Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Nissan Altima SE-R

Old 03-02-2004, 01:53 PM
OLDZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Altima SE-R

For those who care:

"New York (Apr. 7, 2004) - After strong debuts of the 2005 Pathfinder and 2005 Frontier at the NAIAS in Detroit, Nissan surges ahead with another major vehicle introduction in New York – the debut of the all-new 2005 Xterra. Also being shown at the 2004 NYIAS is the all-new sport-inspired Altima SE-R and the Nissan Actic crossover concept. Join us for the Nissan press conference on Wednesday, April 7. Detailed information on all vehicles will be available following the press conference at http://www.nissannews.com."
I'm predicting that 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. The SE-R will only have supspension, brake, aero, and maybe +5HP in
modifications.

2. It will be AWD (Rumors are going around that there is some BIG surprise in
store), have at least 265HP, 6-speed, LSD, etc. Or maybe it will get
Neo-VVL?

If number 1 happens.....eh who cares?

If number 2 happens, that would be the nail in the Maximas coffin. Also since Honda is not one to lay idle in the HP wars, the accord concept that was shown a while back with the Powerful engine and all, will go into production to challenge the Altima.

Any other predictions?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

"Apr. 7, 2004" :eh:
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally Posted by OLDZ

I'm predicting that 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. The SE-R will only have supspension, brake, aero, and maybe +5HP in
modifications.

2. It will be AWD (Rumors are going around that there is some BIG surprise in
store), have at least 265HP, 6-speed, LSD, etc. Or maybe it will get
Neo-VVL?

If number 1 happens.....eh who cares?

If number 2 happens, that would be the nail in the Maximas coffin. Also since Honda is not one to lay idle in the HP wars, the accord concept that was shown a while back with the Powerful engine and all, will go into production to challenge the Altima.
Yeah, a performance Accord to eat into TL sales. Brilliant. Would be the same thing as the Altima eating the Max sales. So that would be bad in Nissan's case, yet OK in Honda's case?

So this SE-R Altima is probably going to cost at least $27K...My local Infiniti dealer sells base G35's for $27.9K all day long...Hmm...If you were spending that kind of $$$ on a sedan, why would it be on an Altima SE-R? No makes sense to I.

BTW, any pics?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:52 PM
OLDZ

I doubt that a performance version of the Accord would eat into the TL sales the way the Altima would eat the Maximas. For one the TL is 10x more luxurious than the Maxima, and it has a higher level of luxury compared to the accord.

no pics yet...
Old 03-02-2004, 04:12 PM
velfarretokyo

I wouldn't necessarily think a low-volume sports model of the Altima would put a dent in G35 sales. I'm assuming that the Altima SE-R would get some performance improvements such as more horsepower/torque, cosmetic improvements, a sportier interior, and MAYBE AWD. Even with the refresh, in terms of refinement and luxuriousness, its a few steps behind an Infiniti. And since interior changes are likely to be somewhat tacky, as they are on the Sentra SE-R, I'm sure that will be enough to steer would-be G35 buyers back to Infiniti dealerships.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally Posted by velfarretokyo
I wouldn't necessarily think a low-volume sports model of the Altima would put a dent in G35 sales. I'm assuming that the Altima SE-R would get some performance improvements such as more horsepower/torque, cosmetic improvements, a sportier interior, and MAYBE AWD. Even with the refresh, in terms of refinement and luxuriousness, its a few steps behind an Infiniti. And since interior changes are likely to be somewhat tacky, as they are on the Sentra SE-R, I'm sure that will be enough to steer would-be G35 buyers back to Infiniti dealerships.
I never meant to imply that the Altima SE-R would eat into G35 sales. I was simply mentioning a price comparison.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:09 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ILuvItTheJDM
Yeah, a performance Accord to eat into TL sales.
Go drive or sit in a TL and you'll see why it wouldn't even matter.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:29 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

the altima already eats into maxima sales...maxima sales are doing poorly compared to the mid 90s where the altima was a 4 door economy sedan and the maxima was a v6 powerhouse sporty sedan
Old 03-02-2004, 08:06 PM
zishan

yes but when you compare sales of the altima/maxima combo for those years to the current sales of the combination, I'd rather have the sales of today. Also, the maxima and altima are quite a bit more expensive then they were then, even when you add inflation into the mix.

The only way I would be impressed however with the se-r variant of the altima is if the get rid of all the torque steer. The only way I see them doing this is to add awd. If they dont do this then who really cares?
Old 03-03-2004, 12:44 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Why are you guys all convinced this Altima SE-R is going to have a V6? That part of Nissan's lineup is already overcrowded with the Altima 3.5SL and Maxima 3.5SE overlapping in price.

Maybe it'll be a sort of "tuner" interpretation of the four cylinder model?

Quick Reply: Nissan Altima SE-R