Notices

How good r 5th gen preludes?

Old 03-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Lude Assassin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good r 5th gen preludes?

Question, how good r 5th gen preludes in terms of street/dragstrip performance? I'm in the market 4 my 1st car and I've been looking at the 5th gen prelude 4 sum time now. But I want my 1st car 2 be one that is a good street cruiser but if pushed can make an unsuspecting driver feel like they're in reverse.
P.S. I intend 2 modify my 'lude in such a way that it's comfortable 4 the streets but is powerful enough 4 occassional track days. Any ideas 4 mods? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:04 PM
joostdyk
eluded si

:cough: research :cough:
this is way to broad of a topic. if you want some serious responses, you have to be specific on what kinds of modifications you want to do and what kind of price range you're in.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Lude Assassin

Originally Posted by joostdyk
:cough: research :cough:
this is way to broad of a topic. if you want some serious responses, you have to be specific on what kinds of modifications you want to do and what kind of price range you're in.
Oh. Okay. Well I'm looking 2 spend a max of $13k 4 the car itself, and I'm looking 4 engine modifications that I can get huge power gains from while being on a $7k budget 4 now.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:37 AM
jc836

All I can say is that you are still not specific enough-with one exception. You want a combination street/drag car. With that said-you will spend more than $7000 for either a full turbo or SC properly installed. There is a lot of work internally that needs to be done before you can boost. Since you are not buying a new car, you do not know the condition of the engine or tranny. Some will suggest using nitrous-but that too has certain risks.

To make things more complex-you want to try to race a near 3000 (stock) car. Consider that in a stock class the hood is very heavy. That is one reason why people use a CF one. No body kits, btw. You will want a street look if you are doing anything resembling a sleeper. Our cars can go quick and still look stock-just not as fast as a turbo something else.

You are planning on an investment of over $20,000. I think you need to seriously consider what other options carwise are out there. If you are bent on a 5th gen-then be prepared to add up to $5000 to the bill. Good luck
Old 03-19-2004, 07:30 AM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

preludes are extremely hard to make fast on a budget... i love the cars to death thats why ive owned 4. there is a lot of work that needs to be done to the motor as stated before. in my town there are many modified preludes and many have looked into the s/c or turbo road of modification and have then looked other where for power and speed because of the price of modification. i wouldn't really consider a prelude a "race" car of any sort because of this. they look good handle awesome and are just a good over all car. if ur planning on spending about 20 grand maybe look at a smaller honda or possibly even an accord. good luck tho on ur car that you will choose

by the way jdm isnt worth it unless u are in love with the type s like i am
Old 03-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Rezza
Tell your mom I said hi!

Originally Posted by Lude Assassin
Question, how good r 5th gen preludes in terms of street/dragstrip performance? I'm in the market 4 my 1st car and I've been looking at the 5th gen prelude 4 sum time now. But I want my 1st car 2 be one that is a good street cruiser but if pushed can make an unsuspecting driver feel like they're in reverse.
P.S. I intend 2 modify my 'lude in such a way that it's comfortable 4 the streets but is powerful enough 4 occassional track days. Any ideas 4 mods? Thanks in advance.
you have good ideas, but you got the wrong car! The prelude owns the street IMO, looks, drives, handles better than all other stock honda/acuras...You can turbo your lude, add I/H/E, work on the suspension, reduce weight, and then build your engine, and on a 5G lude, that right there is like $3-4000 depending on how extreme you go. Still, at the track, beefed up civics and crx's will OWN you, because of the weight-power ratio...You get a civic hatch or CRX and invest the same money you would on the prelude and you'll have a BETTER/TRUER "race/drag" car.
BTW, if you're really considering a prelude, why not consider the 4G lude (92-96) for your base car??? Slightly lighter, and a better, less expensive base to start with IMO...
Old 03-19-2004, 10:58 AM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

if i remember from the days of preludeonline.com and honda-prelude.com most ppl agreed with the state ment that the 5g lude will run circles around a 4g untill they get into a straight line where a 4g will smoke a 5g. but i think its down to the driver mostly. plus i have only seen "really" fast preludes that were 4th gens.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:49 PM
BlackShLude

if you build a fast civic it will not be comfortable, period. if you buy a lude it will out handle and look better than a civic STOCK and be worth more. that and chicks dig preludes, well the 5th gens anyway. the 4th gen is only about a tenth of a second or two faster. i raced ludeboom and we were neck and neck up to 130mph.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Lude Assassin

Thanks 4 all the suggestions and help guys. It's really appreciated. One of the main reasons I opted 4 a lude is because there r simply 2 many civics out there, and I wanted 2 kind of bump that trend. I don't want a car that will be owned by civics and crxs. What is another good choice 4 a car that will help me on my way 2 street supremecy within the $20k bracket?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:07 PM
broncohater

there's always the integras too. it's just a matter of taste.

Quick Reply: How good r 5th gen preludes?