Notices

Question for the experienced riders.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the experienced riders.

A question and I gotta vent at the same time...

I'm still getting used to the CBR600RR, especially in turns. One of two things always happens.

1. As I approach the turn, I start thinking about the mechanics of turning. I start concentrating on scrubbing off speed before the turn, rolling on the throttle, leaning, body position, the whole thing. I end up either going slightly wide or making corrections mid turn. I end up all

2. Sometimes I just turn. My body takes over, and does everything almost without thought. Everything just seems to happen seamlessly and seemingly effortlessly. I complete the turn and am all

My previous rides have been a Honda Shadow 600 and a Honda Silverwing 600 Maxi-Scoot. The CBR is a completely different animal from either of those sleds. I get out and ride and practice whenever I can.

I'm wondering how long it will be until I'm no longer and am most of the time.

How long did it take for you guys?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Cyclonus
UP AND ADD THEM

I think it took me several weeks to a month for my body form and technique to be second nature.

I remember a few times during a turn I carelessly blipped the throttle or gave too much brake before a turn and things got thrown out of rhythm.

Just gotta be smooooooth. Control your posture and body form mostly with your thighs pressed against the gas tank. It will relieve the pressure on your shoulders, arm, and back. Brake, look, push, lean, turn. :thumbup:
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
ENFORCER

The riding style from cruiser to sport is def different. I went from an XR650l enduro (which corners even worse then a scooter I would imagine) to my 599. I agree with Cyclonus...... took me at least a month. Don't over think it. Just pay attention to your speed and get your body use to cornering. In a few months your body will automatically be doing what it needs to do and then you can focus on improving and smoothing your braking/throttle techniques. Right now your body is going to be resisting leaning over as its not use to going farther then your Shadow or Silverwing required.

What I did was go find a nice corner with decent pavement out in the middle of nowhere..... make sure there was no stone in the turn, and then go back and fourth over it in BOTH directions to work on my cornering. If you use to making hard right turns dont expect that you can preform the same in a hard left turn. I found this out early on (almost the hard way) when I took a turn and my body didnt want to go down as far as the other side would. I went wide and almost ditched in the gravel on the shoulder. Thankfully my dirtbike days kicked in and I was able to save it. So.... pratice leaning in both directions

Last edited by ENFORCER; 06-15-2009 at 10:43 AM.