Notices
Other Honda & Acura News Automotive news from around the globe.

1994 Honda Civic CX - Race-Bred

Old 07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1994 Honda Civic CX - Race-Bred

1994 Honda Civic CX - Race-Bred

Check out this 1994 Honda Civic CX, fully equipped with Hondata K-Pro, Kraftwerks Rotrex supercharger and much more!Driving impression
I was given the opportunity to take the Civic on a controlled sprint around the block, close to the shop. It was early morning, my senses dulled from a lack of sleep and the absence of caffeine. I made my way into the shop where I was greeted by the angriest mug I'd ever seen on a Civic. Before I could get on the road, my first challenge was climbing into the Recaro bucket seat. With helmet supports on both sides, and a deep cradle, I somehow managed to squeeze myself past the seat's protrusions and eventually slid in. Slightly frayed from consistent usage, I grabbed a bright green Takata harness strap in each hand and locked them into their designated chambers. My left leg, feeling quite a bit of resistance, firmly floored the clutch pedal as my right hand fired up the K series motor. Harsh race mounts combined with a 3-inch exhaust worked like a triple Espresso, jarring me out of my morning sleepwalk. My next obstacle was to carefully make my way out of the parking lot. Not wanting to inflict any unnecessary scars to the Civic, I cut the driveway sideways and slowly inched onto the street. The lightweight flywheel and lightened assembly made the 2.4L bark with authority at the slightest blip of the throttle. Once on the road, the RPM stayed below 3,000 in order to get the car up to operating temperature. However, even while babying the throttle, the power was apparent. As the temperature began to rise, my right foot began to smother the gas pedal. I'm convinced that first gear is just used to pull this car out of the garage, because anymore than 20% throttle and it's a distant memory in the blink of an eye. As I eased into second gear, the torque produced by the Rotrex supercharger mated to the 2.4L block was awe inspiring and scary at the same time. The gurgle from the exhaust and the snap of the dash as I was rocketed forward served as a reminder that this wasn't a dream, it was reality, and third gear was just begging for me to welcome him to the party. Popping the shifter into third with partial throttle crushed every bad thought I've ever conjured up about supercharged Hondas. Gone was the waiting period that accompanied most N/A setups in reaching their sweet spot. Farewell to turbo lag and the rush of power that comes and sweeps you off your feet when it feels like it. The supercharger made gobs of power from the very bottom to the very top, and I was reaching stupid speeds (for a public road) almost immediately, and decided to let off. With my eyes a little watery from essentially being shot out of a canon, I thought I'd hit a few turns before bringing the beast back to its cage. The suspension, sporting custom 22k front and 14k rear spring rates offered a ride almost as cushy as a wooden wagon on the Oregon Trail in the 1840s. However, the stiff rates offered a fistful of confidence as I tossed it into a few short, tight turns. With virtually no body roll, the car seemed to lay completely flat all the way through the turn, almost pestering me to push it harder. Deciding to quit while I was ahead, I ignored the little devil on my shoulder, and headed back to base.

Photo Gallery: 1994 Honda Civic CX - Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge - Honda Tuning Magazine

Photo Gallery: 1994 Honda Civic CX - Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge - Honda Tuning Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...