Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2006 Lincoln Zephyr

Old 04-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Adröck
www.adamepp.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That second group of pictures makes it look WAY taller and narrower than the first group?!? Anyone else see this?

I'd imagine it to be like the lower and wider, since the Mazda 6 has a nice profile.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:46 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

they better supercharge or turbo it as the mazda's current 3.0 220hp engine that will be shared with it too will not be able to compete with the much stronger and better tuned TL and G35
Old 04-08-2004, 01:42 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Ya ya, it's only got 220 hp.

Like I already mentioned, I think this is mainly going to be a car that attracts folks who would like to buy American if only a suitable product came along. The Cadillac CTS and Chrysler 300C are other examples.

Oh, and Audi manages to sell plenty of A4s even though they only have 220 hp. This would be a nice alternative which provides reasonable acceleration, awd, luxo features, and imho it looks really good.

The only thing I have against it is the dash is shaped kind of funky, but the quality of the materials looks really good. I don't think the interior will make it to production as-is, but if materials quality can be kept at the level of the Navigator and Aviator that'd be more than sufficient for the class.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by Adröck
That second group of pictures makes it look WAY taller and narrower than the first group?!? Anyone else see this?

I'd imagine it to be like the lower and wider, since the Mazda 6 has a nice profile.
I agree with you fully. The pics all over the internet now (i.e. the one with the ship in the background) make it look good... but if it's actually taller and narrower, bleh.

The exterior is very nice. The interior esp. steering wheel says
I'M AN OLD MAN WANNABE WHO LIKES 200 HP LINCOLNS!!! :lmfao:
Old 04-08-2004, 05:47 PM
rb6teg

It's starting to become very obvious that Ford took the old VW/Audi designers....I like it :thumbup:
Old 04-08-2004, 07:03 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

ford said it is directly aiming at the TL and G35 customer who are more likely to compare performance of the vehicle instead of the mid size sedan buyer...if the zephyr is going to be laden down with more expensive and heavier options as a luxury car then it will be slower and less nimble than the car it is copying (6)

i do agree with mike that i think it is an attractive looking car but like past failures to lure people from other brands with the lincoln ls and the jag x type the zephyr will only sell to those who only buy fords anyway
Old 04-08-2004, 07:05 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by jaje
ford said it is directly aiming at the TL and G35 customer who are more likely to compare performance of the vehicle instead of the mid size sedan buyer...if the zephyr is going to be laden down with more expensive and heavier options as a luxury car then it will be slower and less nimble than the car it is copying (6)

i do agree with mike that i think it is an attractive looking car but like past failures to lure people from other brands with the lincoln ls and the jag x type the zephyr will only sell to those who only buy fords anyway
TL? It's smaller, like a TSX. They can dream all they want.

That said, IF I was sticking to the family Ford discounts... I'd take a serious look at the Zephyr.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:17 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by M Type X
TL? It's smaller, like a TSX. They can dream all they want.

That said, IF I was sticking to the family Ford discounts... I'd take a serious look at the Zephyr.
Nah, it's bigger than the TSX. It has a stretched wheelbase version of the Mazda 6 platform, and the 6 is about the same size as the TSX.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:24 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Nah, it's bigger than the TSX. It has a stretched wheelbase version of the Mazda 6 platform, and the 6 is about the same size as the TSX.
The Lincoln LS is longer than the TL and hence the want a car bigger than the TSX but smaller than the TL to go against the TL?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Different segments.

I don't know what the specs on the Zephyr are yet, but the LS is rwd, sort of a wannabe E-class or 5-series but cheaper. The Zephyr is fwd with awd optional, competitor for the TL, ES330, Passat GLX, etc. It needs to be reasonably roomy in that segment, instead of more compact like a 3-series, A4 or TSX.

Quick Reply: 2006 Lincoln Zephyr