Notices

Largest rotors on stock wheels

Old 02-20-2004, 12:00 PM
kchilaka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest rotors on stock wheels

I have a 5th gen base 5spd Lude..
My brake rotors are warped and the local garage wants $200 to machine all 4 to spec... plus new pads.. so I thought I might as well buy 4 new rotors for that price..and while i am at it , get bigger rotors too.. i have stock 16s, whats the biggest rotors I can fit into a prelude with the stock wheels.. Also once I get these rotors do i need any extra parts to make sure the callipers fit on these rotors.. anyone advice would be appreciated..
Old 02-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Pelka
::..Prelude..::

Originally Posted by kchilaka
I have a 5th gen base 5spd Lude..
My brake rotors are warped and the local garage wants $200 to machine all 4 to spec... plus new pads.. so I thought I might as well buy 4 new rotors for that price..and while i am at it , get bigger rotors too.. i have stock 16s, whats the biggest rotors I can fit into a prelude with the stock wheels.. Also once I get these rotors do i need any extra parts to make sure the callipers fit on these rotors.. anyone advice would be appreciated..
I dunno if you can go any bigger, as many big brake kits require 17's or more.
Like AEM's Big Rotor kit...
http://www.coximport.com/store/29-625
Old 02-23-2004, 11:23 PM
monkey

i think the stoptech is the smallest clearance required bbk?

200 for machined rotors and new pads? man do it yourself and save $100...

costs $8/rotor at autozone/kragen, new pads cost anywhere from $40-100 depending on what you want.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:49 AM
joostdyk
eluded si

with bigger rotors also comes other bigger parts. you need at least 17's with bigger rotors than stock because you'll also have to get bigger calipers. all of this = lot of $. if you want new rotors, go with a stock size from power slot or brembo. brake pads also vary a lot depending upon the type you get. i'd say for all four pads, you'd be paying anywhere from $50-180. :happysad:

-styko-
Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Pelka

Originally Posted by joostdyk
with bigger rotors also comes other bigger parts. you need at least 17's with bigger rotors than stock because you'll also have to get bigger calipers. all of this = lot of $. if you want new rotors, go with a stock size from power slot or brembo. brake pads also vary a lot depending upon the type you get. i'd say for all four pads, you'd be paying anywhere from $50-180. :happysad:

-styko-
I got 4 new Brembos and 2 sets of AEM High Pro pads for $300 at Cox Import. I think thats a sweet deal. Speaking of which those are going on this afternoon.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:59 AM
monkey

the AEM's are a good OE replacement pad, but after running them for a few months, i have to say i can't tell the difference in stopping power.

they don't squeal though, and that's a good thing...

brembo's are good rotors, but rotors being wear items, i don't see the need in spending extra money on them, so i just get OE replacement rotors from kragen. though, if there was a lightweight 2 piece on the market for ludes that wasn't 453543534534 bucks, i'd buy some...
Old 02-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Pelka

Originally Posted by monkey
the AEM's are a good OE replacement pad, but after running them for a few months, i have to say i can't tell the difference in stopping power.

they don't squeal though, and that's a good thing...

brembo's are good rotors, but rotors being wear items, i don't see the need in spending extra money on them, so i just get OE replacement rotors from kragen. though, if there was a lightweight 2 piece on the market for ludes that wasn't 453543534534 bucks, i'd buy some...
Yeah, ill be the judge my brembos are sweet, they were only $40-50 each.
Since this thread is about brakes, i dont feel like opening another thread anyone know the torque setting on the lug nuts? I forgot them i asked a while ago.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:39 PM
joostdyk
eluded si

damn, that is a sweet deal. i paid $300 for all new power slot rotors and another $150 for ebc green stuff brake pads. although i don't know how good aem pads are, that's a nice find :goodjob:
Old 02-24-2004, 01:46 PM
monkey

Originally Posted by Pelka
i dont feel like opening another thread anyone know the torque setting on the lug nuts? I forgot them i asked a while ago.
80 ft-lbs
Old 02-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Pelka

Originally Posted by joostdyk
damn, that is a sweet deal. i paid $300 for all new power slot rotors and another $150 for ebc green stuff brake pads. although i don't know how good aem pads are, that's a nice find :goodjob:
Just installed the AEM's and Brembos today... love them already, gotta wait till they break in tho. Nissin makes the pads AEM just throws their logo on the box.

Quick Reply: Largest rotors on stock wheels