Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2005 Cadillac Seville STS

Old 10-04-2003, 04:10 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cadillac STS

2005 Cadillac STS
PHOTOGRAPHY BY BRENDA PRIDDY & COMPANY
September 2003

Although still draped in camouflage, the upcoming 2005 Seville replacement, the STS, was undergoing some testing when our spy photographer nabbed this shot. Continuing Cadillac's 'Art & Science' design theme, the STS wears similar lines and features to the CTS, SRX, and XLR.

Testing under the codename S6S, the rear-wheel-drive, Sigma-based STS will be powered by a massaged 4.2-liter Northstar V-8 engine, and will come with Magnetic Ride Control.

The STS is expected by mid 2004 as a 2005 model.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7230

I'm mildly confused by Cadillac's lineup but I guess it makes sense if you keep in mind they're still trying to be American where bigger is of course better.

The CTS while competing with the 3-Series, C-Class, etc is the same size as the 5-series and E-Class. (The G35 does this to a lesser degree, it's about halfway between the 3/5 or C/E.)

The current Seville is halfway between the short- and long-wheelbase versions of the 7-Series and S-Class (we only get the long-wheelbase S here). Now, if the new STS is supposed to go up against the 5-Series and E-Class in price but be bigger, is it going to be the size of a 745i or 745Li? Hmm. I guess we'll have to find out in 6 months.

Oh and I have to say, I really like the direction Caddy is headed in. They're very quickly establishing a brand identity. The CTS takes some getting used to, but the XLR is freakin sweet and the SRX is pretty not bad. With the CTS, STS, XLR, SRX and Escalade they've got a pretty solid lineup. I wonder how long the Escalade name is going to last though.

Anyway that's my rambling about Cadillac. Goes to show ya that not everybody at GM is completely retarded.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:15 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2005 Cadillac STS

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
I'm mildly confused by Cadillac's lineup but I guess it makes sense if you keep in mind they're still trying to be American where bigger is of course better.

The CTS while competing with the 3-Series, C-Class, etc is the same size as the 5-series and E-Class. (The G35 does this to a lesser degree, it's about halfway between the 3/5 or C/E.)

The current Seville is halfway between the short- and long-wheelbase versions of the 7-Series and S-Class (we only get the long-wheelbase S here). Now, if the new STS is supposed to go up against the 5-Series and E-Class in price but be bigger, is it going to be the size of a 745i or 745Li? Hmm. I guess we'll have to find out in 6 months.

Oh and I have to say, I really like the direction Caddy is headed in. They're very quickly establishing a brand identity. The CTS takes some getting used to, but the XLR is freakin sweet and the SRX is pretty not bad. With the CTS, STS, XLR, SRX and Escalade they've got a pretty solid lineup. I wonder how long the Escalade name is going to last though.

Anyway that's my rambling about Cadillac. Goes to show ya that not everybody at GM is completely retarded.
Very good post, Mike :thumbup: Caddy is establishing brand identity the same way Acura is...building from the bottom up with alphaneumeric names that suck and a common family resemblance. The Escalade will probably be _RX, as _TS seems to imply a sporting/luxury sedan and _LR is a performance coupe. I guess. Kinda like Acura. _L=_RSX, _DX=_RX, _SX=_LR.

But anyway, Caddy has a very bright future. The new STS looks very promising :thumbup:
Old 10-05-2003, 12:06 AM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

The STS does look good (what of it you can see). I think the CTS was the starting point, and that all the following models will work out it's kinks (like that weird C-pillar base). The XLR already shows this.

Apparently, Cadillac will have model ranges.

C will be the smallest (CTS)
S will be the medium (STS, SRX)
X will be the top (XLR, supposed V12 or V16 XTS)

I'm assuming the Escalade line would keep the E, for being truck based.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:46 AM
Tirod

road and track computer enhanced version...

"The next major recipient of Cadillac's Art & Science design theme is the Seville STS/SLS line, which will be known simply as the STS. The edgier look isn't quite as extreme as the CTS — the corners are a bit softer and there's more sculpting to the body sides and C-pillar treatment. Still, the proportions will have a long hood and short rear deck. Look for an entry-level model with a 3.6-liter V-6 making about 245 to 250 bhp, while the 4.6-liter V-8 Northstar receives a bump from 300 to 320 bhp. The new car, like the CTS, is based on the rear-drive Sigma platform, although an all-wheel-drive version may come a year or two after its 2005 launch."
Old 10-05-2003, 07:55 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Yes, I do agree Cadillac has a very bright future. I drove a manual CTS a little while ago, and I was very impressed. The lineup Cadillac is bringing out is definitely the best lineup they've ever had. I think Caddy can use the old Oldsmobile advertising in a new twist: "This is not.... your grandpa's Cadillac. This is the new generation of Cads!" But seriously, that CTS did handle like a touring sedan should. My only gripe was that the steering was a little too soft for my taste, but that's about it. The XLR is sharp. Very sharp. Man, I'm just happy to have positive thoughts about GM. This is what I've been praying for. Now, if they can only do this for Chevy, Ponitac, and Buick.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:49 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

More:

Old 10-05-2003, 03:50 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6

Night vision option.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Adröck
www.adamepp.com

it's kinda funny that this top-end Caddy is shown testing it's towing capacity...in the top pic and this one:
Old 10-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Tirod

:werd: hahaha.. welcome to america
Old 11-22-2003, 09:12 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Default 2005 Cadillac STS

Very impressive :thumbup: