Notices

Help Mounting new speakers!!!!

Old 04-05-2004, 03:43 PM
yankee81116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Mounting new speakers!!!!

I got 4 new rockford fosgate speakers. I heard about cutting the basket in the doors. I am fine with that. I am just confused about the extra wires that run to the factory speakers. My speakers came with two wires + and -. I also know that there is the separate amp and the whole acoustic feedback thing in the rear speakers. I want to keep those. All i want is to put in my new speakers. I need help with the wiring!!!! Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 04:49 AM
Ohio99Lude

I have not replaced the component speakers in the door of my prelude but I do know a little bit about the back speakers. They are 2 Ohm speakers that are part of the acoustic feedback system. I believe you need to take out or rewire the speakers so they do not use the amp for that system. Are you replacing the front speakers with component speakers?

Here is a site that explains the replacement of new speakers and/or head unit in a 5th generation Honda Prelude. It also explains the Acoustic Feedback System.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/v/i/vidgamer/preludeaudio.html
Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 AM
yankee81116

No, Im just puttin in 3 way speakers in the front doors. I will keep the factory tweeters, but i also dont mind takin them out if i need too. The problem with the back is that i really want to keep the acoustic feedback system because i heard that the speakers really sound crappy without it.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Ohio99Lude

If you are putting 3 way speakers in the front I don't think you can use the factory tweeter. Are you putting new 6x9 speakers in the back? If you are you can't use the feedback system because each rear speaker has a microphone attached, which is part of the acoustic feedback system. The factory amp is a part of that system which only sends a monophonic signal to the back speakers and the factory speakers are rated for 2 ohms (regular car speakers are usually rated at 4 ohms). If you go with an aftermarket 2 or 3 way speaker you will get more high frequency noise compared to the factory Prelude speakers. If you read the link that I posted it should tell you everything you need to know.

From my research I have found this:
You will have to bypass the acoustic feedback system in the back if you want to put in aftermarket speakers.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:59 PM
yankee81116

I have two more questions....1)i can see the actual mic in the rear speakers, can i rip then out and attach em to my new ones?? 2) the front speaker has 4 wires goin to it, i kno 2 r for the tweeter, is there a way to tell which one is without takin off the door panel, like r the two wires closest to the pushthingy the tweeter, or vice versa? thanks alot
Old 04-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Vampgrrl
Farscape 1 pilot

I replaced my back speakers, front speakers and head unit. Front speakers sound great, back sounds shitty. The rears are 6x9 Alpines and all I can get out of them is a muddy heavy bass too. Which sucks kinda, fortunately the front speakers override alot of that but it's still quite annoying.
I liked the stock system but the CD player stopped working and I blew one of the front speakers and I blew a rear speaker as well.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Ohio99Lude

Front:
I can't really help you out with the wiring question because I have not replace the front speakers in my Prelude yet.
Back:
Since the speakers are rated for different ohms and are hooked up differently (Honda Factory = Mono w/ AFBS; Aftermarket = Stereo w/ out AFBS), I don't think this would be possible.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 PM
yankee81116

Well i just installed my rear speakers today. This is what i did....the factory harness has two things goin into it...the positive and negative and the wires for the mic. Wat is did was disconnect the mic from the stock speakers and i stuck em to the back of the aftermarket speakers. So i didnt have to cut or splice any wires. My question is is it better to have the aftermarket speakers hooked up mono with afbs or do it stereo witout afbs. Also how would i make it stereo instead of mono and having them hooked up the way i do now does that take away some power???
Old 04-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Ohio99Lude

Have you tested the new rear speakers yet? I would like to know how it came out with your setup. Also, what size of speakers are you putting in the front speaker locations? I am looking at a 6 1/2 or 5 1/4 size speaker and would like to know which one fits best in that location.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:22 PM
yankee81116

Ya the rear speakers sound really good. The Acoustic Feeback System sounds like its still workin cuz i cranked it up all the way and it was still crystal clear. It almost feels like I got subs in the trunk. I just installed the front speakers. They were 6.5, however fittin them em was not fun at all. If i had to do it again i would stick in 5 1/4 speakers.