Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Gas-electric Civic fails to get promised mileage

Old 06-21-2002, 04:38 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas-electric Civic fails to get promised mileage

BY LAWRENCE ULRICH
DETROIT FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

Brilliant technology. Not-so-brilliant gas mileage.

That was my experience with the Honda Civic hybrid. I truly wanted to love this Honda, a so-called hybrid whose front wheels are driven by a powerful electric motor and a small gasoline engine. We've seen similar technology in Honda's own Insight and the Toyota Prius sedan.

All are designed to green the land and ease our guilty, gas-guzzling consciences.

But where previous alternative fuel cars looked like science fair projects, the newest Civic sedan is the first hybrid based on a model already known and loved by millions. For the most part, the Honda hybrid looks and drives like an everyday Civic, the best-selling compact in America. Nearly 332,000 were sold last year, and Honda hopes 24,000 Civics sold this year will be the hybrid version.

But nothing disappoints like a car that doesn't perform as advertised. From the bottom of the tank, the bottom line: I managed only 37 miles per gallon in a week of driving this hybrid. That's not even close to the EPA rating and manufacturer's claim of 48 m.p.g. city and 47 highway, equipped with the continuously variable automatic transmission.

That's still excellent mileage, of course. Honda says other test drivers have indeed achieved 45 to 50 m.p.g., though it acknowledged my below-40 m.p.g. experience is not unique.

As with other efficient cars, it feels good to drive the Civic for hours and miles and watch the gas gauge needle barely dip. Even at my consumption, the Civic's 13.2-gallon tank gives it a range of nearly 500 miles, with Honda claiming it's 650 miles. Hey, conservation is a good thing, especially in brutal winter weather when you're sailing past gas stations instead of shivering at the pump.

But the Civic's mileage and technology come at a steep price: about $21,000 with the automatic or $20,000 with a five-speed manual, which changes the fuel rating to 46 m.p.g. city and 51 m.p.g. highway.

For me, that $21,000 tag pushes the upper limits for a Civic, or any economy sedan. It's also $6,000 more than the gas-engined Civic HX coupe I tested last June. That car, by the way, delivered 34 m.p.g. in some fairly hard driving, only 3 m.p.g. less than what I managed in the hybrid. Compared to a Civic LX sedan, the hybrid will set you back an extra $4,600.

Let's note that buying a Civic hybrid wins you points, and money, from Uncle Sam. The IRS has confirmed the Civic hybrid is eligible for a $2,000 federal tax deduction in 2002, with that credit dropping 25 percent each year thereafter until it disappears in 2006.

Honda also emphasizes that the hybrid is the top-of-the-line Civic. It comes with several standard features the HX lacked, including antilock brakes, side air bags, a CD player, more upscale seat fabrics and interior trim. The instrument cluster's gauges glow with a high-tech, ice-blue sheen.

But while Honda throws in some nice goodies, most of the additional cost is still found under the hood, where a 10-kilowatt electric motor is sandwiched between the 1.3-liter engine and front-drive transmission. It's also behind the back seat, where a Panasonic battery pack, cooling system and sophisticated electronics converge.

After debuting the Integrated Motor Assist system on the two-seat Insight, Honda has has reduced its volume nearly 40 percent. That made it small enough to squeeze the battery and electronics behind the Civic's backseat, where it robs only about three cubic feet of trunk space, still leaving 10.1 cubic feet for cargo.

The battery never needs to be plugged in. It's always being charged by the electric motor, which becomes a generator during braking or when the car is coasting and decelerating. The already economical, 1.3-liter, four-cylinder gas engine produces 85 horsepower and 87 foot-pounds of torque.

The DC electric motor comes on only when you need it, such as from a standing start or under hard acceleration. It boosts the engine with the equivalent of 13 horsepower for a peak total of 93 horsepower.

That might sound underwhelming, when a typical Civic LX sedan manages 115 horsepower and 110 foot-pounds of torque with its larger 1.7-liter engine.

Troubling torque
But hold those horses: What's great about any electric motor is that its torque, the power that gets you moving, is instantly available. The Honda's electric motor peaks at a extremely low 1,000 r.p.m. Those slow-running speeds are exactly where a small gas engine has trouble making useful power, which is why an electric motor and gas engine are so well-suited to working in tandem.

Conversely, when you're tooling along at 70 m.p.h. in the engine's sweet spot, the electric motor doesn't have to work at all.

The electric motor produces a healthy 46 foot-pounds of torque with the manual transmission, 36 with automatic. So the hybrid's total torque of 116 foot-pounds actually tops the 110 in the gas-powered LX. More importantly, the hybrid power train reaches peak torque at just 1,500 r.p.m., compared to 4,500 r.p.m. for the LX.

Despite the helping hand from the 144-volt DC motor, acceleration is leisurely. The Civic hybrid roughly holds its own with the standard gasoline versions, running from 0-60 m.p.h. in about 12 seconds versus 11 seconds in an LX sedan With its low-end advantage, the hybrid actually tops gasoline Civics in the 0-30 m.p.h. run. The hybrid cruises fine at freeway speeds, and its quiet, unobtrusive operation is certainly part of the appeal.

Roll to a stop, and the engine automatically shuts off, as long as the car's up to operating temperature or you're not cranking the air conditioning. That Idle Stop feature saves even more gas, allowing the hybrid to get roughly the same mileage in city or highway driving. Lift off the brake, and the engine restarts so smoothly you barely hear it.

Skinny 14-inch tires mean less rolling resistance, another boon to fuel economy.

The hybrid has all the virtues of the redesigned Civic that arrived in 2001: a taller roof and a roomier back seat and trunk. The revised suspension that jettisoned the front double-wishbone layout for a more traditional strut set-up.

Rear legroom is up two inches over the previous Civic, though it still trails the class-leading Ford Focus by 4.5 inches. The flat floor in the rear makes it easier to squeeze three into the back, at least for modest distances.

Sharp-eyed Civic fans will note the mild exterior tweaks, including some that improve the wind-cheating shape. The front bumper looks more aerodynamic and alluring than the typical Civic, as do the multi-element taillights. There's also a trunk spoiler, body-color door mirrors, roof antenna and alloy wheels.

Trouble-free driving
The hybrid adds slightly firmer springs and shocks, a larger front anti-roll bar and larger rear drum brakes. But I was hard-pressed to notice big ride-and-handling changes. Like any Civic, it's smoothly benign, a trusty, hassle-free appliance. Start it, drive it, forget about it.

And that could be the hybrid's most notable achievement: Many people would never suspect there's a small-scale electric power plant humming away inside. Clearly, Honda's goal was to make the hybrid a car for anyone who wants a solid sedan with great gas mileage, not just the tech-heads and enviro-conscious crowd who embraced previous alternative-fuel cars.

With that in mind, I showed off the hybrid to my friend Melody Sellers. She's part of a loyal Civic family, along with her husband, jazz pianist extraordinaire Mick Dobday. Sellers drives a '97 base model Civic. Dobday finally gave up his '89 Civic that served him for more than 250,000 miles.

I figured she'd go bananas over the hybrid, but instead she slipped on the price and so-so mileage. Noting she had paid about $12,000 for her Civic, she decided the hybrid was a car for people with cash to burn. "Or people who can't do math," she huffed.

For all Honda's brilliance, that 37 m.p.g. kept coming back to me. If my fuel economy had really grown to 45 or 50 m.p.g. in the Civic, my estimation would have climbed with it. It just didn't happen. I'd still choose a standard Civic, save big bucks, and live with slightly lower mileage.

So it's two stars, one for the seamless technology, one for Honda's determination to drive the market for alternative fuel cars. And if you're civic-minded enough to pay the premium and own this car, consider an extra star pasted on your forehead.

Engine:

1.3-liter four-cylinder, 85 horsepower, plus 10 kilowatt high-torque electric motor
EPA fuel economy (CVT transmission):
48 m.p.g. city
47 m.p.g. highway
Curb weight:
2,732 pounds
Wheelbase:
103.1 inches
Length:
174.8 inches
Width:
67.5 inches
Height:
56.3 inches
Where assembled:
Suzuka, Japan
Rating: 2 STARS (out of four)

The first alternative-fuel car with appeal beyond science geeks and granola girls.

Bragging points: Thrifty on fuel. Transparent operation of gasoline-electric drive system. Solid construction. Roomy interior. More stylish face and interior than standard Civics.

Nagging points: Observed gas mileage far less than advertised. Steep premium for hybrid power technology. Utilitarian style and feel.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:59 AM
yianni64

That sucks, hope other reviews dont turn out like this
Old 06-21-2002, 10:38 AM
Troopa-R

Well... maybe the guy just had serious lead foot, cuz I know I've read reviews where they got mid to high-40s in the CIvic Hybrid.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:52 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by Eternal RSXness
Well... maybe the guy just had serious lead foot, cuz I know I've read reviews where they got mid to high-40s in the CIvic Hybrid.
Thats what i dont understand, even if he did have a lead foot, dont the eletric motors do the most work when accelarating? Whatever, Ill wait til a real mag reviews it.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:57 PM
s2ktonv

that dude is on crack or something...its just one reviewh:
Old 06-21-2002, 04:15 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're called "Haters"
Old 06-21-2002, 04:29 PM
yianni64

DETROIT FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

Hmmm, wonder if that means anything
Old 06-21-2002, 06:34 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Want to save fuel? Ride a bicycle!
Old 06-21-2002, 08:29 PM
ldfrgirl
.sexah momma.

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES
They're called "Haters"
hahaha for real...I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about em yet. saw the first one the other day on the road. All I can say is it looked niiice.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Troopa-R

I like the taillights on the Hybrid, for sure. And the instrument panel, with the cool blue lighting... seriously. Honda needs to do this withall its' cars. Hell, can I change the red lights in my RSX to this? :thumbup:

And I've seen a lot of the Hybrids around. They're all over (well not "all over", but a lot) around Berkeley and Davis.

Quick Reply: Gas-electric Civic fails to get promised mileage