Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself-50/)
-   -   Home-made Short Shifter (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/210163-home-made-short-shifter.html)

cs_729 10-21-2005 12:18 AM

Home-made Short Shifter

Hey... I was really bored and decided to see if i could make my own short shifter lol.. sounds dumb

I already hadda universal shift knob on.. so i took it off and cut the shifter about 3 inches off... put the shifter back on and it seems to be working fine haha.. seems shorter to me. I was going to buy a B&M short shifter anyways so i wanted to try this out to.. Gimme some feedback and let me know if i am an complete idiot or is that the general princepal of a short shifter(closer to the pivot point= shorter throws... thats my logic anyways)

Thanks Guys

exbrick 10-21-2005 04:21 AM

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. I think there's a little more involved with a commercial short shift kit (moving the pivot so that your hand can still be in a comfortable position, or extending the bottom instead of shortening the top) but...screw it. If it works, it works.

cs_729 10-21-2005 02:18 PM

Yeah thats what i though the basic princeple was

It works pretty good considering i took a hack saw to it hahah... Thanks for the reply

Anyone out there did what i did too??? Just curious lol

accord2016 10-22-2005 07:41 PM

http://clubhondaspirit.com/foro/inde...howtopic=15963

Ctrld-Kaos 10-25-2005 12:30 PM

ummmm yeah... the whole point of a short shifter is to decrease the length of the throw not the shifter itself.. kinda pointless to cut ur shift lever, all that did was increase the distance between you and the shift lever.. good job.

delsol161 10-26-2005 05:11 PM

i believe the secret behind commercial shorties, is the series of lil bends & such, crossed w/ a shorter shifter. like said above, it keeps it short, but in a goot position to make a difference.

good idea though ;)

Provocateur 10-26-2005 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by delsol161
i believe the secret behind commercial shorties, is the series of lil bends & such, crossed w/ a shorter shifter. like said above, it keeps it short, but in a goot position to make a difference.

good idea though ;)

No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

Whatever floats your boat....:dunno:

good idea though ;)

No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

good idea though ;)

good idea though ;)

raiden571 10-27-2005 10:04 AM

EASY CHIEF!!!! once is enough, lol

Provocateur 10-27-2005 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by raiden571
EASY CHIEF!!!! once is enough, lol

Sorry, just had to make my point loud and clear. :oh:

Double post times two. :chuckles:

autotracer 02-12-2007 09:36 PM

please DO NOT DO THIS MOD!!!

Anyone thinking about doing this mod - don't. It's really cheap (50$ on ebay) and freaking easy as crap (took me like an hour and I knew nothing of mechanics at the time) to install a B&M shifter in my old '95 civic. I just bought a '97 ex off a guy, and he had previously cut the shifter shaft about 3-4" down. This after constant usage messed up the internals in the gearbox and cost me a new transmission (it was grinding into 3rd and 4th gears after the 8-9 months after he did it). Maybe it was just the way the guy drove the car, or maybe it was a freak accident, who knows this is just my experience that i've learned from.

$50 > new transmission.
but that's just me and my noobieness.

hondub 02-23-2007 09:59 AM

I know im a little late but i just wanted to say that cutting your shifter isnt going to hurt the internals of the tranny. A real short shifter probaably does more damage due to faster movement of shafts which could be hard on the sychros. And to make a shifter, cut a little off the top then cut the little peice of the end where the shifter hooks to the linkage and weld the little piece you cut off the top in between the ball and the bearing housing. Or buy a $10 ebay one.

88'CRX 03-07-2007 02:41 PM

well hey the guy i bought my crx from did this to my shifter and it does feel shorter to me...and ya cutting it like this really would have no effect on the transmission in terms of hurting it...but are the shifters from ebay actually good? are they worth it cuz i heard they are kinda cheap and weak..

katraloko 03-08-2007 11:15 AM

nice i should try it

sherwood 03-08-2007 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo (Post 2570296)

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo (Post 2570294)

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo (Post 2570293)

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo (Post 2570292)

i thought i was the only one capable of this :chuckles:

90_crx_flaze 07-14-2007 01:39 PM

heres my therory on short shifters, most of the aluminum ones ive drivin with i snapped i dont think i shift hard but yeah i snap then bitches, i have a stock shifter i cut down about 2 inches, and found a old half inch pipe layin around cut it about half an inch long used a hacksaw and cut the shifter under the ball about half way between and welded in the peice of pipe and its been holdin good for about 4 years now, i did retap the shifter and put an oem knob back on and the gears are short and quick. anyone ever heard of a robo shifter? mounts on top of the linkage instead of underneath and its over a foot long and fully adjustable

Accordman95 08-08-2007 12:41 PM

does anyone know if the P-spec shifters are any good? Cause I'm bout to buy one.

sherwood 08-08-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Accordman95 (Post 3589321)
does anyone know if the P-spec shifters are any good? Cause I'm bout to buy one.

are you positive you need/want a short shifter.... seems like an awful waste to me.

Accordman95 08-08-2007 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by sherwood (Post 3589387)
are you positive you need/want a short shifter.... seems like an awful waste to me.

I'm thinking about it, why do you say that?

sherwood 08-08-2007 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Accordman95 (Post 3589618)
I'm thinking about it, why do you say that?

because the throw on these shifters isn't that far. I mean, I don't have a problem shifting, do you? It's not like it's a big rig with a foot and a half of play here.