Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself-50/)
-   -   cheap ways to increase horsepower? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/133830-cheap-ways-to-increase-horsepower.html)

estoner102 04-02-2004 11:58 AM

cheap ways to increase horsepower?

im interested in how many ways you guys can come up with to make more horsepower cheeply(when i say cheap i mean like free or costs below 100 bux). because im poor but i still like to drive my civic fast... well as fast a civic can go... which really isnt that fast. ;)

lkailburn 04-02-2004 12:02 PM

yeah... you could maybe buy a bicycle for 100 bucks and ride that really fast... there really isn't a whole lot that you can do that is inexpensive.. your best bang for your buck is a mini-me swap(if you have a y7 motor to start) and a turbo setup.. and obviously a turbo is not cheap..
idk maybe some other guys know some good secrets..

SOHKeg 04-02-2004 12:13 PM

you can take out your air filter for free... haha... that should free up a few good ponies for ya!

estoner102 04-02-2004 12:15 PM

yeah i already got a $1200 bike but i snapped the chain so i got to fix that lol

estoner102 04-02-2004 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SOHKeg
you can take out your air filter for free... haha... that should free up a few good ponies for ya!

good idea except that as soon as something gets sucked in there .... and bang!!!!! now i need a new engine.... ill just put an insect screen or something in there to prevent pebbles and shit from gettin in there

lkailburn 04-02-2004 01:09 PM

you should just buy a drop in k&n air filter to fit in the stock box. that would increase air flow but still filter everything out

SOHKeg 04-02-2004 01:58 PM

yeah spend the money on the K&N, the post was a joke

john666 04-02-2004 03:11 PM

ebay is your best friend..

93Nteg 04-03-2004 09:14 AM

ebay is my best friend. you can take off your power steering belt. fit a cone filter around your stock intake hose. cut your shifter.

white_n_slow 04-03-2004 12:35 PM

remove all un-nessesary accessories. a/c, PS, etc... Not only will you remove the weight (a/c weighs just under 40lbs, I don't know how much the PS pump weighs), you'll also reduce parasitic drag on the motor, freeing up maybe 1 or 2 ponies :exnbp:

You can also make a DIY "cold air intake" with some $6 dryer ducting. Coupled with a K&N drop in filter, will probably make another 1 or 2 ponies. To do this mod, you remove the intake resonator chamber from under the airbox (behind the bumper), attatch the ducting to the bottom of the stock airbox with a hose clamp, run the other end through the hole in the sheet metal under the airbox (where the stock resonator came through) and back behind the bumper. It will make the car sound cool, draw in colder air, and with a K&N filter, should make a couple hp. There's a good writeup/pictorial on g2ic.com.

raiden571 04-04-2004 01:11 PM

well muscle car guys consider turbos and nitrous "cheap" horsepower. but do u really need to have it RIGHT now? i would just save and be patient, thats what i am currently doing, remaining patient.

forum95 04-04-2004 05:14 PM

Nitrous.

djPaul 04-05-2004 03:20 PM

I heard that adding stripes increase your HP by up to 20% :D

JYSpeed 04-05-2004 03:22 PM

A few of ways...

Theres a few ways for under a buck. deffinatelly visit ebay and shop around. Cone intake filter replacing the airbox, $25 ~ 8hp + more torque and faster throttle. Bosche+4, $35 ~8hp + more torque. Adj. Fuel Pressure, $40 if used with more air and hotter plugs to burn more fuel, ~3hp @+3psi but a free flow exhaust is also helpful. Free flow muffler, $40 ~8hp + less torque and faster throttle and ricey sound. Ground Kit, $30 ~2hp + better throttle and accessories. If you dont just want to go straight, get some strut bars, and you can take turns faster. then if you want to spend more money, you can get even better power gains. Good Luck.

white_n_slow 04-05-2004 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JYSpeed
Theres a few ways for under a buck. deffinatelly visit ebay and shop around. Cone intake filter replacing the airbox, $25 ~ 8hp + more torque and faster throttle. Bosche+4, $35 ~8hp + more torque. Adj. Fuel Pressure, $40 if used with more air and hotter plugs to burn more fuel, ~3hp @+3psi but a free flow exhaust is also helpful. Free flow muffler, $40 ~8hp + less torque and faster throttle and ricey sound. Ground Kit, $30 ~2hp + better throttle and accessories. If you dont just want to go straight, get some strut bars, and you can take turns faster. then if you want to spend more money, you can get even better power gains. Good Luck.

What a fabulous first post!

:rolleyes:

Since you're new, I'll be nice. Most of those ebay parts, and all their "power claims," are total garbage. If an ebay filter makes 8hp, then I'm Teddy Roosevelt.

lkailburn 04-05-2004 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
What a fabulous first post!

:rolleyes:

Since you're new, I'll be nice. Most of those ebay parts, and all their "power claims," are total garbage. If an ebay filter makes 8hp, then I'm Teddy Roosevelt.

hahahahahahahahahahaaa :p

john666 04-05-2004 07:05 PM

putting a V-tec sticker on your car will improve looks and will scare away all.

estoner102 04-08-2004 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by john666
putting a V-tec sticker on your car will improve looks and will scare away all.

of course ;) how could i not have a vtec sticker?!?!? especially on a non-vtec honda. what a necessity

jeterkm02 04-08-2004 11:44 AM

go on a diet and lose weight, you'll be faster... theoretically

PikkaGTR 04-12-2004 04:00 PM

i heard air fesheners give 10 hp as well

TRAVIS91 04-13-2004 04:32 PM

you could get a couple of stickers...slap em on the fender..there you go theres 10 hp each sticker...atleast thats wat everyone thinks where im from.

alphaxxn 04-14-2004 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by estoner102
of course ;) how could i not have a vtec sticker?!?!? especially on a non-vtec honda. what a necessity

it doesnt matter if it is non vtec, it will still scare them away, which will totally annhilate the need for HP because youll have noone to beat. See? Much cheaper then a turbo, only idiots do that :P

diy filter box = cool project ^-^

uclaccord 04-17-2004 12:45 AM

i sincerely hope ur kidding as with the rest of the replies to this thread...otherwise u need to do more research and stop listening to egay vendors...and btw...it aint all bout hp...by that i mean, research torque gains as well, not just 'more torque'...in response to the original guy w/ the question...prolly the best thing u can do is make urself a cold air intake...won't be as good as real cai, but better than stock...use the search button for more info...keep in mind u won't really get any real power from a civic for <100...u can get better handling w/ strut bars and sways (not tie bars, bad)...ur civic is light, and like they also said, making it lighter helps some...gl

habitatsk8r392 04-17-2004 08:01 PM

how about you sell your car for a different one. im sure you could get a 240 or a mustang GT thats a few years older

s1ngle 04-17-2004 09:49 PM

8 hp for PLATINUM plugs? wow.

khmy2ner 04-20-2004 03:23 PM

And of course, everyone knows that to break into the 10's, ya gotta have the type R sticker. :D

PRE SHE ATE ME 04-21-2004 06:42 AM

Well, yellow cars are fast

Milovius 04-24-2004 12:24 PM

Relocate the intake

If you move the intake tube to the front you'll get a better responce from the engine thanks to the cold air. I fabbed up a whole box and put in a filter from a Ford SUV. Doesnt do alot for HP but does make a nice throaty sound when you pound the pedal. Better plugs will also make the engine kick a little harder. I put in Bosch platinum 4's and I could see a difference in idle RPM. Other than that you have to spend money :) .

LudeRage 04-25-2004 06:34 PM

Milovius and JYspeed must be friends.

The Question 04-30-2004 03:02 AM

get yorself a straight pipe, or actually a test pipe... to me i think its the cheapest mod to spend for for some increased hp.