Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

No Honda V8 or RWD, unless...

Old 06-21-2002, 06:13 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fastball
NSX 290hp V-6 show up in the CL for $35,000...... we can dream, can't we?
Not unless the CL is MR, no.

integboi, I agree...for much cheaper Honda can build an AWD RL with 300 HP and 30-35 MPG
Old 06-21-2002, 06:32 PM
yianni64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES

Not unless the CL is MR, no.

integboi, I agree...for much cheaper Honda can build an AWD RL with 300 HP and 30-35 MPG
Well, the engine is tranversly mounted anyways, so who knows. But really, they can make a J32(35?) (or K32?) for less money and more power anyways.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:40 AM
95AccordV6

Default QQ

V8 is necessary for a luxury car company to consolidate it's "higher class, higher performance" image. People wouldn't think that 3.5RL is the same level as LS430 or 540i because all RL is using is a 3.5L V6 engine, no matter how well this V6 is, it's still a six cylinder engine, not much different from the one using in TL or Accord(at least most people would think that).

People who buy super luxury car wouldn't consider fuel economy as much as the ones who buy Civic. Sure, emission is very important to our environment, but there wouldn't be many $60,000+ luxury sedans on the road anyways, unlike Accord and Civic, a 4.0RL wouldn't hurt our environment that much right?

As far as profit, why the heck Mercedes Benz and BMW and Lexus make V-8 powered sedans if there is no profit? If Honda wants people to recognize Acura or admit that Acura is as good as Lexus, they have to push their models to a higher level. Quietness and comfort and reliability are the basics a luxury car company should provide, and now people are asking for bonus and image - V8 and RWD/AWD, 6 speed automatic transimission, air-suspension, stuff like that. If Acura can make cars that has some of the above-mentioned items(so far none of them exists on any of Honda/Acura brand sedans), they would eventually make enough profits. Plus, they could use the same or slightly modified version of the sedan-used V8 onto it's next generation NSX sport car. Don't tell me a natural aspirated V6 engine would justify a $80,000 plus price anymore.

I don't know much about pickup-truck market, but I know evey year Ford sells its F150 almost twice the sales of Honda Accord. And if the development of pickup truck could promote the development of V-8 engine, why not? hehe just my idea.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:47 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Default Re: QQ

Originally posted by 95AccordV6

As far as profit, why the heck Mercedes Benz and BMW and Lexus make V-8 powered sedans if there is no profit? If Honda wants people to recognize Acura or admit that Acura is as good as Lexus, they have to push their models to a higher level.
Im not replying to your whole post, it kinda gave me a headache and you ran in circles a couples times. Anyway, MB uses its V8 (as does Toyota) in more than one application. The NSX cannot be considered an app since it is such small market. They would never make a profit off of investing hundreds of millions into a V8 unless they had 3-5 major apps for it for 5-10 years. Someone get sales numbers of the RL, LS, and Q...I believe the RL holds its ground. Believe me, 95...Honda will have so many bragging rights with an IMA powertrain with AWD, they would easily top sagging Q sales and journalists would love it. There is absolutely no need for a V8.

You have a point with bragging rights, but if Honda pulls a Passport-->Pilot or 1st gen-->2nd gen Odyssey with the RL inside, noone will give a damn. Trust me
Old 06-22-2002, 12:49 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Default Re: QQ

Originally posted by 95AccordV6

I don't know much about pickup-truck market, but I know evey year Ford sells its F150 almost twice the sales of Honda Accord. And if the development of pickup truck could promote the development of V-8 engine, why not? hehe just my idea.
Toyota trucks are far better than the F-150 and they only sell maybe 100k a year, I dont even think it's that high. Why? Southern, redneck Americans who think all Toyotas and Hondas are sacreligous and Jap crap. That's pretty simple to understand. Getting into the truck market would take YEARS of clawing...and NA is the only app for a pickup.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:31 PM
yianni64

Default Re: Re: QQ

Toyota trucks are far better than the F-150 and they only sell maybe 100k a year, I dont even think it's that high. Why? Southern, redneck Americans who think all Toyotas and Hondas are sacreligous and Jap crap. That's pretty simple to understand. Getting into the truck market would take YEARS of clawing...and NA is the only app for a pickup.

The truck market is dominated by simple minded people who wouldnt buy anyhting than a chevy or ford, maybe dodge.

I have a feeling Honda will make a V8, just not right now.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:26 PM
95AccordV6

Default Re: Re: QQ

Believe me, 95...Honda will have so many bragging rights with an IMA powertrain with AWD, they would easily top sagging Q sales and journalists would love it. There is absolutely no need for a V8.

Yeah I agree with you that IMA sounds like a very good system and probably many professional journalists would like it as well as understand it, but to most of us, some normal people who don't understand car that much, do we care how high tech it is? Today the only electric-motor plus gas engine vehicles on road are only Prius and Civic hybrid and insight, and all of them are relatively more economical.
I believe that this IMA thing would be successful if it's in $30,000 range or lower, but Acura is trying to put it in the flagship car. However, I have to agree that Honda is good in leading trend, may be 10 years later all the luxury sedans have IMA system instead of the traditional gas engine, who knows?
Old 06-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Jeff TYPE R
Crazy AE86 dude.

Originally posted by vtecaccord01
All I really want to know is why honda never wanted to create and all wheel drive, turbo v4 or v6 vehicle. I know they don't want to make a v8 but damn, if they had something that could compete with a GSX or get close to a supra, think of what you could do when aftermarket parts come out.
Try not to be so critical when you don't knoww what you're talking about.

-Honda has made turboed cars in the past
-They can make good AWD systems
-V4 engines are almost nonexistant
-The NSX blows the GSX and Supra out the water in every way
Old 06-22-2002, 06:31 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

And Honda doesn't NEED turbos, a la S2000.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:28 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
Try not to be so critical when you don't knoww what you're talking about.

-Honda has made turboed cars in the past
-They can make good AWD systems
-V4 engines are almost nonexistant
-The NSX blows the GSX and Supra out the water in every way
while your at it, supra isnt V6 or awd.

Quick Reply: No Honda V8 or RWD, unless...