Notices

Sport bike tips

Old 07-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Black95Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport bike tips

Alright, heres the deal. I have had my motorcycles license for about one year now and i have been riding my dads honda shadow for a while. My parents so far will not let me get a sport bike because all they hear is bad things. I REALLY want an R6. So I guess what I am asking is, what are some things that I could tell my parents about sport bikes that might change their minds about them. I do not know much about sport bikes except that they look badass, haha. I am familiar with riding a motorcycle, so its not like a sport bike would be the first bike that ive ridin.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 05:52 AM
goon54

u could tell them u can hit 0-60 in about 2secs.
how old are u? if ur folks have a say in what u ride, i guess its final. but good luck dude!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
StylinM

Well although you've ridden a cruiser bike, it is somewhat similar because it is a bike in general but, more so you are riding a bike that is meant for cruises and not really meant for tearing up the street that a street sport bike usually entails. Because your dad rides means that you have a good chance of owning your own bike as well, because it would be hypocritical if he weren't to let you ride. The reason why your parents won't let you ride a sport bike is because of the stigma it carries.

Maybe your parents dont want you to ride a Sport bike because they think it will kill you faster then a cruiser. It really doesnt matter what bike your on, cause either way you are invisible to all the cagers anyhow. But what matters to your parents is that a sport bike has the abilities to do more on the street then a cruiser will. PLus with the temptation of stunting might give your ego a boost and cause you to fall and have an accident.

If you are intent with a sport bike, get a Ninja 250/500 and prove to them that although the ninja 250/500 is under the 600 sport range it will atleast give them a sense of peace that you are willing to start at a lower cc bike and to prove that a sport bike can be just as safe as a cruiser. Then when they've felt comofrtable with you riding on your own then maybe they will let you buy your R6.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go and buy an R6 and try to hide it from your family, one way or another they will find out and they probably wont let you ride ever again. ANd when you get into an accident it is something that your parent s wont be to happy to hear.

Good luck though
Old 07-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Black95Accord

I have been told by many people to start out with a Ninja 500 or a Suzuki GS500F. I would probably plan on getting around a 98 or so. Do either of these bikes hold their value?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:36 PM
sunnykk

I used to ride an R6. It was sweeeeeeet!

Some things that might help your folks make the decision in your favor.

1. Agree to go to a riding school
2. Agree to wear helmet and leather jacket with adequate padding

If they agree, next step, make sure no one sees you speeding or not wearing a helmet that knows your folks. That's bad news.

Acknoledge the fact that it is dangerous to ride a bike.

Hope this helps
Old 07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
katana62678

Sportbikes are commenly categorized largely, first, you should look at the bikes as two categories. Sticking with Yamaha, the R1, and R6 would fall into the superbike category, and the YZF600R into the Sportbike category. This is also sometimes referred to as a more sport-touring type bike. The 600R is basically the same setup as an R6, except it's one long seat, and minus the EFI. Also to insurance, it is not considered a race bike. This may be a good place to start with your folks, you would be then willing to compromise. Plus riding a cruiser going right to a race bike/superbike is quite a jump. Once you have a year or two on, what I suggest a 2-3 year old bike, then sell and get your R6. Buying a used bike first is good, not only if you put it down, but when you go to resell you will not lose that much money.

I bought my first bike for 3400, and sold it 6 years later for 2700, only upgrade I did was a used pipe from ebay. Not much loss, and yes, it had gone down.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
sunnykk

Originally Posted by katana62678
Sportbikes are commenly categorized largely, first, you should look at the bikes as two categories. Sticking with Yamaha, the R1, and R6 would fall into the superbike category, and the YZF600R into the Sportbike category. This is also sometimes referred to as a more sport-touring type bike. The 600R is basically the same setup as an R6, except it's one long seat, and minus the EFI. Also to insurance, it is not considered a race bike. This may be a good place to start with your folks, you would be then willing to compromise. Plus riding a cruiser going right to a race bike/superbike is quite a jump. Once you have a year or two on, what I suggest a 2-3 year old bike, then sell and get your R6. Buying a used bike first is good, not only if you put it down, but when you go to resell you will not lose that much money.

I bought my first bike for 3400, and sold it 6 years later for 2700, only upgrade I did was a used pipe from ebay. Not much loss, and yes, it had gone down.

I agree, Buy a used bike first. You won't feel bad when you drop it and trust me, you will drop it.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by Black95Accord
I have been told by many people to start out with a Ninja 500 or a Suzuki GS500F. I would probably plan on getting around a 98 or so. Do either of these bikes hold their value?
My first street bike was a 91 Honda VTR 250. I paid 1300 bucks for it used. I sold it a year later and 10 more thousands miles on it for 1500 bucks. For the most part, they do hold their value if you don't wreck it or blow the motor up.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Originally Posted by Black95Accord
So I guess what I am asking is, what are some things that I could tell my parents about sport bikes that might change their minds about them.
Hmm... this is a tough one since I think sportbikes are genuinely dangerous if you're not experienced enough. Sportbikes and cruisers are two machines that both have it's similarities but are still very different in terms of how they do things(especially MODERN ones). Anyway, tell them they are reliable pieces of transportation and won't leave you out in the middle of no where. Next you can say, it's cheaper than a Harley Davidson(not including the Sportser models). Then you can say they are easily maneuverable and get you out of certain situations that a cruiser can't. That's all I can think of right now for you to tell your parents about sportbikes.

And I know you didn't ask this question but if you want to know what you can say to your folks to show you are responsible to own one, you can tell them you will take more classes on how to become a better rider, you can tell them you will start out on a small sportbike so you can work your way up, and you can tell them you will properly wear all the right gear everytime you hop on the saddle.

And about the EX500 and GS500... awesome bikes. I had a GS500 before. It was a really fun bike... till I sold it due to some financial issues. I probably would still have it today instead of the F4i. The gs is more comfortable, more upright and could be easily be ridden longer than most modern sportbikes. Sure they can go faster but by the end of the day, who do you think will be more sore, the guy on the GS or the guy on the supersport? And a GS can easily hold it's own on the twisties with an experienced rider behind the controls.

This is just what I think. Other people may agree or disagree. It's up to you to make that final decision.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Black95Accord

Originally Posted by sunnykk

Some things that might help your folks make the decision in your favor.

1. Agree to go to a riding school
2. Agree to wear helmet and leather jacket with adequate padding
About 2 years ago I took the abate riding course. Then for about a year I did not even touch a motorcycle so I decided to take the course again with a buddy of mine who has an F4i.
I will probably always wear a helmet and a leather jacket when I ride. I don't even feel comfortable with riding my dads shadow for a block without a helmet.