Notices

What do you guys think of the maxi-scooters?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think of the maxi-scooters?

I'm seriously considering a Suzuki Burgman 650. The more I look at what I want out of 2-wheel transportation, the more this makes sense.
  • Step through design
  • Under seat, lockable storage
  • Locking Glovebox w/cigarette lighter power adapter
  • Two storage cubbies
  • Twin front disc brakes, single rear.
  • Comfortable seat w/backrest
  • Wind protection
  • Windshield
  • 650cc
  • CVT transmission, w/ power and manual mode
  • Side-stand
  • Center-stand
  • Digital Tachometer
  • Digital Speedo
  • Dual Trip meter
  • Outside Ambient Air Temp display
I went to a dealership this morning, and compared a Burgman 650 to a Honda Silverwing. The Burgman was just better. The Silverwing felt dated.

I also sat on a SV650, Yamaha FZ-6, Aprilla Shiver, Piaggio MP3 500, 2003 Honda ST1300. Every time, I kept on going back to the Burgman.

Last edited by Megatron; 06-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 AM
bnuk

those are weird cause people will look at it and think "scooter" it is probably as fast as my nighthawk. A friend of mine had one those and his girlfriend loved it cause it was real easy to get on. The storage on those things is also MASSIVE.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Being on a motorcycle for a year, I've learned what I like and what I don't like.

I'm not a cruiser type of person. I don't buy into that whole image. Black leather, loud pipes, thumpy v-twins.

I'm not a sport-bike person. I like sport-bikes, but I just won't ever use a sport-bike to it's fullest. Why pay for something you won't use?

I like standards, and there aren't many to choose from.

I'm commuting to and from work and joy-riding. A Burgman 650 just makes sense. While it costs more to purchase than say a DL650 V-Strom, the Burgman has all the things I want already built in. Add that stuff aftermarket onto the V-Strom, and the Burgman just makes even more sense.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 AM
mr22na
Miss It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DRZ400

better MPG...and will be more fun to drive...

that thing is made for 60 year olds...think about how boring that thing must be to drive...i couldnt do that to myself but if you can awesome...

i noticed you said commuting to work--> good choice
i noticed you said joyriding---> theres just no way it can be a "blast: to drive

Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Cool bike, but not for me. Can't carry anything on it. I guess you could probably strap on a teeny tiny bag to the tail of it.
Originally Posted by mr22na

that thing is made for 60 year olds...think about how boring that thing must be to drive...i couldnt do that to myself but if you can awesome...

i noticed you said commuting to work--> good choice
i noticed you said joyriding---> theres just no way it can be a "blast: to drive
650cc parallel twin engine? Top speed of 110mph? It's got to be somewhat fun to ride.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 AM
mr22na
Miss It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Megatron
Cool bike, but not for me. Can't carry anything on it. I guess you could probably strap on a teeny tiny bag to the tail of it.

650cc parallel twin engine? Top speed of 110mph? It's got to be somewhat fun to ride.
what do u mean by fun?
b.c you cant shift gears with a clutch, it cant handle all that well, it cant bang through the turns,

so i guess in a straight line maybe it might be able to keep up with a Harley (maybe)

idk it doesn't sound like a hole lot of fun to me, but if that floats your boat then get it and post up some videos..

and you can get bags for the super motos.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

I ended up buying a Silverwing.

It's a used 2007 with 2500 miles on it. The previous owner had purchased a five year extended warranty through Honda. I have warranty coverage until 2012 :e39:

To me, it's fast. Twist the throttle and I'm gone. I was cruising down a stretch of road and felt like I was maybe doing 50mph. I looked at the speedometer and I was going 70mph. It's nimble and corners well. I'm happy with it.

I no longer have to deal with spoked rims w/ tubed tires. I no longer have to deal with a carubretor. I no longer have to put up with a V-Twin that would vibrate my hands numb at 65mph.

The best part is the under seat storage:

Last edited by Megatron; 06-29-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM
bnuk

Originally Posted by Megatron
I ended up buying a Silverwing.

The best part is the under seat storage:

I'm def. with you on that. I have enough storage for maybe a pair of gloves.