Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Acura RL Prototype Images

Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, definitely more sporty than the last RL. I thought Acura had nothing for me to move up to from my TL-S, but maybe I was wrong. This definietely looks pretty mean, especially in this shot.

The new 5 series has not grown on me, and neither has anything else in the class, but when it comes time to upgrade, maybe I'll be visiting my old salesman.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 04-07-2004, 12:21 PM
harshfellow

my overall impression of the exterior design is 4dr acura cl. I think the car looks best when viewed from the rear 3/4 but the front is missing the aggressiveness I thought Acura was pushing in their design language. I think the car is nice looking but I wouldn't think this was an acura without the badge.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 PM
ultramantaro

Default Wait another 6 -7 years

The TL wins hands down in terms of styling and this doesn't look like a flagship sedan. The interior is nicely styled though, but the exterior looks like it had another case of Japanese headquarters whack job. Not as controversial as the new GS, but it doesn't bring any grins. The 91 Legend still, in my mind, remains the best styled Legend/RL.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I think first and foremost, it needs a grille with a single bar running across to match the rest of the lineup.

In general there's very little adorning it and it looks kind of plain. I'd guess the overall shape is essentially finalized so there's not much that can be done in that regard. At least give it a little more brightwork. Some more chrome accents could actually class it up a bit. Hell, a freakin VW Jetta or Passat has more chrome than this thing. The bumpers and side skirts could also be made to look a bit more interesting. The car would still be pretty bland, but at least it would be less bland than it is right now.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I will say is...

Those who don't like it, SEE IT IN PERSON.

:naughty:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 04-07-2004, 02:39 PM
yianni64

I think it'll be a hit. Stack its looks, features, price, power, and so on against the S-Type 3.0, A6, STS, E320, and 530i. Combine that with the added value of the RL (assuming itll cost as much fully loaded as the base E320) I just hope the driving dynamics are there, and I think they will be if the car isnt too heavy and Acura doesnt skimp on the brakes/tires.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:42 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

I LIKE the squinty front end.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone notice how ginormous that dead pedal is? Looks to be nice

I don't think the extremely shiny center stack will stay that way for production.

Odd how much different Acura was in presenting the TL and RL concepts.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:08 PM
More&Faster

Originally Posted by ultramantaro
The TL wins hands down in terms of styling
im gonna have to disagree with you on that one. IMO the RL is definitely the more handsome car. need to see one in person to be sure, but thats how it looks from here.

this car should be very competitive now. i think it would help sales though if they could add another engine option. maybe a 350 hp 4.0 liter V8 or V6. maybe theyll do that down the line. either way its a damn good car in my eyes and it should do very well in the reviews.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Ochdx

i drive is gay, interior looks too bmw, the whole car looks like accord and 5 series had sex, still a v6, probably with no torque. probably heavy b/c of AWD. All in all, its pretty gay.