Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Mercedes-BEnz production CLS pics

Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes-BEnz production CLS pics

Powerful, smooth and economical: The engines for the new CLS-Coupé
A choice of two state-of-the-art petrol engines are available for the CLS-Class, both distinguished by majestic power development and exceptional torque characteristics. Dynamic driving pleasure is just a push of the right foot away.

Fitted with the newly developed V6 engine (200 kW/272 hp), the CLS 350 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 7.0 seconds (provisional data). Maximum torque of 350 Newton metres is available as low down as 2400 rpm, providing imposing pulling power for mid-range sprints or overtaking.

The responsive V6 engine links up with another new development fitted as standard in the CLS-Class: the 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission. The first transmission of its type for passenger cars, 7G-TRONIC makes a key contribution to the outstanding acceleration of the CLS 350 and its exemplary fuel consumption figures of 10.1 litres per 100 kilometres (NEDC combined, provisional data).

The six-cylinder coupé also comes as standard with THERMATIC automatic climate control, a stereo system, speed-sensitive steering, leather steering wheel, 17-inch light-alloy wheels and wide 245/45 R 17 tyres.

With its 5.0-litre V8 engine, the CLS 500 is a match for full-blooded sports cars such as the Mercedes-Benz SL Roadster in terms of output, whilst also offering the eight-cylinder comfort of a top-class saloon. The engine develops 225 kW/306 hp and generates peak torque of 460 Newton metres. Once again, the seven-speed automatic transmission is fitted as standard. The CLS 500 powers from 0 to 100 km/h in 6.1 seconds (provisional data) and on to a maximum speed which is limited at 250 km/h.

Other features of the standard equipment package for the CLS 500 which aren't fitted as standard in the CLS 350 include AIRMATIC DC air suspension, THERMOTRONIC luxury automatic climate control and 18-inch light-alloy wheels with wide 245/40 R 18 tyres.

Thinking ahead and setting the pace: The CLS-Class safety systems, including PRE-SAFE
Equipped with state-of-the-art safety technology such as adaptive front airbags, windowbags and sidebags, plus belt tensioners and belt force limiters on all seats, the CLS-Class offers impressive, typically Mercedes levels of occupant safety. In addition, customers will soon be able to order the multi-award-winning Mercedes safety system PRE-SAFE, which recognises critical driving situations in advance and activates occupant protection measures before an accident occurs. These include instantly tightening the seatbelts, which bring the driver and front passenger into a more favourable seating position ahead of a possible collision. This allows the airbags to provide effective protection for the occupants in the event of an impact.

When it comes to active safety, the new CLS-Class is fitted as standard with the Sensotronic Brake Control SBC™ system and the latest generation of the Electronic Stability Program ESP®, a clear display of Mercedes-Benz' technological leadership in the automotive industry. And the coupé is available as an option with a host of other innovations which make life on the road even safer. The high-output bi-xenon headlamps with the active cornering headlamp system, which Mercedes-Benz is offering for the first time with a cornering light function, are a good example.

DISTRONIC proximity control, the LINGUATRONIC voice-operated control system, the control and display system COMAND APS with its Europe-wide DVD navigation function and the keyless access and drive authorisation system KEYLESS-GO are further examples of Mercedes technology which can be ordered as an option to ensure even greater comfort and driving pleasure.

Mercedes-Benz unveiled a coupé study at the 2003 International Motor Show in Frankfurt aimed at gauging the public's appetite for the new CLS-Class. The widespread enthusiasm which greeted the four-door newcomer provided the Stuttgart-based car maker with the response it needed to give series production the green light. The CLS-Class Coupé will arrive in Mercedes-Benz' sales and service outlets and dealerships in autumn 2004.

The CLS is very attractive, both the interior and exterior is beautiful.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Dorikin
530i

I cannot wait for the AMG version..the first pic is just wow, the second pic..Im not too big on the roofline.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Ochdx

why does the article say coupe, when it has 4 doors?

that interior looks like 1980 buick - way too much fake wood
Old 02-20-2004, 02:21 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Ochdx
why does the article say coupe, when it has 4 doors?

that interior looks like 1980 buick - way too much fake wood
It is a four door coupe thats the purpose of the CLS or I thought it was. As for the interior it wood look really good if the "fake wood" was similar to the one in the concept.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:36 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like it. No sir, I do not. Too bulbous. Too droopy. Too something. I mean, nice car, but not a wow.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:21 PM
RB26DETT
Eagles > NFL

ugh.. does not look like a mb to me
Old 02-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Tirod

i love it... and i too dont understand the whole 4door coupe thing minus the rx8
Old 02-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Ochdx

this four door coupe crap is just crap! i just realized what this car really reminds me of: lincoln town car
Old 02-20-2004, 07:30 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

What makes you think the wood on the dash is fake? Jaguar has a similar treatment to their dashes and they use a huge swath of wood, even on the X-type.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly the point of this thing is. As much as they call it a coupe, it seems to me like it's a chop-top sedan. The proportions suggest the exterior dimensions will be as big as an S-Class but the interior will be less roomy than an E-Class.

Maybe now that Jaguar has made the XJ roomy, Mercedes decided to steal the formula for the old one?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Civic2Scooby

I was just gonna say....the wood isnt neccessarily fake....

Quick Reply: Mercedes-BEnz production CLS pics