Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2008 Scion lineup breaks cover: All-new xB, xD, facelift for tC.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Scion lineup breaks cover: All-new xB, xD, facelift for tC.

[ Source:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/08/2008-scion-xb/
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/08/2008-scion-xd/
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/08/2008-scion-tc/
NOTE: Click on the links for the respective galleries.]

2008 Scion xB announced

Toyota used the Chicago Auto Show today to launch the 2008 Scion xB. The xB was first introduced in early 2003 for the 2004 model year and its boxy shape became iconic to the Scion brand. "We've stated in the past that we'll probably always have a box in the Scion lineup, but our owners told us they wanted a bigger box," said Mark Templin, Scion vice president. "They talk, we listen and we responded with a bigger and better xB."

More powerful than its predecessor, the all-new xB is equipped with a 2.4 L dual overhead-cam four-cylinder engine with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), the same engine found on the tC. The engine produces 158 horsepower, 55 more than the previous generation. Customers will have a choice of either a five-speed manual transmission or a four-speed automatic with sequential shifting, a first for automatic four-speeds in the Scion or Toyota line-up.

The xB's standard 160-watt maximum output Pioneer audio system features iPod connectivity and a mini-jack port. This standard head unit integrates track, artist and album information from the iPod into a one-line display on the head unit's screen. Connectivity is achieved by simply plugging the iPod into a port via a connector cable, providing outstanding sound quality through the car's stereo system and constant power to the iPod.

The xB also receives 16-inch steel wheels, an inch larger than the previous generation. Customers will be able to choose from three all-new standard wheel covers which, will also be shared with the all-new xD. The xB also stops with larger brakes thanks to the 10.83-inch ventilated discs in the front and 10.98-inch disc brakes in the rear which are more than two inches bigger than the previous generation.

Like all Scion vehicles, the xB is mono spec. Customers only need to choose exterior color and transmission type. The xB comes with generous and upscale standard features including power steering, windows, door locks and mirrors; remote keyless entry; air conditioning; four-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA); driver and front passenger dual stage airbags; front seat-mounted side airbags; front and rear side curtain airbags; Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC); first-aid kit; and tilt steering wheel with audio controls. All Scion models come with complimentary factory-recommended maintenance services at the first 5,000 mile and 10,000 mile intervals, to be performed by an authorized Scion or Toyota dealership.

The exterior color palette for the new xB includes Super White, Classic Silver Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, Nautical Blue Metallic, Blackberry Crush Metallic and Hypnotic Teal Mica. All xBs will feature high-quality dark charcoal interior fabric.
[spoiler="08 xB"][/spoiler]

-----

2008 Scion xD revealed

Toyota today revealed the 2008 Scion xD at the 2007 Chicago Auto Show. "The xD is a clever new take on the five-door urban subcompact, with style and flair to match its efficiency and utility," said Mark Templin, Scion vice president. "The xD's aggressive styling is wrapped in a small, agile package, while its interior offers impressive details and a spacious cabin."

The xD is powered by the lively 1.8 L four-cylinder engine with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) that puts out 128 horsepower. Customers have the choice of a five-speed manual transmission or a four-speed automatic transmission. This 2ZR-FE engine features a roller rocker system and light weight piston for better fuel economy and a piston cooling oil jet for better efficiency. The xD sits on 16-inch steel wheels and 195/60 R16 tires.

The xD features front bucket seats and 60/40 fold flat rear seats for a level cargo space. The rear seats were designed for comfort and utility as they can slide forward and back up to six inches for additional leg room and cargo area. In addition, they can recline ten degrees and be adjusted into five different positions.

The xD comes mono spec like all Scion vehicles. Customers need to choose exterior color and transmission type, while the only factory option is Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC). The xD comes with many standard features including power steering, windows, door locks and mirrors; remote keyless entry; air conditioning; four-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA); driver and front passenger dual stage airbags; front seat-mounted side airbags; front and rear side curtain airbags; first-aid kit; a tire pressure monitor system and tilt steering wheel with audio controls.

The xD will have high-quality dark charcoal interior fabric and will be available in six exterior colors, Super White, Silver Streak Mica, Black Sand Pearl, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Barcelona Red Metallic and Nautical Blue Metallic.
[spoiler="08 xD"][/spoiler]

-----

2008 Scion tC unveiled

Toyota today announced a number of enhancements to the Scion tC for the 2008 model year. The 2008 tC is distinguished by the new Scion family front fascia, including a new upper mesh grille, lattice lower grille and projector-type low beam headlights with black trim.

The tC also receives new rear tail lights similar in style to the headlights with round combination lamps. Inside, the tC receives a deep orange combination meter on the instrument panel, silver-colored accents on the door assist grips and center cluster, updated seat fabric and Pioneer subwoofer.

Azure Pearl and Black Cherry Pearl exterior colors were replaced with Sizzling Crimson Mica and Wave Line Pearl.

Apple iPod connectivity is standard across the Scion lineup for 2008. Scion's standard 160-watt maximum output Pioneer AM/FM/CD audio system features a head unit with iPod control. This head unit integrates track, artist and album information from the iPod into a one-line display on the head unit's screen. Connectivity is achieved by simply plugging the iPod into a port via a connector cable, providing outstanding sound quality through the car's stereo system and constant power to the iPod. Music is controlled through the head unit and steering wheel audio controls. A standard mini-jack port also allows users to listen to their portable music collection through the tC's Pioneer speakers.

The tC is powered by a 2.4-liter double overhead-cam four cylinder engine with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i). This CARB-certified Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) produces 161 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 162-lb.ft. of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. The tC features a five-speed manual transmission or an available electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission.

Standard features include the panorama glass power moonroof (a first in this segment), air conditioning, cruise control, exterior mirrors with integrated turn signal lights, power door locks and mirrors, rear cargo tonneau cover, auto up/down power windows with jam protection, in-key remote keyless entry, rolling-code engine immobilizer security system, auto-off headlamps, electronic hatch release, chrome-plated exhaust tip and a unique audio unit cover.

Cliffs:
* xA name dies with this generation, to be replaced by xD; xB name survives.
* All-new xB and xD share an all new platform.
* The 1.6 liter four is retired; 08 xB shares 2.4L four with tC; 08 xD receives 1.8L four from Corolla.
* 08 tC sees minor exterior / interior facelift, some optional equipment now comes standard.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 02-08-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

while still feature intensive, the xD has just caused the loss of my vision h:

Last edited by Samson; 02-08-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
lexusis350

The xD has a better looking front end, but the whole body isn't attractive. The xB looks smaller. But glad both have more powerful engines. The tC looks better besides the real tail lights.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:29 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Samson
while still feature intensive, the xD has just caused the loss of my vision h:
:chuckles: That's unfortunate.

I never though I'd be saying this... but with the new design and more displacement, I'm almost fond of the new xB. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Acura_Crazed

Swear I just saw a Tiburon in that tC with a quick glance..
Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Acura_Crazed
Swear I just saw a Tiburon in that tC with a quick glance..
That's what I get for being lazy and hotlinking. h:
I've removed the image.

If you're dying to find out what the refresh looks like, click on the headline for the tC article.
Prepared to be unimpressed. :run:

Old 02-09-2007, 04:35 AM
fjm1
G35

Xd reminds me of Mazda3
Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 AM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

I hope that Toyota offers better automatics with the new Scion models in the near future. A five-speed or CVT automatic would make the cars far more desirable.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 PM
lexusis350

yea, 4 speed manual matic? WEAK! I think it needs a 6 speed auto to compete.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally Posted by lexusis350
yea, 4 speed manual matic? WEAK! I think it needs a 6 speed auto to compete.
6 speed auto to compete with what?