Notices

1/4 Mile Times for Auto Prelude (99)

Old 07-11-2004, 06:42 PM
PrittyPearlLude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Mile Times for Auto Prelude (99)

Ok. People are telling me different Stories about an Automatic Prelude. Some are telling me automatics are better drag cars, while others are telling me they basically suck. I was told that my car coudln't beat a stock Civic? I don't want to run my car and get embarassed. So if anyone could tell me what an Auto Lude will run. Please help me out here. Also, if you know of any mods to make my car faster. Let me know. Thanks!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Auto Preludes, do, infact, suck. Anyone who says the auto is a better drag car has been playing with domestics for a little too long. Even at that, manuals are still better if you can use them with 100% precision.

No idea on times, we need to know the year and model first.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 PM
EVO VIII
Imports over Domestic

Word
Old 07-12-2004, 03:26 AM
PrittyPearlLude

It is a 1999 Honda Prelude 2.2L Vtech engine. I have a catback exhaust and a CAI. It has the sportronic shift mode. Does that help anything?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:37 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

maybe not. But 1/4 times aren't everything. That lude will beat own almost any civic that hasn't been heavily modded on a road course, or in the twisties in the mtns. I couldn't afford to go all out with my civic ex so I just did suspension job along w/ intake/exhaust etc. and I can outcorner all kinds of "sporty" cars when it comes to staying on the road. Plus I'm crazy enough to take 30 mph corners at 60...
Old 07-12-2004, 04:37 AM
PrittyPearlLude

Oh yea my prelude handles like a dream. I put Tein coilovers in them and the ride is so awesome.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
monkey

Originally Posted by bluetwo
maybe not. But 1/4 times aren't everything. That lude will beat own almost any civic that hasn't been heavily modded on a road course, or in the twisties in the mtns. I couldn't afford to go all out with my civic ex so I just did suspension job along w/ intake/exhaust etc. and I can outcorner all kinds of "sporty" cars when it comes to staying on the road. Plus I'm crazy enough to take 30 mph corners at 60...
uh, no not necessarily.

a civic weighs 2500 lbs, a lude weighs 3000 lbs. both have double wishbone suspensions, both are FF drivetrain.

all it takes for the civic to outhandle the lude is a good set of shocks and springs. as far as road courses go, if it's got some long straights, the SS lude may have a shot. otherwise, no.

the SS (Auto) lude has been clocked at around 16.4s in the 1/4 mile. it dynos about 150 whp. it's pretty slow, and not worth drag racing.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:35 PM
PrittyPearlLude

so basically your telling me I shouldn't drag race the lude?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:07 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

DON'T RACE WITH THE SPORTSHIFT TRANSMISSION!!!!!

That's a trouble-prone transmission to begin with. Was not a bright spot for Honda, that's for sure. The torque converter can't handle continuous dropdowns to begin with (you keep going through the gears at high rpms, you're gonna do some damage), and it's got a stupid computer program that robs performance from the car all together. Not to mention, it's only a 4 speed. I seem to remember the 5 speed being almost 2 seconds faster to 60 than the sportshift.

My advice is to sell it and buy a stick.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 PM
monkey

Originally Posted by PrittyPearlLude
so basically your telling me I shouldn't drag race the lude?
yeah, drag racing an auto-lude is a waste of time (since you'll lose alot of races.)

even with a supercharger and lots of money dumped into the engine, the best you can hope for is high 13s times.

and like fastball said, the transmission is also a timebomb waiting to explode, since they are pretty much one of the most unreliable transmissions honda has ever made, so pushing your luck by drag racing with it is begging for a pricey rebuild/replacement.

i know this sounds kind of depressing, but it's just one of those things: ss ludes were never meant for any kind of racing.