-16-2007 03:44 PM

that's what im saying

njblacksol 03-19-2007 07:23 AM

it will give you hp but you wont notice....it's so minimal i dun even refer to it as givin it any hp, i just say it helps me get to where i want to be ;)

My93Civic 03-19-2007 10:04 AM

I haven't posted here for a while....I thought I'd try to help out.

Like others have already suggested a "manifold" is another term for "header".

The correct term is exhaust manifold which means the header (aftermarket term).

As for the quoted $950 for a stock header, that's crazy`! But not totally surprising as its coming from a dealer.

---------

You can get an aftermarket header for cheap cheap money in the USA. So do not try to spend too much because it doesn't really matter with our little Civics, especially if your engine has had no work done to it.

I'd look into a Megan Racing 4-2-1 header because its cheap in price and most people have had no problems with it so far.

If you get a cheap price for something else which is name brand, jump on it. While your at it, I'd look and see if you can get it ceramic coated which will help the header from rusting down the line...

Good luck! Or if you don't care, head down to your local junk yard, and pick up a stock header from a Civic like yours....