Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself-50/)
-   -   DIY SCS Service Connector and SRS Reset (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/243612-diy-scs-service-connector-and-srs-reset.html)

totalimmortal 07-23-2006 01:47 PM

DIY SCS Service Connector and SRS Reset

An SCS Service Connector is used to reset your SRS light, which every Honda owner will eventually end up having to do. The dealer charges anywhere from $65 to $95 to do this, I'll show you how to do it for under $10.00. First you need to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and pick up some late model Honda speaker harnesses by Metra. The Metra model number is 72-7802. Cut the female disconnects off the ends of the speaker harnesses and strip about a half inch of jacket off of the wire. Twist the wire together and tape up the bare wire, you now have an SCS Service Connector for quite a but less than what Honda would have charged for one.

Now I'll show you how to reset the light. We've allready done the 1st step by making the SCS Connector.
You'll need to find the MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector.
It is a yellow connector with two wires in it that is plugged into the back of the driver's side fuse box, unplug it and pull it down. Once you have done that you can begin the process of erasing the memory. Here's a diagram for clearer understanding.

1st step in erasing the memory is to turn the ignition off and connect the SCS Service connector to the MES Plug,

2nd Turn Ignition on. SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds then go off.

3rd Disconnect SCS service connector for MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS indicator light goes off. SRS indicator light will come on again.

4th Reconnect SCS service connector the MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS light comes on. SRS indicator light will go off.

5th Disconnect SCS service connector from MES connector within 4 seconds. SRS indicator light will indicate that memory is erased by blinking 2 times.

6th Turn ignition off, and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle like normal and light should come on and go out like normal. You have reset your SRS light, congrats.

It worked first time for me. If it doesn't work first time, try again. The timing has to be pretty precise. Doing it with the connector I made is much easier that using a paper clip to jump the connector. Good Luck

totalimmortal 07-31-2006 09:54 AM

Here's a diagram of where the connector is located. It's easy to find once your up there.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...3/83299639.gif

fjm1 07-31-2006 11:56 AM

Excellent Post, thank you!

edulerp87 09-28-2006 09:03 AM

thank god ;) you saved me a buck!

bksaccount 09-30-2006 11:45 PM

Does anyone know where the MES Connector is on a 1995 Prelude? There is a 2wire yellow harness but it connects into a plug that has 2 pins inside, so I don't think that's the right MES connector.

However, i tried that connector but the instructions didn't work. Any ideas?

bksaccount 10-01-2006 12:23 PM

So I looked some more and found another 2 wire yellow harness connector, labeled A in my photo, but it didn't work either when I tried it. Picture is linked. B is the SRS harness according to the service manual.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6815/wireskv3.jpg

Does anyone know where the MES is.. please help!

totalimmortal 10-01-2006 01:07 PM

Have you tried B??? Does the connector you made fit into connector B?? Keep in mind, if they're really is something wrong this wont fix it.

sheekdude 11-29-2006 12:18 PM

Light stays on after step 5???

tried it on my 1999 acura tl and it worked up to when it was supposed to blink 2 times for the memory to be erased and nothing happens. light stays on after step 5. Any ideas???

westcoaststyle 11-29-2006 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by sheekdude (Post 3246620)
Any ideas???

Originally Posted by totalimmortal (Post 3164773)
Keep in mind, if they're really is something wrong this wont fix it.

:oh:

totalimmortal 11-30-2006 06:02 AM

^^^That about sum's it up.

Mr. Pink 03-29-2007 06:22 AM

is this the connector for a 02 civic?http://images.cardomain.net/products...ET727800_1.jpg

totalimmortal 03-29-2007 08:03 AM

All you gotta do is look up there and see.

Mr. Pink 03-29-2007 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by totalimmortal (Post 3436434)
All you gotta do is look up there and see.

i was hoping to avoid contorting my 6'2" 275lb frame into the floor boards so i thought i'd just ask. but i guess thats what i'll do. thx anyways.

almew 04-07-2007 11:47 AM

Great Advice - Worked Perfectly

I had just made an appointment at the dealership for the SRS light staying on my 2001 civic. I was told the diagnostic would run over 90 bucks and that it may take three hours :mad: . I read the advice and instructions on this site and gave it a try. Best advice I have ever taken in relation to repairing my hondas. I am not the most mechanically inclined individual and was also worried about the fuctioning after completion. As soon as I completed the steps - the SRS light behaved as if new (stayed on for a few seconds after starting and went out). Thanks for saving me some money!! A word of caution for those, like me, who do not deal with repairs often: The MES plug has a release tab. Depress the tab and it will come out smooth. I tore up the base of the plug due to my lack of patience.

greenaccord02 04-09-2007 10:14 PM

This is my first post - I've been lurking for two days. Just got my EX the other day and found out about this place shortly after. Anyway, my SRS indicator was on and I cleared it using this procedure, which worked perfectly. I went in today to take advantage of the 'Honda Car Care Days' or whatever it's called - in April they give you a free 40 point inspection regardless of warranty/mileage and check your car for recall notices. My car had a recall notice on the airbag system (and another unrelated one), but since I had cleared the system's memory they were unable to tell exactly what the srs problem was. Anyway, people with 02 year model accords (and everybody else) might want to go have their car checked for a recall if the light is on. This might be a problem that you can get fixed free. The service tech asked me why I cleared the light, I said "So it would go away."

Sorry for the long post. Good forum you've got here.

totalimmortal 04-10-2007 06:06 AM

If it doesn't come back, then it was nothing. If it comes back, take it back for the recall.

greenaccord02 04-10-2007 05:41 PM

Got the car back today - they tested the ODPS and found it was bad. It was replaced, as were the seat sensors, for free.

kristian_0 04-18-2007 01:03 AM

Does this proceed (srs light reset) work on cr-v ? (1997.)

totalimmortal 04-18-2007 10:04 AM

I don't see why not, the connector may be in a different spot.

WillGatlin18 05-09-2007 03:28 AM

94 Honda Accord ABS

The abs light is on in my 94 honda accord. I dont know if theres actually somehting wrong with it or the light just came on because something wierd triggered it.

I dont know where the connector is to reset the abs system. In the thread it was describing certain places but that doesnt match my car. My OBD1 connector is under the passenger side glove box, is that other connector my abs service connector?

If so, can i just use a paper clip to short it and read a code like the check engine liight? Or is there a way to just directly re-set the abs system.

THanks.

2005HCH 06-06-2007 07:54 PM

Airbag light on after shampooing the front passenger seat

It is a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. The airbag light stays on after the seat was shampooed, which is still damp. Tried the first steps and did not seem to turn off the light at all. Maybe I need to wait until the seat it dry?

Also wondering if it indates only the front passenger airbag is turned off or both front bags?

2005HCH 06-07-2007 10:49 AM

The trick worked!!!

Just to to share with the forum that I successfully applied the steps today and reset the SRS indicator.

One important tip: making sure that the wire/clip is in good contact with the connector. I was using a paper clip that is too thick and had to use a wire instead.

I think Honda/Accura should do it free of charge or allow owners to reset easily.

dvpatel 06-26-2007 04:59 PM

I have this problem in a 2001 accord. It only has 58K miles. I looked at the fuse boxes on the sides (both driver and passenger) and cannot locate this elusive 2 pin yellow plug. Where exactly is this in a 2001 Accord V6 LX? Any pix for the same model?

Thanks

Josher 07-17-2007 05:05 PM

Check out http://www.geocities.com/myintegra96/srs.html for more pictures and steps on resetting the srs.

sarben 10-29-2007 09:30 AM

Thank you!

I used your procedure for re-setting the SRS light on my 2001 Civic and it worked perfectly. My dealer was going to charge me $400 for a new module and never suggested a re-set.

Thank you so much again for your help.

totalimmortal 10-29-2007 09:55 AM

I'm glad my thread is still helping people:D

jjjjjoey 02-04-2008 04:36 PM

Man this light has been bugging me for a while. Thanks!!!

nickymetro 03-10-2008 09:16 PM

srs reset

hi,i have a 2000 acura tl,i had all the lights on my dash come on one day,talking to a friend ,he said how old is your battery,might be the problem,it was 7 years old,so i changed it,and the lights all went out execpt the srs,which i had brought to the dealer for the recall 3 months ago,not wanting to waste another day to bring it in again,thought i'd try this instead.
i schould have went and got the speaker plug that is mentioned on here,but i had a old on-off flip switch so i wired it up so i didnt have to keep bending over to pull the plug,i could shut the switch to open and close the short,which is what the plug does by pulling it off and on,i used a ohm meter on the ends so i knew which position on the switch was open(off) and which was closed(on) or shorted(better with a switch that is marked with on and off),well it didnt work,because i wasnt getting a good connection. so i got some connectors and added a piece of paper clip to the ends of the wires,and it still didnt work,never got passed step 4,i didnt believe it,almost took it back to the dealer,when i reread the posts on here and saw the one about the thick paper clip,i redid the connectors and added a skinny paper clip to the ends of the wires and stuck it in the bottom holes on the connector,its hard to see under the dash even with a light and then it worked,i was happy to say the least,if i had to do it again,i would get the connector that they said on here,because it gives you a much better connection,but you can add some more wire to it to make it longer with a toggle switch at the end,so you can sit in the driver seat and do this reset without reaching down to pull the plug in and out,thanks to all on here for your inputs,and i hope this helps someone else not to go crazy like i almost did. its also better if you have a helper,to read the instructions or to look at the light,wish i did!

nickymetro 03-10-2008 09:36 PM

thanks totalimmortal and 2005hch,
i didnt remember your names whem i was writing the post.

nick

1199c 03-20-2008 01:55 PM

great post. saved me at least $100!