Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   Windows keep fogging up...Help! (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/210609-windows-keep-fogging-up-help.html)

simsurfer 10-25-2005 07:35 AM

Windows keep fogging up...Help!

Does anyone know of a good product to use to keep the interior windows from fogging up as I am driving? Now that the cold weather is coming (its here today), my windows keep fogging up as I am driving with the heat on. I have to keep switching from front blower to the defroster then back again...a real pain :(

I am looking for a product that works well, is easy to apply and a product that lasts, is there such a thing :confused:

Thanks for any suggestions,

Scott

Misa 10-25-2005 07:51 AM

try running the heat on with the AC on, or off if you have in on :dunno:

ezshift5 10-25-2005 08:00 AM

..is that a Type VII...

...or a Type IX?

..don't think you're sharp enough for a Type XXI.......(joke)

ez

JimBlake 10-25-2005 08:30 AM

Don't use the recirculate setting.

93EXaccord 10-25-2005 09:07 AM

i live in ohio so i know your pain. I have had no trouble with my car, i start it about 7 mins early so it has time to warm up (i have found the car warms up faster with the blower off and recerculation on) then i put defrost on, after my windows are done, i leave the front vent on for like 3-5 mins and my car is toasty. so i just leave def/lower vent on like 1-2 setting the rest of the time im driving.

as for some spray or wipe ect. i have found none, nor have my family or friends. The best way is to make sure your coolant is correct, cause if you are getting heat like you are supposed to you should have no problems keeping your windows defogged.

flyromeo3 10-25-2005 09:20 AM

buy some interior rainX. I use that and it works fine.

simsurfer 10-25-2005 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ezshift5
...or a Type IX?

..don't think you're sharp enough for a Type XXI.......(joke)

ez

Its a VIIc I think, got it from www.uboat.net, and a little work in ImageReady :-)

strykernyc 10-25-2005 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by simsurfer
Does anyone know of a good product to use to keep the interior windows from fogging up as I am driving? Now that the cold weather is coming (its here today), my windows keep fogging up as I am driving with the heat on. I have to keep switching from front blower to the defroster then back again...a real pain :(

I am looking for a product that works well, is easy to apply and a product that lasts, is there such a thing :confused:

Thanks for any suggestions,

Scott

Turn the A/C on and set the temp u wish DONE.
sometimes u wont need to turn the ac on if is a clear day. but when is raining or snowing and u have the heat on then the a/c on is a most.

PunkAssKidThe1s 10-25-2005 09:53 AM

Ya, I almost always have AC on or my Accord tends to fog up...

flyromeo3 10-26-2005 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by PunkAssKidThe1s
Ya, I almost always have AC on or my Accord tends to fog up...

BUY SOME INTERIOR RAINX. THAT WILL FIX YOUR FOGGED UP WINDOWS WHETHER ITS RAINING OR SNOWING! Without having to turn on the AC

fstop128 10-26-2005 07:11 AM

^i tried the interior rainx it left a film. maybe im using the wrong thing to apply and remove it..

flyromeo3 10-26-2005 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by fstop128
^i tried the interior rainx it left a film. maybe im using the wrong thing to apply and remove it..

you put on to much. You have to put some on a dry cloth and rub it on.
I usually wait about 5 minutes to let it sit there and dry and then grab another lint free cloth and rub it around the window. That should remove that filmy look you were talking about.

strykernyc 10-26-2005 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
you put on to much. You have to put some on a dry cloth and rub it on.
I usually wait about 5 minutes to let it sit there and dry and then grab another lint free cloth and rub it around the window. That should remove that filmy look you were talking about.

and for how long this stuff work romeo?

flyromeo3 10-26-2005 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by strykernyc
and for how long this stuff work romeo?

The last time I put it on was before my trip to indiana in August.
We got all that rain these past few days and that storm the previous week.
My interior hasnt fogged up yet.

So I would say about 2 months it lasts.

RiceMaker200 10-26-2005 07:43 AM

Romeo is right i have it in my car and it works great. I took it from a friend, and its the best thing I ever did.

flyromeo3 10-26-2005 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by RiceMaker200
Romeo is right i have it in my car and it works great. I took it from a friend, and its the best thing I ever did.

lol.... i "took" it from a friend.. I "took" it from a friend too.

meredithf 10-26-2005 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
lol.... i "took" it from a friend.. I "took" it from a friend too.

haha, great friend

Accord1278 10-26-2005 01:17 PM

It's a simple fix, don't drive around with the recirculate function selected, unless you got the A/C on as well. The best thing to do is to turn off the recirculate or leave the A/C on with the heat (in that case you can leave the recirculate on). There's a reason why when you turn on your defroster, the A/C automatically clicks on. Another thing, make sure you windows are clean from the inside...wipe them down good with a cleaner.

fstop128 10-26-2005 02:28 PM

thanx! flyromeo3 ill try that this weekend.. my ac doesnt work anymore i use to use it..

SumAccordGuy94 10-26-2005 05:51 PM

if the recirculate is NOT on, make sure the recirculate motor is working... in my 90 EX the recirculate switch quit, leaving it stuck on recirculate. My windows fogged up all the time unless I had the windows open. My temporary fix was to activate the motor with test leads... so it was stuck on the fresh air setting instead.

TaekOne 10-27-2005 04:19 AM

something no one else mentioned was first checking to see if your car has an in-cabin air filter. if so, it might be a good idea to check and see if it needs replacement. dirt and grime can accumulate on the inside of your windshield, which will allow moisture to collect easier than if it were clean.

i guess the second practical thing you can do is keep your inside windows clean. they seem to fog up less for me.

and finally, yes, use that rainX anti-fog spray and make sure you apply it properly. i remember goofing around w/ it and trying it on my bathroom mirror, and i still have this circle that fogs up less than the rest from a year ago. good times.

hoyoung02 10-27-2005 06:08 AM

alot of windex worked for me

simsurfer 10-27-2005 07:07 AM

First chance I have had to reply (busy yesterday). Tried the AC thing turning off the recirculate and so far it has worked like a charm :-) I think my error was the fact that I had the recieculate option turned on when running the AC, that and or I normally dont run with AC on, just the vent.

I will try though the Rain X thing though this weekend when Im at the store.

Thanks all.

Thooks 10-27-2005 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by simsurfer
First chance I have had to reply (busy yesterday). Tried the AC thing turning off the recirculate and so far it has worked like a charm :-) I think my error was the fact that I had the recieculate option turned on when running the AC, that and or I normally dont run with AC on, just the vent.

I will try though the Rain X thing though this weekend when Im at the store.

Thanks all.

Save yourself some money first and just clean your windows very well with some glass cleaner (Windex, etc.)

The reason why the windows fog up is that there is excess moisture inside the car. Mainly this is because there's one or more human beings in it, creating the moisture by breathing. Plus, the outside is cold, the inside is warm, so the barrier (body, glass, etc.) wants to condensate. This forms the moisture (fog) on the warm side (inside).

The air-conditioning system in your car is no different that in your house. You are passing warm, moist air over a cooling coil to cool the air, and this in turn, removes moisture. The puddle under the car in the summer time that you notice is moisture that has been removed from the interior air in your car.

By running the fresh air (Non-recirc), A/C button on, and the temp dial about 1/2 way, you will reduce the moisture the fastest, while still gaining some heat in the car.

Try not to run the heat "full blast" (the temp dial all the way to red), and you should see a marked improvement. You can try this without running the A/C. Crack a back window if no one is riding back there, allowing more fresh air in also.

IME, the side windows are the toughest to keep fog free, because you are closest to them, and there's not a good bit of air blowing on them. The front and back are easiest, due to the rear window defroster and the front has the air on it.

Hope this helps.

FLAT_LINER 10-27-2005 07:55 AM

it might sound stupid but dawn soap will fix it....just pour some on a rag and wipe down your windows and it will keep them from fogging up

JL95AccorD 10-27-2005 08:05 AM

those with the interior rainx... is that stuff safe for window tints?

strykernyc 10-27-2005 08:55 AM

when is clear outside no matter what is the temp, I just make sure all i see is green lights and i set the heat to a confortable temp and i have zero problem but if is raining or snowing outside there is a 90+ chance i will need to turn the ac on and ofcourse change the way the air circulate or flow in the car.
is very true what Thooks said above.
u can also try this quick fix, dont talk dont breath :D

sherwood 10-27-2005 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by FLAT_LINER
it might sound stupid but dawn soap will fix it....just pour some on a rag and wipe down your windows and it will keep them from fogging up

true story.

you can do the same thing for your bathroom mirror.

BUT i'd suggest just using a hair dryer before gettin gin the car and opening the back windows a crack... it's easier

TaekOne 10-27-2005 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JL95AccorD
those with the interior rainx... is that stuff safe for window tints?

unless im mistaken, the only things that will harm window tint is ammonia which is mostly found in regular window cleaners. rain-x shouldnt have a harmful effect on tinted windows.

93EXaccord 10-28-2005 08:29 AM

along the same lines as dawn, is the shampoo fix, which you do the same thing except with shampoo... plus you can get your favorate sent.