Notices

H22A block rebuild for 20psi ?

Old 03-21-2004, 09:27 AM
STZP1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A block rebuild for 20psi ?

I have a 93 jdm h22 motor that I mistreated and I need to rebuild the block and head to handle 20psi, because anything less is boring. I already have an ACT clutch and the full f-max kit which includes a turbonetics T3/T4, spearco front mount, blow off, wastegate the whole deal.

I know I'll need engine/fuel management and axles for my plans but I'm more concerned with my internals right now. I'm ready to order here's my list-

JE low compression pistons
crower rods
JE rings
darton sleeves
King bearings
copper head gasket

v-tec/turbo cams ?
valves/springs/retainers?

I was considering race engineering?

I build houses not engines so if you guys could help me out and let me know if I should modify or add anything to my list that would be great. I'm not scared to spend the money. Where do you suggest purchasings these parts?
My goal is 400hp.

StreeTTrendz
Boston, MA
Old 03-22-2004, 06:48 AM
lildrgn

If you have the money send the block off to get built.
Darton sleeves are good, but with every brand you are going to have a few bad production runs.

JE 9:1 Pistons /w rings are a very good choice for Turbo Pistons.
Crower Rods are also a very good choice. A little overkill since you are only going for 400hp.
King Bearings are OK. I have not heard much for or against them. I stayed with Honda.
I dont know much about the headgaskets but when in doubt stock is good.

The stock cams are good for some power, but I would change your Cam gears out. Personally Unorthodox gears are the only way to go.

Send your head to portflow. They do fairly good work, and I have heard very few horror stories about their shop and work. They will upgrade your Valves, springs, and retainers for you.

P28 and a Hondata for your fuel management.
Atleast 550 injectors (minimum)

AEM FPR and Fuel Rail
Walboro Highflow fuel pump

Get your Intake Mani ported, or buy one. Golden Eagle / ect...

Extra stuff you can get while you have everything apart.

Braided Steel cables. Drive shaft shop stage 2 axles.

You will have to go to a bigger exhaust pipe. The stock one wont flow real well past 300 hp.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:43 AM
ludeboom

king bearings are my first choice for quality
darton sleeves
crower rods
lowering compression will mean you make less power. but on 20 psi, you should be making quite a lot of power anyway so the lower compression pistons are probably necesary. either way you need forged pistons.
stick with the stock head gasket.
stock cams are usually the best bet for turbo. although you will need cam gears to dial out some duration overlap.
fuel management is on you...
550cc injectors should be OK with proper tuning.
exhaust wise, for 400HP you are going to want full 3 inch turbo back exhaust, inclusing 3 inch downpipe and an external wastegate to prevent boost creep.

~boom
Old 03-22-2004, 07:21 PM
boostlee

give group5motorsports.com a call, they work with aebs racing to build blocks

Boost Lee
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
STZP1

I know I said 20psi but I might be restricted to 15-17psi because to run 20psi I would have to go with the darton MID kit which costs a hell of a lot more than the replacement sleeves, also a lot more work for the machine shop. With that said, does that change anything you guys reccomend.

I have an external wastegate, and 2.5 inch exhaust from the turbo back

sorry, I thought I was going to be able to run 20psi.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:43 AM
lildrgn

You wont know what all is hurting you until you get it tuned, but I think your exhaust is to small.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Turbo Sam

oh yes, exhuast is definately too small. you can get away with the 2.5" for the downpipe,thats what i had on my last setup, but i had it going to a 3" mandrel bent stainless exhuast fairly quickly as well. even something as minor as the silencer in my muffler made a noticeable difference.

if you are doing all this work, including sleeving, why stop at 17psi???

oh, and 550 injectors will be too small, if you are running 17-18psi with a good turbo setup with good tuning you should see ~400whp, which mean you will be running your injectors at close to 90% duty cycle,and injecttors have a hard time sustaining that much work. i suggest somthing more like ~670cc
Old 03-27-2004, 07:35 AM
STZP1

I was told by a rep. from Darton that the replacement sleeves could only handle up to 17psi.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Turbo Sam

Originally Posted by STZP1
I was told by a rep. from Darton that the replacement sleeves could only handle up to 17psi.
Golden Eagle sleeves are pressure tested to 60psi..... and exceeding 60psi is one of only 2 ways to woid the warrantee, the other is acid washing
Old 03-27-2004, 10:37 AM
EliteBob13
I nearly wet myself!

So what kind of 1/4 mile times would one be looking at with this 20 psi setup? (just out of curiousity)

Quick Reply: H22A block rebuild for 20psi ?