Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

winter tire tread pattern

Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
trails

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tire tread pattern

I have two 205/70/15 nordics with 9mm and am looking for 2 more for the winter. I found two more nordics 205/70/15 with 9mm as well but the tread pattern is different. same size and tread depth but different pattern.

I was wondering if they would work on my 97 CR-V. I've read that different sizes/tread depth on the tires will cause the all wheel drive to kick on and over heat but will it kick in with just the tread pattern different?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Carbuff

Tire Circumference, not tread pattern, is the determining factor. Have the seller measure the distance around each tire.

Then you measure yours...they should be within 2% for proper operation of the RT4WD.

One CRV owner had a blowout on a newer CRV...got another Bridgestone Dueller (OE Tire) with the exact same tread...but the aftermarket tire was a different circumference! Caused some problems.... :nervous: Eventually the tire dealer had to order an OE replacement tire to make everything well...
Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 AM
trails

what if I was to put the tires that are a little larger on the front.... then they will not spin quicker than the rear ones?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by trails
what if I was to put the tires that are a little larger on the front.... then they will not spin quicker than the rear ones?
Larger tires spin slower. (Less revolutions per mile)

It's the DIFFERENCE between front and rear speed that wears out the differential. Honda allows only 2% difference IIRC.

Try to get the same circumference...or buy a set of four new tires...