Notices

5th gen Lude Short Shifter

Old 02-03-2004, 01:58 PM
01Lude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen Lude Short Shifter

Can someone please help me. i have been looking for short shifter lever (Not an adapter) for ever if anyone know where i can get let me know Thanks
Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 PM
monkey

Originally Posted by 01Lude
Can someone please help me. i have been looking for short shifter lever (Not an adapter) for ever if anyone know where i can get let me know Thanks
there is none.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:49 PM
LudeBehavior

what year is your lude? The reason you can probably only find adapters is that certain years of preludes are cable shifted instead of having a full on shifter that plugs right into a gearbox. If it is cable shifted then the only thing you will be able to find is an adapter. I'm pretty sure that's right. If I'm mistaken, will someone set me straight? I had an adapter on my 93 that worked well. I don't think there is anything wrong with adapters as long as you get a good one and install it right
Old 02-03-2004, 09:02 PM
monkey

Originally Posted by LudeBehavior
what year is your lude? The reason you can probably only find adapters is that certain years of preludes are cable shifted instead of having a full on shifter that plugs right into a gearbox. If it is cable shifted then the only thing you will be able to find is an adapter. I'm pretty sure that's right. If I'm mistaken, will someone set me straight? I had an adapter on my 93 that worked well. I don't think there is anything wrong with adapters as long as you get a good one and install it right
i know 4th and 5th gen ludes are cable shifted. there is a full on shifter though for a 4th gen, something that replaces the OE shifter. for the 5th gen nothing has been made yet. it's adapters or bust, unfortunately.

i'm using an adapter and it's got it's good points and bad points. not worth more than $20 though, imo.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 PM
4bidden

The 5gen shift assembly is more complicated than the 4gen because the lever cannot come out of the base unit and go back in because its basically molded in.

There is a true short shifter for 4gens....and what do ya know! I make it!

www.forbiddenmotorsports.com
Old 02-03-2004, 09:57 PM
LudeBehavior

Hey 4bidden,

I heard those shifters you make are pretty good too. I wish I'd known about them when I still had my lude. Peace
Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
xkynet

I have a 4th generation Prelude. The shift adapter sucks (DC Sport). If you shift to 1st, 3rd, or 5th, it pushes up against the shift console (mostly 3rd gear). I shifted fast/hard a couple of times and it broke my shift console. I had to get another used one for 20 bucks. Plus, the shift adapters for the Preludes and Accords does not shorten the shifts as much as the Civics and Integras short shifters (the stick one). I want mines shorther. 4bidden, does your short shifters shorten the shifts aLOT?? or is it just like another short shift adapter?? and why are they so expensive?
Old 02-04-2004, 05:09 PM
4bidden

If you want the shortest possible shift you'll have to trim the underside "ring" on the edge of the shiftboot because like you said, the cable will hit it when going into the up gears. Its simple just to grind/melt/file off a little and you will not have problems.

It is not an adaptor, its a full lever. I think they are priced just right. Its not expensive at all when you figure a Civic/Integra one goes for $120ish and it is a lot less material and less complicated design.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:15 PM
xkynet

I was thinking about trimming the edge of the shiftboot like you said, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot 4bidden. I'll probably end up getting one from you anyway.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:33 AM
01Lude

Thank for the info everyone. I have an adapter and it sucks but i guess i just have to deal