Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   Accord 95 cold Start problems (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/70049-accord-95-cold-start-problems.html)

sks_bos 05-16-2003 11:26 AM

Accord 95 cold Start problems

Hi,
My 95 Honda Accord (4 cylinder) refuses to start on cold days. Pepboys changed the battery and the starter after doing diagnostics(! :mad: ) each time, but the problem still exists.

I have usually noticed the problem on cold days. The engine makes the cranking sound, but it does not start. On warm days (temp. > 50), I do not have any problems. Pepboys said that they can diagnose it correctly only when the car does not start. Now that the weather is better, I do not have the problem, but I feel that I will get stranded once it starts getting cold again.

Has anyone had similar problems. What would be the solution?
Thanks.
:(

95AccordEXR 05-16-2003 01:45 PM

fuel

how do you define "cold morning"?

VRGNCD5 05-16-2003 05:06 PM

Re: Accord 95 cold Start problems

Originally posted by sks_bos
Hi,
My 95 Honda Accord (4 cylinder) refuses to start on cold days. Pepboys changed the battery and the starter after doing diagnostics(! :mad: ) each time, but the problem still exists.

I have usually noticed the problem on cold days. The engine makes the cranking sound, but it does not start. On warm days (temp. > 50), I do not have any problems. Pepboys said that they can diagnose it correctly only when the car does not start. Now that the weather is better, I do not have the problem, but I feel that I will get stranded once it starts getting cold again.

Has anyone had similar problems. What would be the solution?
Thanks.
:(

I've never had it not start(Well, once when I went to Monterey:angry: ) but I have noticed that it does crank a bit slower, more lethargic than usual. I just replaced my battery cause it was that time, but when it's warm out, like you said, it starts up so much easier. I am hoping that my fuel injection system is clogged from the 9 years of work they've been putting in. I am planning on getting the system cleaned thouroughly this weekend, hopefully my lady will give me the ok:oh:

sks_bos 05-26-2003 07:01 PM

how do you define "cold morning"?
----
Usually around 50 Degrees or less. Also, I have noticed that when I do not start it for 1 or 2 days, I have this problem, even with temp around 60 degrees. To sum it up, the starting problem exists, either when the temp is below 50 degrees, or when I have not started for 1 or 2 days and temp is below 60 degrees. If I need to check the spark plugs or the distributor, what is the testing equipment that I need.
Thanks,

95AccordEXR 05-27-2003 07:17 AM

hahaha... I define cold as -20C

I'd say you have a grounding problem

sks_bos 06-03-2003 10:09 AM

I'd say you have a grounding problem
-----------------------------
Is there any way of finding out where the grounding problem exisits?
Also, if it is grounding problem, how does it explain the car starting when the weather gets better (> 60), even though it did not start for 2 days (when temp was below 50).
Even before my battery and starter was changed (by pepboys :mad: ), the car started fine with temp > 60.

Once, my car was sitting in my office parking lot for 3 days (temp was below 50). I tried starting atleast 3 or 4 times everyday. On the 4th day, the temp. was above 50, and the car started on the first try!!!

xtomxfallsx 01-30-2004 07:56 AM

I'm having the same problem with my 94 Accord. Starts like a dream in normal weather, but these damn WI winters are COLD. I just got a new battery in it (a month or two ago), put some Heet in the gas tank last time I filled up (yesterday) and today it won't start at all.

It just sounds like it's not getting enough oomph to turn over, but it does crank, albeit very slowly.

VRGNCD5 01-31-2004 04:57 AM

My car wouldn't start again a couple weeks ago. It wouldn't even crank over. And yes, it was cold outside. I push started it and it's been fine ever since. I don't know what to do.

AcuraFanatic 01-31-2004 09:32 AM

My 1999 Accord LX 4-cylinder seems to start particularly slow in the cold weather. I don't know how slow is slow but it seems like this is almost a characteristic of the F-Series. :dunno:

lilteg01 01-31-2004 07:53 PM

cold weather

I only have trouble starting my car when im low on fule. I too have a 95 but i live in SOCal where a cold morning is like 65.

SmutWanter 02-02-2004 05:39 PM

Generally when this problem occurs when it is cold it is because condensation can form in the gas tank when the tank is not full. When this happens the condensation (water) can get into the fuel pump and freeze in colder temps, but that would have to be under 32 degrees obviously. I had this problem last winter, and I solved it by buying an additive that is made by Heet that takes the water out of your gas tank during cold weather.
It is odd though that you would have problems getting enough power for it to start that far above freezing temps...

thesacrifice 03-01-2004 03:18 PM

my god damn POS 92 accord is sitting in the driveway right now , with the same problem. It cranks just fine but won't start...

I'm having all kinds of weird issues with it lately anyways. After it hasn't been driven in a while, and I put it in reverse and pull out, it makes a weird winding noise. That and the battery dies in a matter of days

SmutWanter 03-01-2004 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by thesacrifice
my god damn POS 92 accord is sitting in the driveway right now , with the same problem. It cranks just fine but won't start...

I'm having all kinds of weird issues with it lately anyways. After it hasn't been driven in a while, and I put it in reverse and pull out, it makes a weird winding noise. That and the battery dies in a matter of days

Another problem I used to have with my car starting was a simple one. I had a minor oil leak that caused my oil to be low every couple of months and the same problem that you have had with it cranking and not starting occured.

In terms of you thinking the battery dies in a matter of days, then maybe your alternator isn't doing the job of recharging the battery like it should do.

Starting problems like these are always toughest to fix, because anything as little as oil being low, to cold temps., spark plugs or wires, to bad alternators, etc. can cause a car not to start and provide the proper power, and sometimes these problems can't be pinpointed until the car really breaks down unfortunately.

thesacrifice 03-01-2004 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by SmutWanter
Another problem I used to have with my car starting was a simple one. I had a minor oil leak that caused my oil to be low every couple of months and the same problem that you have had with it cranking and not starting occured.

In terms of you thinking the battery dies in a matter of days, then maybe your alternator isn't doing the job of recharging the battery like it should do.

Starting problems like these are always toughest to fix, because anything as little as oil being low, to cold temps., spark plugs or wires, to bad alternators, etc. can cause a car not to start and provide the proper power, and sometimes these problems can't be pinpointed until the car really breaks down unfortunately.

it just turned over.. i need to get to the post office allllll day, and 30 minutes after they close, the car decides it wants to turnover...