Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

98 CR-V front & rear clunking

Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 AM
larryn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 CR-V front & rear clunking

Hi, I have a clunking in the front and rear of my 98 CR-V when going over bumps. After reading all the posts I could find on this topic, it appears that this problem in the front is caused by either the sway bar bushings, end links, or tie rod ends. For the rear, either the bushings or end links. So, I drove the car up on ramps and took a look underneath. Regarding the tie rod ends, I am able to move them and make them clunk. They are not real loose but there is a little bit of grease coming out of the boots. The bushings look good and the end links look good and appear tight, but, as others have reported, its hard to tell if they are bad. So, looking for suggestions on what to replace first. I am inclined to try the tie rod ends, but, others have not said that replacing these has solved the problem. It always seems like the end links are the culprit. For the rear, I am inclined to replace the bushings and the end links but thought I’d ask for advice. That’s for any help you can provide. larry
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 AM
trails

i also have clunking from the front.. the sway bar links looked good but i decided to replace them anyway.... did not change anything because my spring was broken... look for a broken spring... maybe?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Carbuff

You can't always hear or feel the links making noise when looking under the car.

From the experience on other forums, replace parts in this order:

Sway Bar End Links ... 90% chance of success
Sway Bar Bushes ... 5% chance
Tie Rod Ends ... 5% chance

Last edited by Carbuff; 06-14-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 AM
larryn

thanks for your advice. I have ordered a set of four sway bar links to replace front and rear. Will post results after replacing.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
lemmyb

Or it may be your shocks!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 AM
larryn

Default success

I finally got around to replacing the sway bar links and no more clunking. I only replaced the front ones and that seemed to fix everything. Perhaps the clunks that i thought were coming from the rear when the rear wheels went over a bump were actually coming from the front? In any event, I bought all four so I will replace the rear ones anyway. I purchased these as a set of four on ebay for a little over $60.00. Much cheaper than buying at local auto parts store. Also, some advice on replacing; make sure you clean the exposed part of the threads before removing the nuts on the old links. That will make the job much easier. Also, make sure you have a good hex tool for holding the shaft when turning the nut. I had such trouble with one that I had to use my reciprocating saw to cut the shaft since the nut would just not budge after a few turns. Use plenty of WD-40. good luck. larry
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by larryn
some advice on replacing; make sure you clean the exposed part of the threads before removing the nuts on the old links. That will make the job much easier. Also, make sure you have a good hex tool for holding the shaft when turning the nut. I had such trouble with one that I had to use my reciprocating saw to cut the shaft since the nut would just not budge after a few turns. Use plenty of WD-40. good luck. larry
This is a common problem.

A Dremel with a cut-off tool can be your best friend on this job.

Me, I've encased my swaybar link threads in grease to ward off corrosion. I like to think ahead. :rant: