Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

rear brake shoes 97 CRV

Old 01-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Spec R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake shoes 97 CRV

i went to work on the GF's crv and bought brake parts for all corners (not inspecting the rears first) and took off the rear drums to find this.

i thought they were going to be way more worn, as I dont think they've ever been changed (128k miles). anyway, the new shoe is there for reference.

any thoughts - meaning, whats the life expectancy of these shoes? they look to be factory honda. at the very least, theres about 30k miles on them, as she got the car just before it hit 100k.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
cruzalekz

the right side looks about 3 or 4 more months to go. but if i were you, ill changed them anyways while you still have availlable time.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
the right side looks about 3 or 4 more months to go. but if i were you, ill changed them anyways while you still have availlable time.
x2

I bet the rear shoes were never adjusted so they were not doing much.

If you put the new shoes on, be sure to adjust them once or twice in the first few thousand miles.

I adjusted the rears on a friend's Civic and he couldn't believe how much better they worked!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Spec R

i'm a lame-o when it comes to drums. i wouldnt even know how to adjust them properly. i did notice that the rear shoes were less worn.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Carbuff

i'm a lame-o when it comes to drums. i wouldnt even know how to adjust them properly.
Even if you adjust the star-wheel as tight as you can (so the drum will JUST fit over the the shoes) it will be enough.

BTW since you claim ignorance (a rare trait these days unch: ) be sure to put some hi temp brake lube on the backing plates where the shoes rub. I smear the lube on both sides of a metal ruler to apply. A little dab'll do ya.