Notices

What Brand/Model Helmet do you use?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Brand/Model Helmet do you use?

I just picked up a used 2003 Honda Shadow VLX a few days ago. Right now it's in the garage. Being a new rider, I don't want to ride until I get a helmet. If you use a helmet, what brand/model helmet do you use?

My motorcycle:

Last edited by Megatron; 07-08-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful bike, Im already itching to upgrade *itches*

Anywho, I have an HJC "half face" helmet (i think that is what its called) I kinda want to get a full face.. the wind still gets in my face with the half. I dont know what to do with this helmet though, cause I read that you shouldnt buy/sell your old helmets.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Originally Posted by darkstarr

Anywho, I have an HJC "half face" helmet (i think that is what its called) I kinda want to get a full face.. the wind still gets in my face with the half. I dont know what to do with this helmet though, cause I read that you shouldnt buy/sell your old helmets.
Told ya you shouldn't have gone with the Rebel...h:

LOVE the bike. I started on the 95 version of that.

I ride with a Scorpion EXO-400full face.

I rode full face even on my cruiser. Just more protection.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Originally Posted by darkstarr
Originally Posted by Draconius

LOVE the bike. I started on the 95 version of that.

I rode full face even on my cruiser. Just more protection.
I read the rebel thread before buying the Shadow. I picked up alot of good advice from that thread. The other bike I was considering was a Honda Nighthawk 250, and I'm glad I didn't purchase it.

I'm thinking of getting a HJC CL-Max (the full face helmet where the chin bar can swing upwards).

I also have to get proper riding gloves, and a proper riding jacket (w/armor). I already have over the ankle boots.

Thanks for the kind compliments on the motorcycle. It only has 750 mi on the odometer. The previous owner just rode it every once in a while, and kept it in the garage. The paint is perfect. The left rear turn signal housing is gouged, so I'll eventually replace it. The previous owner didn't clean the wheel rims out, so they had minor surface rust and pitting. I'm polishing them out. The dealership changed all the fluids, cleaned and lubed the chain, checked all cables, brakes, & battery.

Being a motorcycle newbie, I'm taking things very slowly and carefully. I've taken and passed the MSF basic riding skills course. I want to get some seat time in this year so that I can take the experienced course next year.

Last edited by Megatron; 07-08-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:02 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha well, no regrets in buying it other than the fact I still dont have a plate for it (hopefully this month). There were some issues with the title. Anywho, I have someone lined up to buy the Rebel as soon as its in my name
Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Originally Posted by Megatron
Being a motorcycle newbie, I'm taking things very slowly and carefully. I've taken and passed the MSF basic riding skills course. I want to get some seat time in this year so that I can take the experienced course next year.
Good move on the MSF course.

As for a good jacket, I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 and that this is awesome. Face shield pocket, Headphone hole, zip out liner, strong mesh, full armor (Back, Shoulders, Elbows, lower back, hip.)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Good move on the MSF course.

As for a good jacket, I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 and that this is awesome. Face shield pocket, Headphone hole, zip out liner, strong mesh, full armor (Back, Shoulders, Elbows, lower back, hip.)
The MSF course was very educational. Nothing like having a certified instructor drilling into you the riding basics.

I'll have to check out the jacket you mentioned.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

darkstarr do you have any pics of your helmet?

i drove my father in laws bike yesterday, he has a half face helmet with full shield.... it was nice i felt like i could see 100% field of vision. I have CTS full face helmet, it came with the bike... i dont really like it, doesnt fit well and i dont feel like i can see as well as i'd like to. I'd like to go with half face but the fear of doing a face plant and destroying my face.... :nervous: the strange thing about that, i dont worry about wearing a jacket or anything like that. do need to get some decent riding boots though...
Old 07-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

If you cannot see 98% of your field of vision with a full face you are NOT wearing a proper full face. You should see just a tiny halo of padding on a full face and you should get chipmunk cheeks doing it.

Go in and have a guy fit you to a helmet.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 PM
bnuk

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but if you have a very generic shaped/sized head, ebay can be a pretty good source. obviously stick to name brands ones that are new or obviously only used once or twice. I got my wife a brand new perfect condition Shoei (last years model) for $65. Keep in mind there is no replacement for having one fitted by a pro.