Notices

Timing belt vibrations (video)

Old 02-29-2004, 11:37 PM
petrv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt vibrations (video)

I probably figured out my problem with noise going form timing belt area after the timing belt change. I was not alone with this problem, more people have these problems.

I knew (and many people told this to me) that when I loose my timing belt, the noise stops, but I was worried about vibrations that the belt made when the engine was running. Today, I made some videos with my and my friend's lude to ask you about it.

Here are the vids:

---------------
Original state, with the tensioner set according to the Helms, the noise is still present:
engine running - no vibrations
belt slack with piston #1 at TDC - looks pretty tight

---------------
Loosened belt, so the noise has gone:
engine running - the noise has gone, but notice the vibrations at some engine speed. Is this ok?
belt slack with piston #1 at TDC - looks unchanged
maximum belt slack - I tried to rotate the crank and find the position with maximum slack - here it is. Looks loose.

---------------
I was really confused, so I called my friend with the same lude (H22 4G), but still with the auto tensioner, so the results should be the right ones.
engine running - the vibrations look exactly the same as mine
belt slack with piston #1 at TDC - looks same as mine.
maximum belt slack - again same as mine.

---------------
So, I hope the vibrations are OK, what do you think? Can I drive with this belt slack and vibrations? Or is this slack not normal?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:31 PM
HondaPreludeVT

that looks normal to me, i just looked at my lude and it has about the same amount of slack, and it does that wierd little vibration only after i let off the throttle. ill check out some more prleudes i know of and perhaps just some other hondas to see how all the belts react
Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 PM
SeOuLxK
Guppie

I just got my belts, rollers, water pump changed and it makes a whinning sound like an alternator... is this ok?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 PM
petrv

Originally Posted by HondaPreludeVT
that looks normal to me, i just looked at my lude and it has about the same amount of slack, and it does that wierd little vibration only after i let off the throttle. ill check out some more prleudes i know of and perhaps just some other hondas to see how all the belts react
Thank you. Can you let me know the results of the other Hondas?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:35 AM
sspire

there is a very good chance it is your timeing belt tensioner. the same thing has been happening on my friends 5th gen (Epoxy, car also for sale) for months, but it runs fine(about 60k on the belt).
Old 03-03-2004, 04:36 AM
petrv

Originally Posted by sspire
there is a very good chance it is your timeing belt tensioner. the same thing has been happening on my friends 5th gen (Epoxy, car also for sale) for months, but it runs fine(about 60k on the belt).
I have a manual tensioner, so I can adjust it by hand.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:28 PM
kchilaka

Default How much to replace the timing belt?

I have a 5th gen lude and have about 70k miles on it. I got the car when it had 30k miles on it and when I got it I remember the engine being super smooth even when revved. Now, after I have added 40k miles to it, it seems that the engine is much more noisy and trashy when revved to 7000 rpm. Apart from that when I rev the engine and let the revs fall, I hear this irritating "whirring" noise.. It suspiciously sounds like a loose timing belt.. But I have no way of confirming this..... In fact this noise has driven me to the point where I dont mind paying to get it replaced. The timing belt, the timing belt tensioner and the water pump.. I can apparently get all the parts pretty cheap online but the quote I got for labour for this job is like $500.. !!! That seems super steep.. Anyone have opinions on this? I live in the DFW area..
Old 03-06-2004, 08:33 AM
epoxy
Regulator

Originally Posted by kchilaka
I have a 5th gen lude and have about 70k miles on it. I got the car when it had 30k miles on it and when I got it I remember the engine being super smooth even when revved. Now, after I have added 40k miles to it, it seems that the engine is much more noisy and trashy when revved to 7000 rpm. Apart from that when I rev the engine and let the revs fall, I hear this irritating "whirring" noise.. It suspiciously sounds like a loose timing belt.. But I have no way of confirming this..... In fact this noise has driven me to the point where I dont mind paying to get it replaced. The timing belt, the timing belt tensioner and the water pump.. I can apparently get all the parts pretty cheap online but the quote I got for labour for this job is like $500.. !!! That seems super steep.. Anyone have opinions on this? I live in the DFW area..
500$ is actually realatively cheap.

my belt is loose, but has gotten CRAZY loose in the past few days. it's at the point where it slaps at idle, not only when the reves drop. i'm scared shitless to drive it.

can anyone link me to a place where i can find out how to mess with the tensioner? thanks. so i should get a new one too ?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
coil222

GET YOUR BELT CHECKED NOW!

99 h22a w/ 57 k miles.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:08 AM
petrv

Ohh, shit!

Quick Reply: Timing belt vibrations (video)